Is there a functional alternative to Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor!?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Oct 1, 2021

!!RANT ALERT!!

I'm so sick of using Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor for Lionbridge work.

Nowadays in the linguistic sign-off checklist there's a checkbox to confirm we've only used TW XLIFF Editor, and the only sneaky work arounds were listed back between 2013-2015 (nothing seems to have changed, it's still crap!).

While we can unzip XLZ and use the xliff files in Trados/memoQ/Wordfast (my tool), I can't see a way we can then connect to the provided TMs.
... See more
!!RANT ALERT!!

I'm so sick of using Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor for Lionbridge work.

Nowadays in the linguistic sign-off checklist there's a checkbox to confirm we've only used TW XLIFF Editor, and the only sneaky work arounds were listed back between 2013-2015 (nothing seems to have changed, it's still crap!).

While we can unzip XLZ and use the xliff files in Trados/memoQ/Wordfast (my tool), I can't see a way we can then connect to the provided TMs.

Does anyone have a functional alternative, or must we grit our teeth and put up with this archaic nightmare... (I shared earlier how to negotiate out of the stupid monthly subscription for it, but still am not happy with it.) Linguistic Toolbox does not make up for anything - they're both crap.

I've been using it for EN localisations for years and have put up with it because localisations don't rely on TM matches. This week got sent a relatively large TH>EN translation that relied heavily on their (very literally translated + crap) TM matches to come up with the 'effort word count'. Now, this 'world first' (and never updated since) SaaS CAT tool's tag inserter doesn't even show as an option in the tag menu: Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.47.34 am
The only way for me to add tags is to copy TM match, copy+paste source (so all tags are in place) then systematically paste each part of the sentence in place. The other option was to select then copy+paste each tag but for some reason you can't select the final > if it's at the end of a segment AND you can't just type tags in. Genius!!!

If anyone from Lionbridge is reading this: Get your act together please! You're one of the biggest super-agencies in the world. Linguists have been complaining about this crappy system for years. It was outdated in 2015 and it hasn't been updated since. 1 star.

Nb. I only work with you because you pay well and because LCX is super convenient.

[Edited at 2021-10-01 23:01 GMT]
Collapse

Wieland Haselbauer

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:37
English to Russian
My workaround Oct 2, 2021

When I worked for them, I just used a second monitor. I downloaded an xlz file, imported it into Trados and translated using TWS for concordance only which was in the second monitor.
However, Russia is a very big country with too many translators in my language pair, and LB pays half rate in comparison with other US and European agencies. And even with that low rate I can't catch a job because it gets taken by others before I receive a notification by email. Even if I respond a millisecond
... See more
When I worked for them, I just used a second monitor. I downloaded an xlz file, imported it into Trados and translated using TWS for concordance only which was in the second monitor.
However, Russia is a very big country with too many translators in my language pair, and LB pays half rate in comparison with other US and European agencies. And even with that low rate I can't catch a job because it gets taken by others before I receive a notification by email. Even if I respond a millisecond after the notification I am always late. These two things along with their TWS and non-functional keyboard shortcuts made me give up hunting their jobs.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Grigori Gazarian
Renée van Bijsterveld

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stepan Oct 2, 2021

Thanks. This is what I've done. The tag bug is still very annoying, as it slows the entire process.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:37
English to Hungarian
wrong version? Oct 2, 2021

It must be sth wrong with your version:
Untitled.png

[Módosítva: 2021-10-02 11:59 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
No use Oct 2, 2021

Uninstalled, reinstalled, checked updates - all up to date.

Running this version on Parallels for Mac: Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 10.32.22 pm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a functional alternative to Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor!?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »