david angel (X)
Local time: 16:36
French to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2006

Tag Editor in Trados 6.5
Excel 2000
Windows 98 SE

Hi. Last night, I tried using TagEditor for the first time with a very simple Excel file. After translating, I tried using Save Target As, but the resulting Excel file, although containing some translated text after the = sign, was otherwise empty - or appeared to be. Maybe I am just not very experienced with Excel files, or its a problem with TagEditor. Can anyone help? I would be very grateful.
David Angel.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:36
Member (2003)
German to French
doublon Apr 11, 2006

Oups, sorrry :-/

[Edited at 2006-04-11 11:21]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
The "equal" sign Apr 11, 2006

Hi David,

I had a similar problem once, and the "equal" sign was the troublemaker.
Your Excel file should have no cell beginning with =, as TagEditor interprets this to be a formula and can not handle this.

To avoid any problem, before converting/translating your file, replace any = sign with another sign you can well remind of (e.g. a $ or *), then translate your file normally and save it as target.

And don't forget to replace back the $ or * with =
... See more
Hi David,

Your Excel file should have no cell beginning with =, as TagEditor interprets this to be a formula and can not handle this.

To avoid any problem, before converting/translating your file, replace any = sign with another sign you can well remind of (e.g. a $ or *), then translate your file normally and save it as target.

And don't forget to replace back the $ or * with = once you got the final target file!

Hope it can help!

Regards,
Sylvain
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Apr 11, 2006

merci, Sylvain. Je vais l'essayer.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New info Apr 11, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Hi David,

And don't forget to replace back the $ or * with = once you got the final target file!

Hope it can help!

Regards,
Sylvain

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New Info Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for the help.

Maybe I should be more specific. I don't see any = sign in the original text, except as the Edit Formula Button at the top of the Excel sheet.
I assume I can't change that.
When I save the file in Tag Editor with Save Traget As the resulting file contains nothing except a line of target language text after the = sign (ie Edit Formula Button.)
I may be just dumb or (more likely) inexperienced with both Excel and Tag!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Apr 11, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Save Target As in TagEditor with excel files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »