Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
オランダ
Local time: 22:22
2006に入会
英語 から アフリカーンス語
+ ...
You're not a share holder Jan 23, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Someone in Proz would have to spend time developing this functionality.
That means money. As a paying member, that means MY money.

Not really. You are not an investor in ProZ.com. You are a customer who buys a service (from ProZ.com) that comes with added value (various extras to entice more customers). It aint your money.

[Edited at 2009-01-23 13:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
オランダ
2006に入会
英語 から アフリカーンス語
+ ...
A more useful index Jan 23, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
I do think, however, that it might be useful to have some sort of index to external translation blogs available here. There are many interesting ones in many languages, but the process of identifying them can be a very long and frustrating one.

True, but in my opinion a blog is only as interesting as its most recent post. There is no such thing as an intersting blog, unless the author is truly consistent in producing good stuff. No, it is blog posts themselves that are either interesting or dull. So... an index of blogs would be meaningless to me, but a regularly updated index of posts would certainly be enticing. I guess one could have one at ProZ.com -- essentially a page that itself is subscribed to RSS feeds of various translators' blogs.

But I stand by my original post -- blogging within ProZ.com is a good idea. As for the objections:

* There are too many features:
Well, no-one's forcing you to use all the features. There are many features on ProZ.com that I don't use. Not everyone uses all the features. You don't have to use or even be aware of the blogs if you prefer to do forums, or be aware of or use the forums if you're a fanatic KudoZer, etc.

* It'll cost too much money, developmentwise
Not really. There are many blog systems with free and open licences that ProZ.com could easily incorporate into the site, and adapt to their needs.

* It'll clutter up the home page.
Well, if that was a measure for when we have enough features, then perhaps we have had too many some time ago already. Besides, you can customise the home page. And there are many features of ProZ.com that appear only as a small link on the home page -- why not the blog recent posts too?

* Blogs are personal
I don't view this as an objection.

* Blog posts might damage ProZ.com's image
Well, that can be addressed. If someone has an objection against a blog post, he can flag it and a moderator can make a decision about it and squash it if necessary. Also, if it is clear that the page is a blog page, people will know that the content does not represent the company's official stance.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
カナダ
Local time: 16:22
英語 から フランス語
+ ...
Value Jan 23, 2009

If I am willing to pay for a membership on this site, it is for the following reasons:

- I get to network with other translators
- I get to provide and obtain advice to/from like-minded people
- I am keeping informed on the industry
- I have a Web presence, which helps me get noticed by potential clients and to develop my credibility as a translator
- I have access to the BlueBoard (although this feature is becoming increasingly irrelevant, as it has pretty m
... See more
If I am willing to pay for a membership on this site, it is for the following reasons:

- I get to network with other translators
- I get to provide and obtain advice to/from like-minded people
- I am keeping informed on the industry
- I have a Web presence, which helps me get noticed by potential clients and to develop my credibility as a translator
- I have access to the BlueBoard (although this feature is becoming increasingly irrelevant, as it has pretty much lost its credibility to me)

I realize others may have a different interest in this site, but I do think the list above summarizes the interests of the majority (incidentally, it also summarizes ProZ's sales pitch, more or less).

This is the value I get in exchange for the money I invest in my membership. Now, if all of this value is buried underneath a lot of crap that I don't want to scan through to find what interests me, then the value (and my willingness to pay for it) shrinks considerably.

The money spent on new features may not be my money per se, but I am willing to let go of the amount I pay so I have access to the professional features of the site. If I have to keep learning to use ProZ constantly, much as if it were Trados, then I lose interest. It is happening at the moment, you know. I am growing impatient.

I pay for a membership so I can have something I can't get elsewhere. I would not part with a penny if someone wanted to sell me something I can get at no charge through a simple Google search. I'm not paying for clutter here...
Collapse

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
ドイツ
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Simplify your love! Simplify your work! <b>Simplify ProZ.com!</b> Jan 23, 2009

I fully agree will all colleages that a standard blogging feature on ProZ.com is beyond the scope of the site. Why not create and maintain a blog on your personal website and link from your ProZ profile to your personal blog?

Best,
Aniello

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a Blog (May be a Diary) here!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »