Translation Office 3000 users: please help!!
Thread poster: Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:46
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2007

Hello prozians and TO3000-users,

I have just bought TO3000 V8 and have spent the whole weekend trying to adjust the settings and above all the invoice template to my needs (and to the Italian tax system). Needless to say, the only thing I achieved is red eyes, a huge headache and a very nervous husband

I have sent three emails to the customer support (yesterday and today), but I have not received an answer
... See more
Hello prozians and TO3000-users,

I have just bought TO3000 V8 and have spent the whole weekend trying to adjust the settings and above all the invoice template to my needs (and to the Italian tax system). Needless to say, the only thing I achieved is red eyes, a huge headache and a very nervous husband

I have sent three emails to the customer support (yesterday and today), but I have not received an answer yet. As I’d like to start issuing my invoices going back to Jan 1st (!), I ask you to help me out!

The first problem is about the numbering of the projects and the invoices. My last project in 2006 finished in January, so my first invoice in 2007 refers to project n. 106. Then I have project n. 1 (2007) and invoice n.2/2007. but if I set the project number to 106, the following one will be 107 etc. and there is no way to set it back to 1. The same will of course happen next year, so I really need to fix this.

Just to be clear:
Project n. 106 (2006) > Invoice 1/2007
Project n. 1 (2007) > Invoice 2/2007
Project n. 2 (2007) > Invoice 3/2007 etc…

The second *big* problem is about markups and taxes. Apparently the system applies all markups to the jobs total. But in Italy you have to apply some taxes to the total right before it.

If I apply a MARKUP (say, +20% rush job), then I have to apply +4% INPS (it’s a tax, but it’s a good idea to apply it as a markup, as the support suggests in the FAQ) to [jobs total + markup]. After that, I have to apply 20% VAT to [jobs total + markup + INPS]. This one is working. But after this I’ll have to take away -20% RA from [jobs total + markup]. But TO applies it to [jobs total + markup + INPS]. I hope this is not too confusing!! I could not figure out how to solve it.

The worst problems I had were with the invoice template. I have to admit I am not an expert with variables and if-clauses, but everything worked fine with the quote and the project templates. But the invoice template cost me a weekend of tests and it is still not working as I want it.

If you have more than one job and only one tax (!), a table mistake appears (table damaged). Why is this?
Moreover if you have only one markup, the second subtotal (referring to the second markup) appears on the invoice, so you get two identical subtotals. I couldn’t manage to take it out.
While after the second tax there is no subtotal where there should be. How can I add this?

One more detail: \CLIENT_PAYMENT_TERMS\: “Within 40 days (from Invoice date)”… is it possible to have this sentence in other languages? My invoices are 99% to Italian and German customers, I don’t want to keep this sentence in English.

There would be many more little things I’d like to ask, but I’d like to sort out these first…

I hope someone can give advice or suggestions. Thank you!

nicole
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:46
Italian to English
+ ...
TO3000 Apr 3, 2007

Edited: sorry, Nicole - I assumed you had converted from v7! I guess my advice on the conversion tool from v7 to v8 no longer holds.
Best of luck,
Amy

[Edited at 2007-04-03 10:10]

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Same Problems Apr 3, 2007

Hi Nicole,

I have bought it recently and I, too, am in a similar state... but fortunately they replied to my questions. Only those answers are not much use for me

Thought it was simple this system. But I'm learning that it's not. Come on, will you believe it... using it I ended up having an unbelievable figure as my income (a real dream figure)... and I've no clue how did it happen.

How I w
... See more
Hi Nicole,

I have bought it recently and I, too, am in a similar state... but fortunately they replied to my questions. Only those answers are not much use for me

Thought it was simple this system. But I'm learning that it's not. Come on, will you believe it... using it I ended up having an unbelievable figure as my income (a real dream figure)... and I've no clue how did it happen.

How I wish the figure was my real income!!!

It's easier to do manual accounts.

Regards,

Ritu

p.s.: why can't they have a proper users' manual?
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
That's my opinion, too! Apr 3, 2007

I downloaded it earlier this year (meaning to try it out and buy it later) and came to your very same conclusion:

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

It's easier to do manual accounts.

p.s.: why can't they have a proper users' manual?

Maybe a computer scientist doesn't have any problems with this tool, but we are only translators

Good luck to Nicole!

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
A few suggestions Apr 3, 2007

Nicole Maina wrote:

The second *big* problem is about markups and taxes. Apparently the system applies all markups to the jobs total. But in Italy you have to apply some taxes to the total right before it.

Hi Nicole,
I'm using TO3000 too and for the markups for Italian invoices I solved the problem as follows:

I put the 4% INPS in the first markup
VAT as TAX1
RA as a negative TAX2
If you don't invert the TAX order it should work.
I then adjusted the invoice template to have

subtotal
Inps
total+inps
VAT
-RA
Total due

the functions are:

Subtotale: \JOBS_TOTAL\
Discount etc: \DISCOUNT1_VALUE\ or \DISCOUNT2_VALUE\ *
Inps: \DISCOUNT1_VALUE\ or \DISCOUNT2_VALUE\ *

Imponibile: \NET_JOBS_TOTAL\

IVA: \TAX1_VALUE\

RA: \TAX2_VALUE\

Totale Fattura: \AFTERTAX1\

Totale a pagare: \INV_DUE\ \Client_currency\

I can send you my template if you want, just send me an e-mail ^_^

*If you need to add another discount/markup select it before adding the inps markup .

One more detail: \CLIENT_PAYMENT_TERMS\: “Within 40 days (from Invoice date)”… is it possible to have this sentence in other languages? My invoices are 99% to Italian and German customers, I don’t want to keep this sentence in English.

you just have to add different options with the sentence in a different language under Settings>Business>Payment methods

As for the project numbering I don't think it can be changed, but maybe the customer service will help. ^__^

[Edited at 2007-04-03 15:58]

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
IMHO, invoice numbering should not changed. Apr 4, 2007

Personally, I don't think that invoice numbering should be changed. But this is only my opinion (as motivated below), other users have chosen a different solutions.

Please notice that TO3000 links jobs with invoices, and invoices with payments, and invoices /payments with accounts (balances) for each customer.

Example: Let us assume you have a client named John Doe. When you enter information for this client (New client wizard), they will receive a 7-letter code, say "J
... See more
Personally, I don't think that invoice numbering should be changed. But this is only my opinion (as motivated below), other users have chosen a different solutions.

Please notice that TO3000 links jobs with invoices, and invoices with payments, and invoices /payments with accounts (balances) for each customer.

Example: Let us assume you have a client named John Doe. When you enter information for this client (New client wizard), they will receive a 7-letter code, say "JOHNDOE".

The first time you issue a job assigned by them, TO3000 will create job J-JOHNDOE001.
The second time you issue a job assigned by them, TO3000 will create job J-JOHNDOE002. And so on.

At some point in time, you will create an invoice, the first invoice for this customer, by TO3000. This will be I-JOHNDOE001. Say it will contain J-JOHNDOE001, J-JOHNDOE002 and J-JOHNDOE003.

At some point in time, hopefully, you will be paid. This payment shall be entered as P-JOHNDOE001.

When you enter this payment, you should link it to the corresponding invoice.

So, in the ideal case, you will have
J-JOHNDOE001, J-JOHNDOE002 and J-JOHNDOE003
linked to
I-JOHNDOE001
Which is in turn linked to
P-JOHNDOE001

The account page will show that account JOHNDOE has a balance 0. (All issued invoices have been paid).

This leaves out the case when the amt paid by the client il slightly different from the amt due. This lead to the topic of phantom invoices … ie dummy invoices for small amounts, just created to accommodate these discrepancies.

However, you don't want to use this numbering system fpor your invoices, ie you don't want to have your invoice to be numbered as I-JOHNDOE001, but as "Fattura N. 004/2007", or "Invoice #004/2007", because this is, say, the fourth invoice you are issuing in 2007.

As far as I concerned, I chose to use this system too. But I wanted my invoice filenames to contain the best of the 2 worlds, ie: a) number X (referred to the year) b) client code c) number Y (referred to the client) d) year.

So I will have to manually copy I-JOHNDOE005.rtf (filename assigned by TO3000 to my 5th invoice to this client) into another folder and save it as
004_JOHNDOE_2007_005.rtf

This file name says that:
This is the 4th invoice I've issued in 2007.
This is the 5th invoice I've issued for this client, from Adam and Eve up to now.

Hoping this may help you..

PS I forgot to add I have the old version, TO3000 v.7. Don't know if this applies to v.8.

[Edited at 2007-04-04 02:41]

[Edited at 2007-04-04 02:43]
Collapse

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
Why are the above links SO important? Apr 4, 2007

I forgot to explain why jobs/invoice links, on one side, and invoices/payments, on the other side, are so important.

The reason is that you can apply very useful filters to your views.

For instance, you can choose to ONLY view jobs "completed but not invoiced", for all clients or ONLY for a specific client.

You can also choose to ONLY view pending invoices, ie invoices issued but not honoured (not yet), for all clients or ONLY for a specific client.
... See more
I forgot to explain why jobs/invoice links, on one side, and invoices/payments, on the other side, are so important.

The reason is that you can apply very useful filters to your views.

For instance, you can choose to ONLY view jobs "completed but not invoiced", for all clients or ONLY for a specific client.

You can also choose to ONLY view pending invoices, ie invoices issued but not honoured (not yet), for all clients or ONLY for a specific client.

Lastly, you can see balances, for all clients, or ONLY for a specific client, and identify the "bad boys" at a glance [and send a message such as "Dear Madam, Dear Sir, I would like to point to your attention that my invoice dated XX/XX/XXX has not been settled yet. Most probably, you simply didn't notice it was past due etc..." or "You guys are a sort of reluctant payers, I will never accept any jobs from you in the future unless you pay me asap ..." (I'm joking)].

[Edited at 2007-04-04 03:00]

[Edited at 2007-04-04 03:00]

[Edited at 2007-04-04 03:01]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Office 3000 users: please help!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »