HTML tags in a Word document - how to handle them in Trados?
Thread poster: Robgo
Robgo
Robgo
Austria
Local time: 20:50
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 30, 2021

I have a Word document that contains a lot of HTML tags and also German Umlaute that I think are in HTML format.
I tried to open it in Trados but it's still a mess.
Can I set up Trados so that it will make the tags easier to handle and show me the Umlaute not as HTML but as they should be?
In other words: Is this mess manageable in Trados or do I have to live with it / request another format?

I upload an example as an image file as otherwise the problem with the U
... See more
I have a Word document that contains a lot of HTML tags and also German Umlaute that I think are in HTML format.
I tried to open it in Trados but it's still a mess.
Can I set up Trados so that it will make the tags easier to handle and show me the Umlaute not as HTML but as they should be?
In other words: Is this mess manageable in Trados or do I have to live with it / request another format?

I upload an example as an image file as otherwise the problem with the Umlaute won't be shown:

Any help is much appreciated.

Tags und HTML
Collapse

Noel McCourt
Noel McCourt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
English
Request the HTML or create your own Jun 30, 2021

It's possible your client has mistakenly tried to make it easier for you by copying the contents of an HTML file into Word for you to translate.

You could request the original HTML file and assure the client the tools you use will protect the HTML code - the entities should also be taken care off.

Alternatively, you could copy to a text editor and save with an HTML extension then open in Trados. After translation, copy the content from the target file in your text edito
... See more
It's possible your client has mistakenly tried to make it easier for you by copying the contents of an HTML file into Word for you to translate.

You could request the original HTML file and assure the client the tools you use will protect the HTML code - the entities should also be taken care off.

Alternatively, you could copy to a text editor and save with an HTML extension then open in Trados. After translation, copy the content from the target file in your text editor back to Word. The only problem might be, if there is any formatting in the Word document other than plain text as this will be lost during the c&p, but a quick test will tell you if the target Word document will have the same formatting after translation.
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Yaotl Altan

Robgo
Robgo
Austria
Local time: 20:50
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 30, 2021

Thank you so much, Noel, I will try to get the HTML file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML tags in a Word document - how to handle them in Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »