Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:41
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2006

Hello, all.

I am currently working towards an MSc in Translation and Technology, and a large part of my assessment is based on a project about the use of Trados translator's Workbench, Multiterm, Multiterm Extract and WinAlign. I have access to all these programmes on the university campus (Trados 6.5/Multiterm ix), and at home I have Trados Freelance 7.0 as well as Multiterm (but NOT Multiterm extract).

I would prefer to do the bulk of my project at home because it is
... See more
Hello, all.

I am currently working towards an MSc in Translation and Technology, and a large part of my assessment is based on a project about the use of Trados translator's Workbench, Multiterm, Multiterm Extract and WinAlign. I have access to all these programmes on the university campus (Trados 6.5/Multiterm ix), and at home I have Trados Freelance 7.0 as well as Multiterm (but NOT Multiterm extract).

I would prefer to do the bulk of my project at home because it is more convenient and my computer is faster. Plus I find the newer version of Trados more user-friendly. But there are a couple of things that I want to be sure of before I get stuck in, especially given that I need to use Multiterm Extract which I don't have.

I have to create a Multiterm glossary by first aligning parallel texts in WinAlign, importing them to Multiterm Extract and then to Multiterm itself. This raises several questions:

1. Can I align my texts at home using the newer version of Trados then simply export them as .txt files, take them on a CD-ROM or USB stick to campus and then import them into an older version of WinAlign?

2. If I can do number 1, is it therefore also possible to extract the terminology I need using Multiterm Extract from .txt files created using a newer version by importing them?

3. If I can do number 3 (what a lot of what ifs!), can I then export an xml file from there and send it to my own computer to use with my newer version of Multiterm to create a glossary? I have tried to do that today with no luck, and suspect that it was because I only have the .xml file on this computer, and did not send myself the log file.

I hope I have explained myself well enough. I'd really appreciate some advice from the experts!

Thanks and regards,

Becky.
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Partial answers Apr 27, 2006

I have created numerous Workbench Transition Memories using WinALign, and I have created a few Multiterm glossaries using Extract.

But AFAIK, you should not be using WinAlign to create Multiterm glossaries. That presumably should be done using Multiterm Extract (which I have used with discouraging results).

As I understand it, WinAlign is used for creating Translation Memories for use in Trados Workbench. AFAIK, an export .txt file created in WinAlign should be importab
... See more
I have created numerous Workbench Transition Memories using WinALign, and I have created a few Multiterm glossaries using Extract.

But AFAIK, you should not be using WinAlign to create Multiterm glossaries. That presumably should be done using Multiterm Extract (which I have used with discouraging results).

As I understand it, WinAlign is used for creating Translation Memories for use in Trados Workbench. AFAIK, an export .txt file created in WinAlign should be importable into almost any version of Workbench. AFAIK, the WinAlign export file is no use at all to Multiterm.

The safest way to create Multiterm glossaries (in my experience, and also according to Trados experts) is the MS Excel route - create by whatever means a simple glossary in Excel, and use that to create a proper Multiterm glossary (again in my experience the process is far from intuitive, though the results are very useful).

This may well have left you more confused than ever. My impression is that you have a few gaps in your knowledge, and are therefore barking up some wrong trees. I sympathise, because I was in your shoes a couple years ago, doing a translation M.Sc. (at another university) and the whole Trados business is confusing and difficult, though battling up the learning curve is well worth while for the productivity gains.
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
2nd thoughts Apr 27, 2006

On re-reading your questions, I am getting a better idea of what you're after. But I still think that trying to create a Multiterm glossary via WinAlign and Multiterm Extract into Multiterm itself is going to be complex, and yield disappointing results.

So I think the answer to your first question is that export and import files generally work with any version of Trados or Multiterm.

As for question two, I am not familiar enough with Multiterm Extract to answer. You c
... See more
On re-reading your questions, I am getting a better idea of what you're after. But I still think that trying to create a Multiterm glossary via WinAlign and Multiterm Extract into Multiterm itself is going to be complex, and yield disappointing results.

So I think the answer to your first question is that export and import files generally work with any version of Trados or Multiterm.

As for question two, I am not familiar enough with Multiterm Extract to answer. You can obviously extract data and import it, and import files should work with any version.

As for question three, it depends a lot on which versions you have. You should be able to import an XML file via Multiterm Convert, but as I said in my previous answer, the conversion process is hard -- at first it looks easy, but there are many booby traps on the way to getting a useful Multiterm termbase. I am a happy and devoted user of Trados, but some of their software architecture is mediaeval in its design and user-friendliness.
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some clarification Apr 28, 2006

Dear Peter,
Thank you for you detailed reply.

Perhaps I should clarify. Part of the project is not only using WinAlign, Multiterm and Translator's Workbench, but also Multiterm Extract. And it is not merely a case of using them, but also providing an in-depth evaluation of their use. So in a way it doesn't matter if results are disappointing with Extract!

Extract can be used to extract terms from bilingual text documents (i.e Winaligned parallel texts). As par
... See more
Dear Peter,
Thank you for you detailed reply.

Perhaps I should clarify. Part of the project is not only using WinAlign, Multiterm and Translator's Workbench, but also Multiterm Extract. And it is not merely a case of using them, but also providing an in-depth evaluation of their use. So in a way it doesn't matter if results are disappointing with Extract!

Extract can be used to extract terms from bilingual text documents (i.e Winaligned parallel texts). As part of our project, we need to create a glossary and TM using parallel texts in a particular field and subsequently translate a previously untranslated text in the same field to evaluate how useful these tools are. So it's not just a case of creating a lsit of terms I've found anywhere, but more of extracting those terms from parallel texts. Hence the need to extract terms from Winaligned .txt documents using Extract. If the results are disappointing, so be it. That will form part of my evaluation.

Yesterday I managed to import an xml file which I had created using Extract at uni into my own, newer version of Multiterm. So technically it does work, but it may be that some of the terms I wish to include in my glossary have to be entered manually. Laborious? Maybe. But also useful for the project as a whole.

Many thanks Peter for your suggestions,

Becky.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:41
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bilingual texts - just an idea Apr 28, 2006

Extract can be used to extract terms from bilingual text documents (i.e Winaligned parallel texts).

There's gazzilions of already aligned texts schlummering on our Hard disks. Of course the customer has a mighty say about how to use them, if at all. Why not broadcast a call for them? With some anonymizing, which would not hurt the terms you could be further down the road mighty quick...

Second thought: what about Gutenberg texts? Of course it's a question if you want a MultiTerm database of Dickensian words in Kiswahilli, but then again, your task is to evaluate the tool, not the contents...

Regards

smo

PS: the third thought - oh well, you probably have to do the complete Via Dolorosa anyhow...

[Edited at 2006-04-28 10:35]

Rebecca Hendry
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Fraid so... Apr 28, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

PS: the third thought - oh well, you probably have to do the complete Via Dolorosa anyhow...

[Edited at 2006-04-28 10:35]

Exactly!

Thanks for the advice though, could come in useful in the future.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
Italian to English
+ ...
It works for me.... Apr 28, 2006

I have Trados/WinAlign 7.1 and Term Extract 6.5 (albeit on the same computer) and I regularly create the bilingual text with the 7.1 WinAlign and extract the terms on 6.5 and everything works fine. I hope it does for you, too.

Best regards

Rebecca Hendry
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Richard. Apr 28, 2006

Today I finally managed to get it to work, after several failed attempts. There was a slight problem with the termbase definition, and a few things had changed in the formatting, but it is possible with a little patience!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility queries - Trados/Multiterm 7.0 vs. 6.5

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »