Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 5, 2009

G'day everyone

As I was updating my profile with my latest details, I tried to upload my résumé in OpenDocument Text format, but I got an error message saying that ProZ.com only allows résumés in txt, doc, docx, rtf and pdf. How silly, I believe. Surely OpenOffice.org's Writer files (ODT) should also be allowed?

Your comments?

Samuel

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not PDF? Feb 5, 2009

Hi Samuel,

why don't you upload a PDF profile (write-protected!) instead of a ODT CV?

Best,
Aniello

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By that reasoning, why DOC and DOCX? Feb 5, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
Why don't you upload a PDF profile (write-protected!) instead of a ODT CV?

By that reasoning, why allow résumés in DOC and DOCX at all?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 09:25
SITE STAFF
Good idea Feb 5, 2009

Thanks Samuel for the suggestion. I will ask that ODT be added to the list of accepted files for CVs.

Best regards,

Jared

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:25
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
There is no such an animal as "protected PDF" Feb 5, 2009

Just Google "unprotect PDF" - 123,000 hits. And I can testify that this kind of soft really works - we too often receive for translation PDFs for which only viewing on screen is allowed and the client has not the slightest idea about the password or who protected that file...

Uldis

why don't you upload a PDF profile (write-protected!)

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-02-05 17:18 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
prevent from editing Feb 5, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Just Google "unprotect PDF" - 123,000 hits. And I can testify that this kind of soft really works - we too often receive for translation PDFs for which only viewing on screen is allowed and the client has not the slightest idea about the password or who protected that file...

Strictly speaking, you are right. I was thinking about the "read-only" feature.
I know that, you can't really "write protect" a document without going into Windows' security features (the Read Only attribute is no real protection), but you can prevent someone from editing it. That's what I meant. (It can still be deleted or overwritten, though.)

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No Feb 5, 2009

any unprotected PDF can also be edited. But yes, you need Full Acrobat or like program for that.

Uldis

you can't really "write protect" a document without going into Windows' security features (the Read Only attribute is no real protection), but you can prevent someone from editing it. That's what I meant. (It can still be deleted or overwritten, though.)

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:25
German to English
+ ...
Protecting the data Feb 5, 2009

If Samuel wants to upload his info as ODT, I doubt that protection against editing is high on his list of priorities. However, he might want to consider PDF anyway to increase the chance that someone may view the information as he would like it presented. There are probably many who wouldn't know what to do with a ODT document if they were bitten by it.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Convert your ODT to PDF? Feb 5, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

As I was updating my profile with my latest details, I tried to upload my résumé in OpenDocument Text format, but I got an error message saying that ProZ.com only allows résumés in txt, doc, docx, rtf and pdf. How silly, I believe. Surely OpenOffice.org's Writer files (ODT) should also be allowed?

Your comments?

Samuel

Hi Samuel,
is there any reason you prefer not to convert/export your ODT into a PDF by using the specific function offered by OO?

Laurent K.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It sends a message Feb 5, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:
Is there any reason you prefer not to convert/export your ODT into a PDF by using the specific function offered by OO?

Making a certain version of one's résumé available (or not doing it) sends a certain message.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I second Samuel’s suggestion Feb 5, 2009

ODF is an international standard, inter alia.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Big deal... Feb 5, 2009

esperantisto wrote:

ODF is an international standard, inter alia.

I would hate to see somebody meddle with the information in the file (standard file format or not, this applies to DOC and DOCX as well of course), So my choice in any case is a PDF file with my stamp on it. Which is just one single step for a ODT.

Regards

Vito
PS: Samuel Murray, Netherlands (!?) : Multatuli coming home for holidays?

[Edited at 2009-02-05 20:50 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Spot on! Feb 5, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

I would hate to see somebody meddle with the information in the file (standard file format or not, this applies to DOC and DOCX as well of course), So my choice in any case is a PDF file with my stamp on it. Which is just one single step for a ODT.

Exactly. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is the best choice.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If anyone meddles with my résumé Feb 5, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:
I would hate to see somebody meddle with the information in the file. So my choice in any case is a PDF file with my stamp on it.

Okay, what am I missing? My résumé contains information about me and the services I offer. It serves as an introduction or a convenient summary. If anyone should download it and change it, they do so to their own detriment, no? So what if someone can change the information in it -- it won't change who I am and what I do.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm from ZA but am in the process of emigrating.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
replying Feb 5, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Okay, what am I missing?

The fact the file is authorized by its author and it stays authorized (the difference between falsified and genuine banknotes is a good example for the difference). From mz personal point of view, its the assuring feeling, the contents will stay the same, whatever hands the file wiill go through.

It was sort of a "Hey Samuel, you moving?!" exclamation. I appologize, and welcome you to Good ol' Europe.

[Edited at 2009-02-05 21:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Allow CV in ODT format, please

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »