Rossana Pinna
Rossana Pinna
Italy
Local time: 00:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 6, 2023

Hello everyone,
I received an e-mail through Proz by an external user offering a translation job. I am asked to translate a text of 5,500 words for 750€. The expertise area is economics and finance, a field I have no esperience in. The e-mail asked to send a cv and a translation sample, which I did. Soon after they sent me the text I should translate, but told me that the payment will be in cryptocurrency only. I searched the sender's name on the internet and I found no relevant result.
... See more
Hello everyone,
I received an e-mail through Proz by an external user offering a translation job. I am asked to translate a text of 5,500 words for 750€. The expertise area is economics and finance, a field I have no esperience in. The e-mail asked to send a cv and a translation sample, which I did. Soon after they sent me the text I should translate, but told me that the payment will be in cryptocurrency only. I searched the sender's name on the internet and I found no relevant result. Moreover, they used a service called Protonmail to hide their real e-mail address under a fake one. I can tell by the domain.
Do you think I have reasons to believe it is a scam and, if so, is there a way to report it?
Thank you.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:12
German to English
Don't accept cryptocurrency ... Dec 6, 2023

... unless you can purchase crypto groceries. It's probably a scam.
Dealing in cryptocurrencies is not for amateurs. Even legitimate transactions pose numerous pitfalls. People lose their shirts trying to deal in non-cash currencies.

expressisverbis
writeaway
Jorge Payan
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michele Fauble
Walter Landesman
Robert Rietvelt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possibile scam?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »