Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Norton AntiVirus subscription ends - what other products are recommendable?
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
barbara jarczak (X)
barbara jarczak (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:22
Dutch to French
+ ...
There are beter antivirus than Norton. Jun 17, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

My subscription to the Norton AntiVirus update will expire in a month. I just wanted to update but got a notice that my specific version (AntiVirus 2003) is no longer supported, which means that I can extend my subscription but won't receive any support in case the software itself gets damaged or does not work.

They do offer a "special price" for upgrading to a more recent version (along with some other software that I don't need), but before I make a decision I wanted to know what other choices I have.

I've heard a lot about McAfee and AVG AntiVirus. The latter one offers a subscription period of two instead of only one year, as McAfee and Symantec do.

I am not dissatisfied with Symantec just don't feel like upgrading to a fancy bundle that I really don't need.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA.

Sonja
Dear Sonja, I have had Norton for 2 years, but then I discovered PC Cillin from Trend micro and for the same price, I find it very very good and feel now safe with my PC. Just try it!
Best regards, Barbara Jarczak

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
F-Secure Jun 17, 2005

I run F-secure since last automn and happy with it. Mail is scanned automatically and bugware is removed, but the messages come through.
With Antivir I had never any trouble, but when once it found a virus it deleted the whole mail folder. When I switched to ZoneAlarms Antivirus package I found out there were several viruses on my hard-disc, which Antivir never had mentioned.
There is no free lunch, and the 70 Euro for F-Secure seem well spent.
Regards
Heinrich

Lorena Grancelli
Lorena Grancelli  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
AVG Free Edition Jun 17, 2005

Hi Sonja,

My husband and I have been using the AVG free edition for 3+ years now and it is great. We have two machines and a small network to share the broadband connection. This program proved to be very reliable, neither of us has had a virus since we downloaded that free version.
You can get it here: www.grisoft.com
You can also set all the parameters for email scanning, daily automatic
... See more
Hi Sonja,

My husband and I have been using the AVG free edition for 3+ years now and it is great. We have two machines and a small network to share the broadband connection. This program proved to be very reliable, neither of us has had a virus since we downloaded that free version.
You can also set all the parameters for email scanning, daily automatic updates, and some other features.
I would highly recommend it!

Lorena
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
AVG Jun 18, 2005

Luna wrote:

Hi Sonja,

You can also set all the parameters for email scanning, daily automatic updates, and some other features.
I would highly recommend it!

I completely agree with the above.
I also use AVG free for 5 years, I never had a virus (it catches everything and put it in a vault where you can delete it yourself) or a problem with it. It install and uninstall very easily (if needed) and I update manually every day when I start to work.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Another antivirus... Jun 18, 2005

...to add to your collection is Kaspersky AntiVirus. The latest version Kaspersky AntiVirus Personal MP3 (to be released in June, I think) has some interesting features.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton AntiVirus subscription ends - what other products are recommendable?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »