Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Possible scam posted as job, not found in jobs list (now squashed)
Thread poster: Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 4, 2009

Hello,

I applied to a job through email recently and now I found it disappeared from the jobs' list. It concerned some 10-15 languages, so I guess this happened to a lot of people. I'd like to know what does this mean. Can someone shed a light? I could type the job's URL, but I don't know it the rules allow it.

Thanks,

Cristina

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-05 18:58 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-05 18:59
... See more
Hello,

I applied to a job through email recently and now I found it disappeared from the jobs' list. It concerned some 10-15 languages, so I guess this happened to a lot of people. I'd like to know what does this mean. Can someone shed a light? I could type the job's URL, but I don't know it the rules allow it.

Thanks,

Cristina

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-05 18:58 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-05 18:59 GMT]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Closed job Aug 4, 2009

Hi Cristina,

The outsourcer may have closed the job in the meantime (having received a sufficient number of applications), which makes the posting disappear from the list. Also, quite often, outsourcers tend not to reply to each and every applicant so that you may not be "kept in the communication loop" as regards the outcome/job award.

Best regards,
Steffen

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:02
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could you submit a support request? Aug 4, 2009

Hello Cristina,

I'm afraid I would need to know which job you are referring to to be able to help you. Could you submit a support request including the information that would allow me to locate the job posting?

Please note that including this information in this forum would be against site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 . Thanks for not including it in your
... See more
Hello Cristina,

I'm afraid I would need to know which job you are referring to to be able to help you. Could you submit a support request including the information that would allow me to locate the job posting?

Please note that including this information in this forum would be against site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 . Thanks for not including it in your previous post.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 4, 2009

Thank you Steffen: what you say makes sense, but I usually see "CLOSED" when the job is closed, and not it disappearing. My concern is that I gave my contact details to the job poster and I don't know the reason why the job disappeared (which may not be a good one). Anyway, maybe I'me just making a fuss about nothing.

Thank you Alejandro: I'll submit a support request with all the necessary information.

Cristina

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The job posting was not in line with site rules Aug 4, 2009

Hello Cristina,

Thanks for submitting the support request. I have located the job posting you mention and can confirm that it was squashed, because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/jobs_posting/1.9#1.9 . Inconsistencies were found in the contact information the job poster supplied, and the job posting was squashed.

Hope this expla
... See more
Hello Cristina,

Thanks for submitting the support request. I have located the job posting you mention and can confirm that it was squashed, because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/jobs_posting/1.9#1.9 . Inconsistencies were found in the contact information the job poster supplied, and the job posting was squashed.

Hope this explains!

Please submit a support request if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Alejandro! Aug 4, 2009

Thank you very much for your help, all is solved now

Kind regards,

Cristina

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
possible SCAM Aug 5, 2009

I also applied yesterday to a job which looked normal until the "client" contacted me with an unconsistent mail...it looked like it could be a scam.

5 minutes ago it was still in "my quotes" and the user was still in the BB, but I submitted a support ticket so I think it will be deleted soon.

More and more scams on Proz?

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it can be a scam Aug 5, 2009

To all those who recognized the job and applied to it, I advise it can be a scam, as pointed out by France-Japon. This person sent me an unconsistent email with some files to translate and a colleague sent me information which suggests the job poster is a crook.

Cristina

Lucy Leite
Lucy Leite  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A scam Aug 5, 2009

Dear Cristina,

Please check this other forum posts and see if this is your case: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/142001-potential_translation_scam.html

Proz support has added a note to the company profile. I hope it helps...

Best regards,

Lucy

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obrigada, Lucy Aug 5, 2009

But unfortunately I can only see a blank page when I click the link you provided.

But I checked the company profile I referred to and it does have a note from Proz support. So it might be the same one. Another strange thing is that this company has a Website which seems perfectly all right but the person who contacted me used an aol.com email address...

Regards,

Cristina

Noelia Ruiz Pérez
Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
I applied too Aug 5, 2009

And the person accepted the quote and told me to start (about 55 pages of a PDF doc). He told me he will pay by cashier check and I reckon the scam is here.

I just told him I need 50% in advance via Paypal. Let´s see what they say as it does seem to be a scam.

Thanks
Noelia

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I guess I know what it was Aug 5, 2009

Cristina, as we work in the same pair, a Brazilian colleague investigated further, and discovered this job was from a well-known scammer on the web. He submitted a support ticket with corroborating evidence, and the job post was unplugged pronto.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No pasaran! Aug 5, 2009

I liked this thread.

It's pretty much like a neighborhood watch.

Let's stick together, walk softy and carry a big (enough) stick.

regards

Vito

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Noelia, José Henrique and Vito Aug 5, 2009

Thank you for your input. Mind you that this person even took the trouble of paying his Proz.com membership, so his business intentions are really "solid"

"Let's stick together", quoting Vito, and, Noelia, I think we'd all be happy to know what is the next step. I also thought, since he didn't mention payment in the first email, that something would come along afterwards. I'd just like to know what would be the pitffa
... See more
Thank you for your input. Mind you that this person even took the trouble of paying his Proz.com membership, so his business intentions are really "solid"

"Let's stick together", quoting Vito, and, Noelia, I think we'd all be happy to know what is the next step. I also thought, since he didn't mention payment in the first email, that something would come along afterwards. I'd just like to know what would be the pitffall.

Regards,

Cristina
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam posted as job, not found in jobs list (now squashed)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »