Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2005

Hi, I have a .dat file from an old dictionary CD, the software for which will no longer run stably on winXP.

The file is quite large (500 MB) and so word, wordpad etc. will not open it.

Does anyone know of some software I can use, or a workaround that will allow me to open, and even better search and perhaps even migrate this file?

I would ideally like to be able to open it and then perhaps search it, or even import or migrate it to another format (babylon,
... See more
Hi, I have a .dat file from an old dictionary CD, the software for which will no longer run stably on winXP.

The file is quite large (500 MB) and so word, wordpad etc. will not open it.

Does anyone know of some software I can use, or a workaround that will allow me to open, and even better search and perhaps even migrate this file?

I would ideally like to be able to open it and then perhaps search it, or even import or migrate it to another format (babylon, termbase etc.).

Any suggestions more than welcome.

Cheers.

Sandy
Collapse

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
UltraEdit software Jun 15, 2005

A .dat file may contain huge amounts, as in this case, of unformatted data or even binary data. UltraEdit allows you to read and rearrange this old format.

Myriam

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion Jun 15, 2005

I downloaded the file and tried it, but it still didn't open.

Any other suggestions?

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 18:04
English to Russian
+ ...
it's hardly possible Jun 29, 2005

I think that without dictionary file format description from autors of this dictionary You hardly open this file in acceptable time. Imagine, You can extract word database from any available dictionary!!!???
So the only way to export wordbase from it to text - using copy|paste automated script on the platform the original dictionary runs stably.

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 09:04
English
Hard to do Jul 1, 2005

DAT files are usually compressed, binary formats that can only be read by the software that produced them. If you look at them with a text editor, they are garbage.

There are tools that can extract any "human" text from binary files, with varying degrees of success. It might be able to keep the words anddefinitions together.
... See more
DAT files are usually compressed, binary formats that can only be read by the software that produced them. If you look at them with a text editor, they are garbage.

There are tools that can extract any "human" text from binary files, with varying degrees of success. It might be able to keep the words anddefinitions together.

http://www.topshareware.com/Word-Extractor-download-15937.htm

You could try loading the dictionary onto an older computer to see if you can export the whole thing into a text file to move to XP.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open/view a dictionary .DAT file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »