Chinese (Mandarin) textbooks for beginners
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 09:41
German to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2002

Ni hao

(I hope I got that right )

I am looking for high-standard, professional textbooks on Chinese for beginners (or Mandarin, I should say).

I am not interested in those phrase books that one sees in bookstores, but in reliable textbooks (preferably with audio tapes or CDs for the proper pronunciation and pitch). In addition, they should use the proper characters from the start (rather
... See more
Ni hao

I am looking for high-standard, professional textbooks on Chinese for beginners (or Mandarin, I should say).

I am not interested in those phrase books that one sees in bookstores, but in reliable textbooks (preferably with audio tapes or CDs for the proper pronunciation and pitch). In addition, they should use the proper characters from the start (rather than presenting the lessons in phonetic transcription).

I have a fairly solid background in Japanese, so getting up to speed on these characters won\'t be too difficult anymore.

So, if you know of any good books, please post them here (with the ISBN number, if possible). I am sure that this would also be of interest to many others.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-28 02:57 ]
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 15:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Assimil.com Mar 28, 2002

Surf to www.assimil.com.

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-28 02:55, AbacusTrans wrote:

Ni hao

I am not interested in those phrase books that one sees in bookstores, but in reliable textbooks (preferably with audio tapes or CDs fo... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-28 02:55, AbacusTrans wrote:

Ni hao

I am not interested in those phrase books that one sees in bookstores, but in reliable textbooks (preferably with audio tapes or CDs for the proper pronunciation and pitch). In addition, they should use the proper characters from the start (rather than presenting the lessons in phonetic transcription).

I have a fairly solid background in Japanese, so getting up to speed on these characters won\'t be too difficult anymore.

So, if you know of any good books, please post them here (with the ISBN number, if possible). I am sure that this would also be of interest to many others.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-28 02:57 ]

Here is a link to China Books and Periodicals, Inc. They have many Chinese text books for beginners and intermediate learners of Chinese.

http://www.chinabooks.com/Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
website Mar 28, 2002

www.anotherlanguage.com/chinese.htm

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 28, 2002

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions so far.

But does anyone have actual personal experience with any good textbooks? Any learners of Mandarin out there?

Jeff, the first choice shown on your website is a book from the \"Teach Yourself\" series - a wonderful series for Western languages, but as far as I know, they don\'t use Chinese characters, but merely transcriptions (but their tapes are great!).

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
German to English
+ ...
Integrated Chinese by Yao and Liu Apr 10, 2002

Hi Werner,

I took a beginning Chinese (Mandarin) class, last fall and we used \"Integrated Chinese: Level 1 Part 1, Simplified Character Edition,\" ISBN 0-88727-263-0, by Yao and Liu, published by Cheng & Tsui.

It has dialogues written out both phonetically and in characters. I liked it pretty well as language textbooks go, at least better than the one I bought on my own where the tape ended up having even the explanations in Chinese (I am a total beginner). This
... See more
Hi Werner,

I took a beginning Chinese (Mandarin) class, last fall and we used \"Integrated Chinese: Level 1 Part 1, Simplified Character Edition,\" ISBN 0-88727-263-0, by Yao and Liu, published by Cheng & Tsui.

It has dialogues written out both phonetically and in characters. I liked it pretty well as language textbooks go, at least better than the one I bought on my own where the tape ended up having even the explanations in Chinese (I am a total beginner). This one goes through the typical topics such as family, greetings, transportation, appointments, etc. The book also comes with a character workbook, which I did not use, and you can get tapes.

You might also want to check out the following URL (which has the audio files for the dialogues from this book, incidentally):

http://www.csulb.edu/~txie/online.htm

Let me know if you find anything else useful. I would like to take up Chinese again this spring...when I get that big project off my desk...

Cheers,

Daina
Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Daina Apr 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-10 20:26, Daina wrote:

Hi Werner,

It has dialogues written out both phonetically and in characters. I liked it pretty well as language textbooks go, at least better than the one I bough... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-10 20:26, Daina wrote:

Hi Werner,

It has dialogues written out both phonetically and in characters. I liked it pretty well as language textbooks go, at least better than the one I bought on my own where the tape ended up having even the explanations in Chinese (I am a total beginner). This one goes through the typical topics such as family, greetings, transportation, appointments, etc. The book also comes with a character workbook, which I did not use, and you can get tapes.

You might also want to check out the following URL (which has the audio files for the dialogues from this book, incidentally):

http://www.csulb.edu/~txie/online.htm

Let me know if you find anything else useful. I would like to take up Chinese again this spring...when I get that big project off my desk...

Cheers,

Daina

I\'ll look into that. I have also been thinking about the distance-learning courses offered by the Univ. of Toronto: http://learn.utoronto.ca.

You can take courses (fully distance-learning-based), leading up to a certificate in international languages and/or professional translation. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese (Mandarin) textbooks for beginners

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »