De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Polen
Local time: 13:22
Engels naar Pools
+ ...
Jul 4, 2013

As per title. There are some translators who work in both directions, and it might make some sense to show their Kudoz points in the opposing pair, too, in the directory. You need to have a particularly solid command of your source language to use it also as your target in other translations, while using your now-target as source on different occasions shows that you're exposed to texts that are actually written in that language. I think this synergy might warrant mentioning the opposing pair wi... See more
As per title. There are some translators who work in both directions, and it might make some sense to show their Kudoz points in the opposing pair, too, in the directory. You need to have a particularly solid command of your source language to use it also as your target in other translations, while using your now-target as source on different occasions shows that you're exposed to texts that are actually written in that language. I think this synergy might warrant mentioning the opposing pair with its Kudoz points.Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 04:22
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi Łukasz - this option is available Jul 4, 2013

If you activate "Show KudoZ activity", the KudoZ points are displayed in their respective language pairs.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Polen
Engels naar Pools
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Awch Jul 4, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

If you activate "Show KudoZ activity", the KudoZ points are displayed in their respective language pairs.

Wait, Nicole, I mean the directory search screen. You pick the source language, the target language, hit the button and you see a full screen of dudes sorted by the number of Kudoz PRO points they have in the pair you are searching. But it only shows that exact pair, e.g. Suahili to Ancient Greek. Supposing that the Suahili to Ancient Greek translator also translates from Ancient Greek to Suahili, it would kinda make sense to include information as to how many Kudoz points he has earned in the opposing direction. Nope?

(I know that you can see everything once you take the trip to his full profile.)

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:52
Lid 2006
Engels naar Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
That is a good idea Jul 5, 2013

I think this is an excellent idea that should be implemented by the site. To really translate well, you need to know both your source and target languages well, and translators who have such ambidexterity are a class apart.

Currently, the site gives too much importance to target language competency and less to source language competency. For demanding jobs, competency in both source and target is an absolute must, and it will help outsourcers if kudoz performance in both directions
... See more
I think this is an excellent idea that should be implemented by the site. To really translate well, you need to know both your source and target languages well, and translators who have such ambidexterity are a class apart.

Currently, the site gives too much importance to target language competency and less to source language competency. For demanding jobs, competency in both source and target is an absolute must, and it will help outsourcers if kudoz performance in both directions are available for the translators they are reviewing.

This feature should be automatically available, that is, whenever kudoz performance of a translator in a particular pair is displayed, the performance in the reverse pair should also be automatically displayed. Otherwise translators with poor kudoz performance in the reverse pair will choose to hide that.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:
I know that you can see everything once you take the trip to his full profile.

The kudoz performance is displayed in the profile only if you choose to display it. If the kudoz performance of a translator is nothing to write home about, he can very well choose not to display it.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:22
Lid 2006
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Agree Jul 5, 2013

I support Łukasz' idea....

....and my post wouldn't exist if we can use a Facebook-like "Like" button

[Modifié le 2013-07-05 04:03 GMT]

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denemarken
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
Like Jul 5, 2013

I'm mentally hitting the 'like' button, too.

Anything that will take away from the mother-tongue-translation-only bias has my wholehearted support.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Show Kudoz points in the opposing pair too

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »