How to find words by entering "parts" of words on- or offline?
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
English to German
Jul 20, 2005

What I would like to do is the following: Find all words that contain a certain part, for example when I type in "libri", I would like to get also "colibri", or when I type in "tui", the results should also show "intuition".

Adding asterixes does not work with search engines on the internet, or does it with certain engines? Or does anyone of you know of online dictionaries or encyclopaedias or software that's able to do that?

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
German to English
+ ...
AltaVista, HotBot Jul 20, 2005

AltaVista allows truncation searches - only with the asterisk at the end of the word, I think.

http://www.mlb.ilstu.edu/ressubj/subject/intrnt/srcheng.htm

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
OneLook does it Jul 20, 2005

Hi Marion,

OneLook - an engine searching a number of on-line dictionaries does allow for it - I checked for *libri and got colibri, too

You may like to check this Metasearch Engines Collection (scr
... See more
Hi Marion,

OneLook - an engine searching a number of on-line dictionaries does allow for it - I checked for *libri and got colibri, too

You may like to check this Metasearch Engines Collection (scroll down the page to metasearch engine boxes and descriptions) - Fazzle should do if you check Boolean option, but somehow it seemed to be down for a moment when I was checking.

HTH,
Magda
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Jul 20, 2005

This is exactly what I have been looking for, Magda, THANKS!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find words by entering "parts" of words on- or offline?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »