Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 02:54
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Feb 23, 2008

Right now, forum discussions are sorted according to the creation date of each new discussion. I think we can improve this feature.

It would be far better if posts are sorted according to their last entry. Don't you think so?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
I dunno Feb 23, 2008

With what you suggest they would constantly be changing places. I'd say entry date if fine.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 10:54
inglés al francés
Offer choice Feb 23, 2008

Technically, it's certainly not difficult to offer the two options in the user interface.
This way, each user can choose what he feels more comfortable with.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Polonia
Miembro 2004
inglés al polaco
+ ...
Moving this topic... Feb 23, 2008

to the ProZ.com Suggestions forum.

Magda

Yaotl Altan
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Right Feb 23, 2008

bohy wrote:

Technically, it's certainly not difficult to offer the two options in the user interface.
This way, each user can choose what he feels more comfortable with.

Exactly. Some users, like Henry, prefer the current sort. I prefer to read the newest posts, irrespective of the thread creation date.

Have a nice weekend!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Francia
inglés al francés
totally agree Feb 23, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I prefer to read the newest posts, irrespective of the thread creation date.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 09:54
inglés al árabe
+ ...
I'm confused... Feb 23, 2008

You're talking about how forum discussions are sorted in the forums list, aren't you? If so, aren't they already sorted the way you're suggesting? If, for example, somebody writes a reply to a discussion that was started in 2005, this thread moves up to the top of the list of discussions in the forum list.
Or am I misunderstanding something?

Yaotl Altan
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Sorts Feb 23, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

You're talking about how forum discussions are sorted in the forums list, aren't you?
If so, aren't they already sorted the way you're suggesting? If, for example, somebody writes a reply to a discussion that was started in 2005, this thread moves up to the top of the list of discussions in the forum list.

No, they are OK.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, just a little. I'm talknig about the implementation in the frontpage of this forum discussions procedure. As bohy said, it can be implemented with a small button, for instance, the one used to toggle the Off-topic issues.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
francés al inglés
Yes Feb 25, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:

It would be far better if posts are sorted according to their last entry. Don't you think so?

Yes, I do, and I have suggested it myself before now

I can think of about half a dozen other forums in which I participate to a greater or lesser degree, and without exception, they are all sorted by date of last entry, not date started.

Although it has disadvantages (e.g. it encourages "bumping"), I do think the benefits to the user community outweigh the drawbacks.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 05:54
inglés al portugués
+ ...
In Memoriam
It definitely has my support Feb 25, 2008

A a matter of fact, I think I suggested it too on another thread. This would not have happened if threads appeared sorted by last message, not thread start date.

As there is a forum search tool, it's best to use it always, and if a subject has already been dealt with, say, a couple of years after Stone Age, it's best to revive it, instead of starting a new thread, possibly repeating things that had already been said.

Bottom line would be less threads and higher quality
... See more
A a matter of fact, I think I suggested it too on another thread. This would not have happened if threads appeared sorted by last message, not thread start date.

As there is a forum search tool, it's best to use it always, and if a subject has already been dealt with, say, a couple of years after Stone Age, it's best to revive it, instead of starting a new thread, possibly repeating things that had already been said.

Bottom line would be less threads and higher quality. As it is now, piggybacking on an old thread on the very same subject will send the message dozens of screens behind. It will only be found by searching, no matter how current or recurrent the issue may be.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:54
PERSONAL DEL SITIO
Further customizing of the forum list Feb 25, 2008

Hello all,

Great idea. I am asking one of our developers to provide the option to customize the homepage list of forum posts based on latest post, and I'll be back as soon as I have news. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
Once we are at it.... Feb 26, 2008

I am frequently missing days to visit the forum, and like to check the entries on the "most recent posts" page from the time I left off. I roll up on the page to open some of the posts I am interested in. By pulling down the question I intended to read to the bottom of the screen before opening it, I could return to the list anchored in the same position after reading the opened post, and I could find the next questions easily.

Recently this simple method of continuig to look throu
... See more
I am frequently missing days to visit the forum, and like to check the entries on the "most recent posts" page from the time I left off. I roll up on the page to open some of the posts I am interested in. By pulling down the question I intended to read to the bottom of the screen before opening it, I could return to the list anchored in the same position after reading the opened post, and I could find the next questions easily.

Recently this simple method of continuig to look through the list - with occasional exceptions - doesn't work. After closing the post, I get the top of the page, showing the latest few posts, and I am forever scrolling down, trying to find where I was, or trying to relate the bar to something on my screen to save a bit of time on this tiresome exercise.

The same thing happened to the KudoZ questions list, but the questions are easier to deal with, as they are not so numerous in the languages I am interested in, so usually I can see enough of them at once on the screen.

Reducing the medium size letters of my setting would help, because I would see more items at once, but I am used to this setting and I don't want to tire my eyes out on small print.

I don't know why the change, probably unintentional, but can it be fixed?

Apart from my own woes, I think the last entry order should be definitely optional. Not only it would mean constant change in the order the questions appear, but it would also make sorting out the seen but personally not relevant type of questions a pain, if they would keep coming back.

When I am interested in a topic, I can track it, and it works very well. If I am not interested, I don't particularly want to see it again, and I certainly don't want it to push newer subjects further down, and it would make it much more difficult trying to find them amongst those may be of interest to a handful of people fervently arguing about their pet subject.

In fact, I am surprised, that the tracking method is not deemed to be sufficient for that purpose.

[Edited at 2008-02-26 22:41]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
For instance Feb 27, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Exactly, just like the typical "PDF to Word conversion" thread, an issue which originates the creation of news threads everytime one of us needs to convert a PDF to a Word document instead of using one single thread.

Jared Tabor wrote:
Great idea. I am asking one of our developers to provide the option to customize the homepage list of forum posts based on latest post, and I'll be back as soon as I have news. Thanks!

Thanx, Jared!

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
República Checa
inglés al checo
+ ...
Forum discussions sort Feb 28, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Bottom line would be less threads and higher quality. As it is now, piggybacking on an old thread on the very same subject will send the message dozens of screens behind. It will only be found by searching, no matter how current or recurrent the issue may be.

I totally agree with José on this. Once a thread disappears from the homepage or from the Recent Posts list, it's dead forever, followed only by a few who have turned on the e-mail notification. Some threads don't receive any meaningful answers, because they are pushed away too quickly. The current sort order substantially reduces the information value of the forums.

Jared Tabor wrote:

Great idea.

It has been suggested several times, but nobody seems to listen. For example, my suggestion in the famous "Let's improve ProZ.com" thread: Sort the forums by the date of the last post by default and keep the option to sort them by the creation date. (Sep 19, 2006)

I am asking one of our developers to provide the option to customize the homepage list of forum posts based on latest post, and I'll be back as soon as I have news.

An option will not help, unless it is turned on by default. Most of the users will never notice it and they will use the default settings. Also, why apply it to the homepage list only?

Yaotl Altan
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
thanx! Mar 15, 2008

Thank you, Hynek. I hope we'll be listened this time

Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum discussions sort

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »