Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:32
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 8, 2022

I despise almost everything about Trados, but this time I've got to give it to them.

In Options > Editor > AutoCorrect you can use "Import Settings" to load your personal autocorrect table, while memoQ and Wordfast Pro don't offer this option (you need to input all the entries one by one).

Does anyone know of a CAT tool that has this batch import option? Anyone ever tried with AutoHotkey or something?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm, I think you can just import and export them in memoQ (the data is stored in .mqres text files). Mar 8, 2022

I don't use them, but I just had a quick look. The data is stored in a .mqres text file. Contents looks like this:

AutoCorrect_memoQ

AutoCorrect_memoQ-dialogue

I don't use it though because I much prefer having a system-wide solution. I am currently (very happily) using an updated version of the old AutoHotkey "AutoCorrect" script, available from: https://www.computoredge.com/AutoHotkey/Free_AutoHotkey_Scripts_and_Apps_for_Learning_and_Generating_Ideas.html#autocorrect

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:32
English to Russian
You can import and export your list in memoQ Mar 8, 2022

When in Editor, press Ctrl+Shift+O, click New list, add two or three items simply to be able to find them visually in the file. Right-click your list and select Export.
Open the all#Your_List_Name.mqres with Notepad++. You can continue the list by adding pairs of values separated with tab. Once done, import it as new (right click your list and select Import New). Change its name by adding 1 for example. When both lists are there, delete the older one.
2022-03-09_022935

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Also, you can use an AHK script Mar 8, 2022

but I don't know how to paste it intact.
You can find it here.
The upper script is designed for the installer version of AHK. The lower one is designed for the portable version of AHK.
When you add words with Win+H, they are listed below the 'return' string in the following format:
::input_word::output_word
::next_input_word::next_output_word
::etc::etcetera

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!! Mar 9, 2022

Now I feel stupid, it was there all the time, all I had to do was right-click.

Thanks again both Michael and Stepan, you saved my day once more.

And once more, memoQ kicks Trados' rear end, as its process is simpler and you can manage several separate lists simultaneously and independently.

[Edited at 2022-03-09 09:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso's approach Mar 9, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

In Options > Editor > AutoCorrect you can use "Import Settings" to load your personal autocorrect table, while memoQ and Wordfast Pro don't offer this option (you need to input all the entries one by one).

Does anyone know of a CAT tool that has this batch import option? Anyone ever tried with AutoHotkey or something?

In CafeTran Espresso it's simple like always:

Text shortcuts

Drop-down menu: Blank by default

You can create text shortcuts to expand any given text with a defined character combination. To create a text shortcuts file that you can use across different sessions or projects, you need to first add at least one Text shortcut in Resources > Text shortcuts > Add selection to text shortcuts, then choose Resources > Text shortcuts > List text shortcuts and click the Save button. If you don’t save the shortcuts, they will be working for the current session only. Once saved, the shortcuts file will be available in this drop-down menu.

Saved Text shortcuts files are saved as txt files in cafetran/resources/shortcuts folder (This is on Windows and GNU/Linux. On a Mac, go to Applications and show the CafeTran.app package contents by right-clicking. The folder can be found in /Contents/Java/resources/shortcuts). Multiple shortcuts files can be saved in this folder and selected from the drop-down menu.

Text shortcuts files use the following format (each line is a new shortcut): shortcut=expanded_text

To expand a defined shortcut, you simply type the shortcut and press the Space key.

Source: https://tinyurl.com/yc4vjmrp

Note that the 'AutoCorrect' trigger and expansion are separated by an equal sign.

You can have as many AutoCorrect lists as you want. I'm not sure whether they are automatically selected via the Project Templates. If not, you'll have to do this manually.

[Edited at 2022-03-10 06:59 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Wow! What a nice trick by Proz! Mar 9, 2022

When I published my comments, there were no comment by Michael Beijer at 2:22 in between. Now it is there. Nice

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Mar 9, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

When I published my comments, there were no comment by Michael Beijer at 2:22 in between. Now it is there. Nice

Yup, when I saw your first post yesterday, it was the first and only reply. Michael's reply was published later, although apparently made earlier.

Anyway, you have a witness here: you BOTH qualify as first responders.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
"cause youre Russian" approach Mar 9, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:
Anyway, you have a witness here: you BOTH qualify as first responders.
I even agree that Michael be much "firster". However, proz also has locked the New "Exchange for Ukrainians affected by the Russian conflict" forum thread for me. Is it only me?
Locked post
It smells nasty.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Mar 9, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
However, ProZ.com also has locked the New "Exchange for Ukrainians affected by the Russian conflict" forum thread for me. Is it only me?

No. It's here where the difference between "thread" and "forum" becomes relevant.
https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/forums_about_prozcom-proz.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/exchange_for_ukrainians_affected_by_the_russian_conflict-2186.html

Capture-1

[Edited at 2022-03-09 13:09 GMT]

mk_lab

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Mechanics of IT design Mar 9, 2022

When someone breaks the rules repeatedly, his/her posts might become subjected to vetting, approval by a moderator or staff member. The publishing time stamp is the one when the poster, the author of the comment pressed Post reply.

There seems to be no indication of when a post was vetted.

As to the donation thread, there must be some geo-blocking at work.

If possible, I suggest a money donation available to all ProZians should be launched as well.
... See more
When someone breaks the rules repeatedly, his/her posts might become subjected to vetting, approval by a moderator or staff member. The publishing time stamp is the one when the poster, the author of the comment pressed Post reply.

There seems to be no indication of when a post was vetted.

As to the donation thread, there must be some geo-blocking at work.

If possible, I suggest a money donation available to all ProZians should be launched as well.

We should probably also have in mind that our Russian colleagues might find themselves in financial trouble as well. Will there be a way to help them, if needed?
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
No geo-blocking Mar 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

No. It's here where the difference between "thread" and "forum" becomes relevant.
https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/forums_about_prozcom-proz.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/exchange_for_ukrainians_affected_by_the_russian_conflict-2186.html

Capture-1

[Edited at 2022-03-09 13:09 GMT]

You are smarter, Samuel. Thanks for figuring it out.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok, my bad Mar 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Ah! Ok probably I misunderstood something. So, it is just sort of announcement about a new forum, right? That is why it is locked for everyone. Ok, I admit I got too suspicious this time. I am sorry.

@Daniel Frisano
Thank you

[Edited at 2022-03-09 15:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing autocorrect tables in CAT tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »