Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
Local time: 02:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 2, 2021

Dear colleagues,
A general question: is there an efficient way to align and create TMs from a huge number of source-target Word file pairs (~4,000 files)?

Background for the above question: despite working in the field for over 20 years (in-house/private customer base), I rarely had to use CAT tools. Currently, I'm looking for a way to create TMs from thousands of projects I translated over the years.

I am not referring to a specific software, so looking for advic
... See more
Dear colleagues,
A general question: is there an efficient way to align and create TMs from a huge number of source-target Word file pairs (~4,000 files)?

Background for the above question: despite working in the field for over 20 years (in-house/private customer base), I rarely had to use CAT tools. Currently, I'm looking for a way to create TMs from thousands of projects I translated over the years.

I am not referring to a specific software, so looking for advice regarding any software and methods that would allow me to do it (if there are any). The only way I know is via Trados, which would take ages - unless there is some efficient method I'm not aware of.

[Edited at 2021-08-02 20:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-02 20:43 GMT]
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
ABBYY Aligner Aug 2, 2021

ABBYY Aligner may help.
It has a batch alignment feature.

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! I'll check it out. Aug 2, 2021

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

ABBYY Aligner may help.

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:53
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
SDLX Aug 3, 2021

I prefer using SDLX (yes, I know) for this. I recommend you give it a try if you have an old Trados license lying around.

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 3, 2021

Grigori Gazarian wrote:

I prefer using SDLX (yes, I know) for this. I recommend you give it a try if you have an old Trados license lying around.

I do actually have an old Trados license. Thanks for the advice!

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Is it worth it? Aug 4, 2021

I am not sure if creating TMs from a multitude of Word file pairs is worth it. I know of no TM alignment tool that can process a number of source files and their corresponding target files simultaneously. You can align only one pair of files.

You may consider starting a new TM and a glossary if you have not yet used one. Modern CAT tools provide term extraction functionality whereby you can create a glossary.

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for replying Aug 5, 2021

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

I am not sure if creating TMs from a multitude of Word file pairs is worth it. I know of no TM alignment tool that can process a number of source files and their corresponding target files simultaneously. You can align only one pair of files.

You may consider starting a new TM and a glossary if you have not yet used one. Modern CAT tools provide term extraction functionality whereby you can create a glossary.

If it'd be possible, then yes, it would definitely be worth it, particularly because I have a huge number of file pairs on a certain subject that I haven't touched for years and now have a chance to do projects in that field again. It required an extensive research back in the day and currently, I don't have the time to dive into that field again due to being overloaded with my daily tasks.

I'm aware of the option to start a new TM, but at this point, in this particular case, it's a "do it quick or don't do it at all" type of thing. If there's no easy option, I'll just have to skip that opportunity.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
AlignFactory Aug 6, 2021

Georgi Kovachev wrote:
I know of no TM alignment tool that can process a number of source files and their corresponding target files simultaneously.
AlignFactory can do that. But it has a stratospheric price though, at least for a freelance translator.

UPD: Actually, you can open one file and insert 3999 files into it, both for source and target (when in the first Word file, press Ctrl+End, Ctrl+Enter, click 'Insert' tab, click the 'Object' dropdown arrow in 'Text' group, select 'Text from file', select all files exept the one which is already opened). And then aligh them.

[Edited at 2021-08-06 21:53 GMT]

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
10-day trial Aug 6, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

AlignFactory can do that. But it has a stratospheric price though, at least for a freelance translator.

I'll write them an email to request a 10-day trial.
Спасибо за идею!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Updated comment above. Aug 6, 2021

This is just to make sure you have seen my update.
Aslo, they told me that they can somehow apply "Student" price even if you are not a student. I did not request for further details how, but you can ask them though. I plan to ask them later when my trial period is over.

[Edited at 2021-08-06 22:11 GMT]

Garry Black
Garry Black
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Noted Aug 7, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

This is just to make sure you have seen my update.
Aslo, they told me that they can somehow apply "Student" price even if you are not a student. I did not request for further details how, but you can ask them though. I plan to ask them later when my trial period is over.

[Edited at 2021-08-06 22:11 GMT]

Thank you for the update and info in your last post!

Stepan Konev

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:53
English to French
+ ...
Segmentation Aug 8, 2021

I have done lots of alignments.
Align Factory is good to help you double-check aligned text.

However, if you are looking at a vast amount of data, a big issue is misalignment due to segmentation issues. When many segments are misaligned, the time spent fixing it may outweigh the benefit of having the alignment done.

What I usually recommend is the Wordfast Aligner on wordfast.net (not DOT COM). It's actively developed and has smart features built-in to omit TUs th
... See more
I have done lots of alignments.
Align Factory is good to help you double-check aligned text.

However, if you are looking at a vast amount of data, a big issue is misalignment due to segmentation issues. When many segments are misaligned, the time spent fixing it may outweigh the benefit of having the alignment done.

What I usually recommend is the Wordfast Aligner on wordfast.net (not DOT COM). It's actively developed and has smart features built-in to omit TUs that are potentially misaligned. I personally prefer less but more accurate TUs.
It's free, you just copy-paste the text in the boxes on the website.

Here's the link if you want to try it:
https://www.wordfast.net/?go=align
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
French UI Aug 8, 2021

@Garry Black
If/When you choose to start your trial period, could you please advise if you have the Alignment Editor in English or in French. Even when I select English in the Language settings, the major part of the UI is in English, but Alignment Editor still remains in French. I asked them if it was a limitation of the trial version, but they said no, it must be in English regarless of the trial version. Do you experience that either?

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Can't find it Aug 8, 2021

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

ABBYY Aligner may help.

Do you happen to have a link for this? I can't find it.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Link Aug 8, 2021

Ines R, PhD wrote:
Can't find it
https://abbyy.store/aligner-freelance/
However it does not allow you to align multiple files simultaneously. Batch processing means that you can prepare multiple files for alignment but you still work with each pair of files individually.

[Edited at 2021-08-08 19:11 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Alignment

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »