Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >
Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile
Thread poster: RoxanaTrad (X)
Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:44
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
. Jul 28, 2009

updating

[Edited at 2009-07-28 13:14 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:44
Member (2004)
English to Italian
that's how I removed my profile... Jul 28, 2009

did a search with my surname, clicked on it (to get my username). Then I went to the "sign-in" page (click on link top right) and clicked on Forgot Password? In the "Get new Password" window, I inserted my username and real e-mail address. After 5 minutes I received an e-mail with a link, which took me to the change password page. Inserted my username and new password. New password was confirmed. I then went to the sign-in page again. Signed-in and got to my profile. I clicked on "deactivate acc... See more
did a search with my surname, clicked on it (to get my username). Then I went to the "sign-in" page (click on link top right) and clicked on Forgot Password? In the "Get new Password" window, I inserted my username and real e-mail address. After 5 minutes I received an e-mail with a link, which took me to the change password page. Inserted my username and new password. New password was confirmed. I then went to the sign-in page again. Signed-in and got to my profile. I clicked on "deactivate account".

I'm not listed anymore, but this does not necessarily mean that my profile has been deleted...

HTH,

G
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Press Release Jul 28, 2009

What about contacting the gentleman from the New York Times who wrote an article about translators and LinkedIn? If this site stole data from ProZ, then chances are they also stole data from other professionals and sites as well.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
External image Jul 28, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

What about contacting the gentleman from the New York Times who wrote an article about translators and LinkedIn? If this site stole data from ProZ, then chances are they also stole data from other professionals and sites as well.

Hi Jeff,

Andy Newman at the NYT initially wrote about Google trying to get 'freebies' out of artists.

He subsequently wrote about LinkedIn trying to get 'freebies' in the form of crowdsourced translations from translators that had registered with LI. In other words, from among the serried ranks of the LI listings.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/technology/start-ups/29linkedin.html

In other words, nailing two U.S. organizations who were getting cheeky.

In this case, it seems that a U.S. organization has been tampered with from outside the U.S. Data theft goes on, but is that going to really interest the readers of the NYT Start-Ups page? I would suggest that they might possible be more interested in new methods of data/identity theft, rather than the perpetrators thereof.
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/i/identity_fraud/index.html

I would also suggest that any hint of data theft published might not necessarily have a positive spin-off in terms of the image of Proz and its members. Do we need that?

I'd say internal information? Yes!
External? No...

Henry?

Cheers
Chris

Stephanie Wloch
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Giovanni's tip Jul 28, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
did a search with my surname, clicked on it (to get my username). Then I went to the "sign-in" page (click on link top right) and clicked on Forgot Password? In the "Get new Password" window, I inserted my username and real e-mail address. After 5 minutes I received an e-mail with a link, which took me to the change password page.
I got this mail too, but it ended up in my spambox. Nevertheless I followed the link.

Inserted my username and new password. New password was confirmed.
When I try to enter a new password they write in their own spelling:
Inncorect username or update-link. Please try again.

What went wrong?

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Did you check the spelling of your password? Jul 28, 2009

When I try to enter a new password they write in their own spelling:
Inncorect username or update-link. Please try again.

What went wrong?

Sorry folks. Just thought this thread could use some silliness. Please forgive me!

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
we do need that update promised by Henry Jul 29, 2009

Henry's reports of a week ago were helpful and enlightening but all seems to have gone quiet since then. My details (including private ones) are still displayed on that website and I have not been successful in trying to remove them. We don't know what steps Proz is taking because we are not being given any information.

Meanwhile, thus thread is slipping steadily down the hierarchy of the Forum postings - it's now well down on page two and if we're not careful it will soon slip off
... See more
Henry's reports of a week ago were helpful and enlightening but all seems to have gone quiet since then. My details (including private ones) are still displayed on that website and I have not been successful in trying to remove them. We don't know what steps Proz is taking because we are not being given any information.

Meanwhile, thus thread is slipping steadily down the hierarchy of the Forum postings - it's now well down on page two and if we're not careful it will soon slip off the Forum listings altogether. Surely Proz would not want us to think that was intentional? It really ought to be pinned on the top of the first page of Forum postings until this issue is finally resolved.
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Skype gone wild? Jul 29, 2009

After months of peace and quiet I have received 5 contact requests in the last two weeks from "sexcamsabrina" "hottiejulie" and similar services. Has anyone else experienced a similar surge in unsolicited contact requests since proz was raided?
(Yes, I have checked my privacy settings)

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Not Skype - ProZ mail spam Jul 30, 2009

Damian Harrison, M.A. wrote:

Has Skype gone wild?

Not in my neck of the woods. But I have been getting more spam through ProZ mail. The "I should like to know you better" variety. I am told I look good on my photo (?!?) and that woman sure sounds like she is a lesbian...

What's up with that?

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
support Lexical's point Jul 30, 2009

I would like to do my part to make sure this thread remains alive and kicking!

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Waiting for good news... Jul 30, 2009

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Waiting for ANY news Jul 30, 2009

It's now a week since we were promised more information. Why are we still waiting? I appreciate that final resolution of this issue may take more time, but why have we not received any progress reports?

Is there something we shouldn't know about?

In this case no news sounds like bad news.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Helloooooo?!? Jul 31, 2009

Enough time has passed for me to forget Henry's apologies--all that is left now is a serious questioning of the integrity of those who manage this site.

Why is it so hard to address the legitimate preoccupations of thousands of people whose identities have been stolen?

Stephanie Wloch
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Not a good sign Jul 31, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:
Why is it so hard to address the legitimate preoccupations of thousands of people whose identities have been stolen?

This is a weird behaviour. At least a "we are working on this, we contacted outsourcingroom.com still no answer" etc.
This is about data privacy.
By the way Proz declares just this:
" Security of the information
ProZ.com has attempted to create a database that is secure from theft. In order to collect the personal information listed above, it would be necessary for a thief to bypass password protections, etc., that have been put in place to protect user information."
Is this enough? Can't we imagine a better starting point?

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Hellooooo indeed! Jul 31, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:

Enough time has passed for me to forget Henry's apologies--all that is left now is a serious questioning of the integrity of those who manage this site.

My feelings exactly. Somehow, I don't get the impression this matter is top on their to-do list...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Illegal use of data from ProZ.com profile

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »