Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:36
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Bad idea. No. Jan 18, 2009

I never tell I use CAT when I am not asked to. But I still use it to save time, ensure consistency etc.

It is our trick.

Besides, the percentages and rates differ depending on the language, agency, state of TM etc.

Bad idea.

[Редактировалось 2009-01-18 09:56 GMT]

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
COMPLETELY OUT OF QUESTION Jan 18, 2009

WE HAVE 'ENOUGH' REQUESTS FOR DISCOUNTS, ETC. WE DO NOT NEED TO OFFER THEM.

[Edited at 2009-01-18 10:10 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What trick? Jan 18, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

It is our trick.

Please do not take it personally, Sergei. Quite the contrary: Special thanks for this particular post because it just brought up an important issue.

We do not TRICK our customers. We do not deceive our customers when we use CAT-tools without giving rebates. They didn't buy this software for us. They didn't train us at their expense. We did.

A baker isn't "tricking" you when he is charging the same amount per loaf of bread after he invested tens of thousands in a new industrial dough mixer, right?

CAT-tools don't make a translator.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
+1, but let me suggest something different Jan 18, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
I would like to suggest a new feature in Rate Section. In this feature; If Translator uses CAT Tool, then he/she may show his/her prices (optional) to others/outsources as follows...

I take it you're referring to the Rates section of our profile pages. If I'm not mistaken, the information in that section can be used to filter profiles from searches. In that case, I have no objection to including an indication of CAT rates, but I do think we must be careful to make the section too complex.

The problem with your suggestion per se is that it assumes that there is a universal discounting scheme. The one you quote in your post, looks very much like the Trados 6.5 one. More modern CAT tools now also distinguish between contextual and non-contextual exact matches. Other CAT tools distinguish between formatted and formatless matches. It is not unlikely that we'll see more sophisticated discount schemes in future, as CAT tools develop better matching methods.

So instead of giving specific CAT discount rates in the Rates section, why not simply indicate whether the translator is willing to consider fuzzy match based discount rates or not? Translators who feel very strongly about it, can tick "NO" and translators who specifically want to make it part of their offering, can tick "YES", and the rest of us can simply neglect to include the option altogether.

After all, if a client wants discounts, he's likely to specify it himself.

Added: I feel that the objection "It will lower our income" is either irrelevant or unrealistic. Clients who want CAT discounts applied, will ask for it anyway.

[Edited at 2009-01-18 10:27 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not a trick at all (thanks, Nicole)!!!!!!!!!!! Jan 18, 2009

I never tell I use CAT when I am not asked to. But I still use it to save time, ensure consistency etc.

It is our trick.

Besides, the percentages and rates differ depending on the language, agency, state of TM etc.

Bad idea.

[Редактировалось 2009-01-18 09:56 GMT]

If I were you, I would delete "It is our trick".
Do you really think, this thread is read by translators only?
Do you really think, your clients are ignorant?
Do you really think, your clients have never heard of CAT tools?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Offtopic: the meaning of trick Jan 18, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:
It is our trick.

We do not TRICK our customers. We do not deceive our customers...

I suspect the word "trick" was ill-chosen, because it may mean different things to different people. To Nicole, it seems to mean a deception. To me, it means a secret or a knack. If I have a clever way of saving myself money without passing on the saving to the client, then it that my trick, but I'm certainly not being deceitful.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hm... Jan 18, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Added: I feel that the objection "It will lower our income" is either irrelevant or unrealistic. Clients who want CAT discounts applied, will ask for it anyway.

In many cases it does lower income, Samuel. That is realistic!

And: Indicating a priori that the translator is willing to consider fuzzy match based discount rates is like telling the client that she/he may consider a "less expensive" translator.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
@Samuel: This is your very personal choice. Jan 18, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:
It is our trick.

We do not TRICK our customers. We do not deceive our customers...

I suspect the word "trick" was ill-chosen, because it may mean different things to different people. To Nicole, it seems to mean a deception. To me, it means a secret or a knack. If I have a clever way of saving myself money without passing on the saving to the client, then it that my trick, but I'm certainly not being deceitful.

You may do so on your personal website and you may as well offer discounts depending on the weather, if it's full moon or if it's Tuesday or Wednesday.

It has no place whatsoever on a professional translators' website.

We are no copy shops and no burger places. We don't hang out price lists at our front door. "Buy 1, get one free!".

What a nonsense.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not really Jan 18, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
And: Indicating a priori that the translator is willing to consider fuzzy match based discount rates is like telling the client that she/he may consider a "less expensive" translator.

I fail to see the logic in your statement. Fuzzy match based discount rates is simply a type of payment structure, and not an indication of the amount of payment.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:36
Spanish to English
No Jan 18, 2009

I never have agreed with fuzzy match discounts. CAT take time to learn and cost the translator money. As someone else said, a lot of times, it takes longer to correct a fuzzy match that translating from scratch.

As for the use of the word "trick", I think it is being used totally appropriately. Just because it has other meanings, such as "deceitful", in this context, it obviously means "a special skill".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Feature in Rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »