SDLXLite: How to type m² (the abbr. for square meter)
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:02
English to German
Apr 24, 2006

Hello,

does anybody know how I can type m²(the abbreviation for square meter) in the target segment of SDLXLite?

There is no m² in the source segment, so I cannot use format painting.

I have asked the agency and they said it is done by typing
m + Alt+0178 (Alt+0178 = ²)
but it does not work and they think it might be because they have an English keyboard and I have a German one.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!
... See more
Hello,

does anybody know how I can type m²(the abbreviation for square meter) in the target segment of SDLXLite?

There is no m² in the source segment, so I cannot use format painting.

m + Alt+0178 (Alt+0178 = ²)
but it does not work and they think it might be because they have an English keyboard and I have a German one.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Katrin
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you using the numeric keypad? Apr 24, 2006

Hi Karin,

You need to type the 0178 using the keys on the numeric keypad on the right hand of your keyboard. I don't think it's possible to enter ASCII codes with the normal number keys. Also, it might be necessary to activate Num Lock by pressing the Num key on the numeric keypad, in case it isn't activated.

This works perfectly for me, and I use a German keyboard just like you.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Claudia

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
keyboard for Dummies ;-) Apr 24, 2006

Dear Claudia,

thank you very much!!!

It works perfectly, and I feel very ashamed that I did not think of using the numeric keypad.

Thanks a lot for explaining it to me!

Kind regards,
Katrin

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Alt-Ctrl-2 Apr 25, 2006

If you're using the German standard keyboard layout of XP, Alt-Ctrl-2 will produce ² and Alt-Ctrl-3 will give you a ³.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I just copy from Notepad Apr 25, 2006

Katrin Lueke wrote:
m + Alt+0178 (Alt+0178 = ²) but it does not work and they think it might be because they have an English keyboard and I have a German one.

I have the same problem with Wordfast. The keyboard shortcuts for making the ² sign overlaps with other keyboard shortcuts (in fact, I can't even make that sign in my browser). My solution is simple: make the sign in Notepad, and copy it.

If you're using Windows, you can also configure any keyboard-shortcut for the sign, by doing Start -> Accessories -> Character Map (must be installed, though).

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Apr 25, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLXLite: How to type m² (the abbr. for square meter)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »