AlignFactory Desktop
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jan 7, 2023

Many years ago, I bought a license for AlignFactory Light and installed it in a Windows 7 or 8 VM. As it turned out, I couldn't restore this VM from the external disk. So I visited the Terminotix website and noticed that AlignFactory Light has been replaced with AlignFactory Desktop.

I bought one extra year of support (122 €) and after 5 minutes I received a download link and a new activation key. I was very pleased with this good support.

The alignment results are ma
... See more
Many years ago, I bought a license for AlignFactory Light and installed it in a Windows 7 or 8 VM. As it turned out, I couldn't restore this VM from the external disk. So I visited the Terminotix website and noticed that AlignFactory Light has been replaced with AlignFactory Desktop.

I bought one extra year of support (122 €) and after 5 minutes I received a download link and a new activation key. I was very pleased with this good support.

The alignment results are magnificent. Very happy with this software.

A great feature is that AlignFactory can process folders and subfolders with document pairs. If you have assigned smart file names (containing the ISO language codes), AlignFactory will perfectly match the documents.

BTW: I installed the software under Windows 11.

See also.

[Edited at 2023-01-07 06:20 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:45
English to Russian
Agree Jan 8, 2023

I like this tool too. I even had a full license from my employer. However I never received serious alignment tasks from clients (unfortunately) to use AlignFactory, and for my own purposes I use ABBYY Aligner. Even though AlignFactory is a very good tool indeed

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Amazing Jan 8, 2023

I noticed that AlignFactory doesn't have an abbreviation candidate lister, like CafeTran Espresso and Transit do.

I've sent them my first request for feature.

Stepan Konev

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
But will they respond? Jan 8, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
I've sent them my first request for feature.

I bought an AlignFactory Light license in 2016 in a flush of youthful (?) enthusiasm. Although it was streets ahead of the aligner in Trados the AlignFactory UI was still quirky (why doesn't it remember font settings?!) and the results still needed considerable tweaking for my pair.

Anyway, I have not needed to do any significant aligning for clients (same situation as Stepan, in that sense) and the process was not efficient enough to encourage me to create my own TMs from scratch using this approach. I haven't used it for years and I don't think I even have it installed currently. Maybe I should give it another try.

Also, I found the company - Terminotix, which I think is very small - unresponsive to any but the most basic of requests. Development seemed to be proceeding so slowly as to be imperceptible.

One upgrade in eight years isn't much given the initial high price one is required to pay, and from the screenshots nothing much appears to have changed.

Regards,
Dan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:45
English to Russian
French UI Jan 8, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
the AlignFactory UI was still quirky (why doesn't it remember font settings?!)
In my case it was French UI I couldn't switch to English. Their support replied something like "that's weird indeed".

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
How does it compare? Jan 8, 2023

I wonder how it compares to Stingray, which is Open Source now and can be built for free (or its binaries and additionak support purchased from the developer), or Basic Aligner.

[Edited at 2023-01-08 09:43 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Test Jan 8, 2023

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I wonder how it compares to Stingray, which is Open Source now and can be built for free (or its binaries and additionak support purchased from the developer), or Basic Aligner.

You can send me some test documents. Preferably EN - FR.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Respons Jan 9, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

Also, I found the company - Terminotix, which I think is very small - unresponsive to any but the most basic of requests. Development seemed to be proceeding so slowly as to be imperceptible.

Hello,

I'll forward your request to the development.

Best regards,

Dan Lucas

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Scaling issue Jan 9, 2023

I reported a font scaling issue with Win 11 and got a swift reply. Happy with that, but I conclude that AF hasn't been optimized for Win 11 (yet).

I've asked whether AF is still under active dev.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
TotalCommander Jan 11, 2023

A great feature is that AlignFactory can process folders and subfolders with document pairs. If you have assigned smart file names (containing the ISO language codes), AlignFactory will perfectly match the documents.

For this I use the multi file rename feature of TotalCommander or Crax Commander:

de01.docx
de02.doc
nl01.docx
nl02.doc
Etc.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Example Jan 11, 2023

I found this multilingual PDF.

I split it in a DE and NL part and aligned it automatically with AlignFactory Desktop:

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 23.25.27

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:45
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Would it help me align magazine content? Jan 13, 2023

I own a bunch of well written hiking/mountaineering magazines in de, fr and it versions (PDF files). Building a TM with all this available material is something I have been considering for a long time since it would help me greatly finding inspiration when doing transcreation for that type of content. My current method is to search through the PDFs using Agent Ransack, for example search for "Bergtour" in the German magazines and see how some of the sentences have been translated in the French v... See more
I own a bunch of well written hiking/mountaineering magazines in de, fr and it versions (PDF files). Building a TM with all this available material is something I have been considering for a long time since it would help me greatly finding inspiration when doing transcreation for that type of content. My current method is to search through the PDFs using Agent Ransack, for example search for "Bergtour" in the German magazines and see how some of the sentences have been translated in the French version – not very effective.

Would AlignFactory help me build such a TM? What is the opinion of those actually using it? The licence is not cheap but that would be a one-time use, so a one year subscription is all I need.

I have little experience with alignment. I did make a short test using LF_Aligner, and it worked quite well. However, the PDFs had to be converted into DOC files, and this introduced some little errors and made the process quite time-consuming.

Philippe
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Offer Jan 13, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:

I own a bunch of well written hiking/mountaineering magazines in de, fr and it versions (PDF files).

Same offer to you: just send me a couple of matching documents. Since the process is automated, it will only cost me 5 minutes to create a TMX.

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:45
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Thanks for the offer Jan 13, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Philippe Noth wrote:

I own a bunch of well written hiking/mountaineering magazines in de, fr and it versions (PDF files).

Same offer to you: just send me a couple of matching documents. Since the process is automated, it will only cost me 5 minutes to create a TMX.

Thanks Hans, I will send a magazine issue over the week-end.

I also read that Terminotix is offering a 10 days trial. So unless you tell me that it is not fit for that particular task, I may invest some time to do a deeper test myself.

Another possibility is that I hire you for that one-time task 😊. You can tell me whether that is an option once you have seen the documents.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Decent result Jan 19, 2023

This morning, I used AlignFactory Desktop to create a TMX file from 542 PDF files. The process was quick and the result was satisfying.

Philippe Noth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AlignFactory Desktop

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »