Adding synonyms, acronyms in MultiTerm 7
Thread poster: Joanna Drzewieniecki
Joanna Drzewieniecki
Joanna Drzewieniecki  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
Spanish to English
Jan 31, 2006

Thanks to everyone for the answers to my previous question regarding TRADOS support. My conclusion is that I need to soldier along a bit more trying to learn the program. Perhaps you can help with the following question:

Before translating in TRADOS, I thought I would input part of my own glossary into MultiTerm 7. All went well until I tried to enter more than one term under a language (a synonym or an acronym). I cannot find a way to do this (right clicking on the language flag do
... See more
Thanks to everyone for the answers to my previous question regarding TRADOS support. My conclusion is that I need to soldier along a bit more trying to learn the program. Perhaps you can help with the following question:

Before translating in TRADOS, I thought I would input part of my own glossary into MultiTerm 7. All went well until I tried to enter more than one term under a language (a synonym or an acronym). I cannot find a way to do this (right clicking on the language flag does not work). I also tried entering a synonym in the sample provided in MultiTerm (to control for possible errors in setting up my own termbase), with no success. There is an option to "search for duplicates" and then "merge entries" but this is time consuming (and despite various efforts, I still haven't been able to merge anything). I read the pertinent sections of the MultiTerm manual and cannot find an answer to this question.

Thanks for your help,

Joanna
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:50
English to German
+ ...
Click on 'Edit' first Jan 31, 2006

Hi again,
To edit an entry, you first need to enter Edit mode (right-click into the entry, and select Edit in the context menu). Depending on your termbase setup, you should then be able to enter an additional term by right-clicking on the language.

HTH, Ralf

Joanna Drzewieniecki
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Jan 31, 2006

Dear Ralf,
I spent almost four hours (!!!) yesterday attempting to do just this. I created more than one termbase and finally adopted the structure of the sample termbase to assure I could add synonyms. And I still cannot do it! You say "depending on your termbase setup" -- so the next question is what could be wrong with the termbase setup?
Best,
Joanna

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
To edit an entry, you first need to enter Edit mode (right-click into the entry, and select Edit in the context menu). Depending on your termbase setup, you should then be able to enter an additional term by right-clicking on the language.

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I would need to know your termbase setructure to answer this... Jan 31, 2006

You say "depending on your termbase setup" -- so the next question is what could be wrong with the termbase setup?

I didn't say anything was wrong with it, but I don't know whether you are using "Term" or something else to denote a term entry...

Sorry, but you will need to describe the problem in some more detail (exact version number, error message(s) etc.).

Best regards,
Ralf

Joanna Drzewieniecki
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Info you requested Jan 31, 2006

Hi Ralf. Here in the information:

MultiTerm Version 7

Index fields: EN SP

Descriptive fields: Subject, Type, Note, Source, Definition, Graphic

Entry structure:

-Entry Level
--Index Level
---Term Level
-----Graphic
-----Note
-----Definition
-----Source
--Graphic
--Note
--Definition
--Source
--Type
--Subject

[Edited at 2006-01-31 18:59]

[Edited at
... See more
Hi Ralf. Here in the information:

MultiTerm Version 7

Index fields: EN SP

Descriptive fields: Subject, Type, Note, Source, Definition, Graphic

Entry structure:

-Entry Level
--Index Level
---Term Level
-----Graphic
-----Note
-----Definition
-----Source
--Graphic
--Note
--Definition
--Source
--Type
--Subject

[Edited at 2006-01-31 18:59]

[Edited at 2006-01-31 19:04]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No remote diagnosis, I'm afraid... Jan 31, 2006

Hi again,
I'm afraid I cannot perform remote diagnosis on this basis...

-Entry Level
--Index Level
---Term Level

...what I'm missing here are your index entries (languages)...

Best regards,
Ralf

Joanna Drzewieniecki
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Ralf Jan 31, 2006

I thought that when I specified the languages: EN (English) and SP (Spanish), I was specifying the index terms?

If you cannot provide an answer, can you tell me where I can call to talk to a real person about obaining support in the form of a contract or any other way?

Thanks,

Joanna

[Edited at 2006-01-31 22:37]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your posting didn't mention the languages. Feb 1, 2006

Hi again,

I thought that when I specified the languages: EN (English) and SP (Spanish), I was specifying the index terms?

You specified the indexes - the terms are listed under each index. My problem was that your entry structure mentioned the 'term level', but not the indexes themselves.

What happens exactly when you (i) attempt to edit an entry; and (ii) once in edit mode, you right-click on one of the languages?

If you cannot provide an answer, can you tell me where I can call to talk to a real person about obaining support in the form of a contract or any other way?

I cannot answer that, I'm afraid, as I don't represent SDL Trados.

Best regards,
Ralf

Joanna Drzewieniecki
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
what I get when I right click Feb 1, 2006

Dear Ralf,

Thank you for your help, patience and for clarifying that you do not work for SDL/Trados.

To answer your question: I can add entries in MultiTerm and I can edit everything except for adding synonyms. When I right click on the flag or the name of the language I get a menu that allows me to add a new entry, make a copy of the existing entry, etc. This is the same menu that appears if I click anywhere on the window (except on fields where I specified that a not
... See more
Dear Ralf,

Thank you for your help, patience and for clarifying that you do not work for SDL/Trados.

To answer your question: I can add entries in MultiTerm and I can edit everything except for adding synonyms. When I right click on the flag or the name of the language I get a menu that allows me to add a new entry, make a copy of the existing entry, etc. This is the same menu that appears if I click anywhere on the window (except on fields where I specified that a note, definition, etc. can be added.

I remain confident that there is a simple solution to this problem if only we can find it!

Best,

Joanna
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Enter Edit mode first, then click on the language Feb 1, 2006

Hi again,
When I right click on the flag or the name of the language I get a menu that allows me to add a new entry, make a copy of the existing entry, etc. This is the same menu that appears if I click anywhere on the window (except on fields where I specified that a note, definition, etc. can be added.

First you need to enter Edit mode (either by right-clicking on the entry and selecting Edit in the context menu, or via Entry - Edit (F2).

Then you need to to right-click on the language (not on the flag); this should give you a popup called Term.

Works for me - that's all I can suggest, I'm afraid.

HTH, Ralf

Joanna Drzewieniecki
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Delicate touch needed Feb 1, 2006

Ok Ralf. I knew I would probably be embarrassed when the solution was found! Yes it does work. Many thanks, Joanna

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yessss!! Feb 1, 2006

I knew I would probably be embarrassed when the solution was found! Yes it does work.

Nothing to be embarrassed about - glad it worked!

Best, Ralf

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Synonyms in Multiterm Apr 22, 2006

Thanks a lot to both of you for solving this problem. I am using Multiterm 2007 and have tried for hours to find a way to enter synonyms.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding synonyms, acronyms in MultiTerm 7

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »