how long does it need for a mail to reach UK?
Thread poster: Mueen Issa
Mueen Issa
Mueen Issa  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 7, 2004

بعثت برسالة إلى المملكة المتحدة بتاريخ 28/7 وحتى الىن لم تصل. الرسالة غير مسجلة، وعادية ولكن كنت أتوقع أن تصل خلال 4-5 ايام، هل يعرف أحدكم كم تأخذ؟ أو هل التأخير وارد فعلا؟

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
These days, snail mail takes longer and may never be delivered Aug 9, 2004

The reason is intensive mail inspection as a counter-terrorism measure. Mail traveling from an Arab, Muslim, or Middle Eastern country to a Western country is especially targeted. Other profile elements make some mail items even more susceptible to intensive inspection. These include:

- Mailed from a Foreign Country
- Excessive Postage
- Misspelled Words
- Addressed to Title Only
- Wrong Title with Name
- Rigid or Bulky
- Badly Typed or Hand
... See more
The reason is intensive mail inspection as a counter-terrorism measure. Mail traveling from an Arab, Muslim, or Middle Eastern country to a Western country is especially targeted. Other profile elements make some mail items even more susceptible to intensive inspection. These include:

- Mailed from a Foreign Country
- Excessive Postage
- Misspelled Words
- Addressed to Title Only
- Wrong Title with Name
- Rigid or Bulky
- Badly Typed or Hand Written
- Marked with restrictive endorsements, such as "Personal" or "Confidential."
- No Return Address or have one that can't be verified as legitimate
- Lopsided, protruding, oddly shaped, or of unusual weight, given the size
- Have protruding wires, strange odors or stains.
- The city or state in the postmark doesn't match the return address.

To read more about this, take a look here:

http://www.state.sd.us/suspiciousmail.htm
Collapse

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
A letter to Ireland took a week Aug 12, 2004

لقد بعثت برسالة مسجلة إلى ايرلندا من فترة وجيزة ووصلت في خلال أسبوع على ما أتذكر، وهو الوقت الطبيعي لوصول مثل هذه الرسائل.

إذا كانت مسجلة اعتقد أنك تستطيعين تتبعها.

هنا في مصر في حالة إرسال وثائق هامة للخارج، نستخدم البريد الدولي أو الDHL

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Middle East -> UK Aug 14, 2004

Hello Mueen,
I live in Britain and regularly send and receive mail from the Middle East. The shortest time it should take is 4 days and at most 2 weeks, however, on occasions when I have sent bulky letters or parcels, they have taken anything up to three months to be delivered!
If your mail is urgent, then the best thing to do is to send it recorded, otherwise you just have to wait. Mail does frequently get lost as well, however I personally find that the service is worse to other p
... See more
Hello Mueen,
I live in Britain and regularly send and receive mail from the Middle East. The shortest time it should take is 4 days and at most 2 weeks, however, on occasions when I have sent bulky letters or parcels, they have taken anything up to three months to be delivered!
If your mail is urgent, then the best thing to do is to send it recorded, otherwise you just have to wait. Mail does frequently get lost as well, however I personally find that the service is worse to other parts of the world than the Mid East.
I hope your letter is delivered soon
Aisha

[Edited at 2004-08-14 04:37]

[Edited at 2004-08-14 04:37]
Collapse

Mueen Issa
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
شكرا للجميع Aug 15, 2004

سوف أنتظر بضعة أيام من الآن لعلها تصل، وإلا فسوف أعاود الكرة.
شكرا للأستاذ فؤاد على المعلومات ولعائشة فرسالتي عبارة عن طرد تقريبا، ربما هذا هو السبب في التأخير أيضا.
وليناديا أيضا شكرا.

معين عيسى

Mueen Issa
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
they got it Sep 1, 2004

Just today. it took over a month, but fortunately it's there. thanx everybody.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how long does it need for a mail to reach UK?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »