Trados: Can it start a new segment when it finds a manual line break?
Thread poster: Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2006

Dear all,

I'm using Trados 6.0.0.309 and MS Word 2000 (9.03821) on Windows 2000 Professional.

I would like Workbench to start a new segment whenever it finds a manual line break (you know, Shift + Enter in MS Word).

In Workbench, I go to File > Setup > Segmentation Rules tab... and I get stuck there(

Does anybody know what the stop character for manual line break is? Is it possible
... See more
Dear all,

I'm using Trados 6.0.0.309 and MS Word 2000 (9.03821) on Windows 2000 Professional.

I would like Workbench to start a new segment whenever it finds a manual line break (you know, Shift + Enter in MS Word).

In Workbench, I go to File > Setup > Segmentation Rules tab... and I get stuck there(

Does anybody know what the stop character for manual line break is? Is it possible at all to do what I intent to?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Jerónimo
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:03
English to Czech
+ ...
NewLine Sep 26, 2006

You need to add a new rule containing NewLine as the Stop character. This is what I can see in Trados 7.0.

Jerónimo Fernández
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NewLine doesn't seem to work Sep 26, 2006

Hi Hynek,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. However, it doesn't work, unfortunately... Any other idea, somebody?

Cheers,
Jerónimo

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Replace with paragaph marks Sep 26, 2006

One thing you can do is to replace the line breaks with paragraph marks in a reversible way:

1) In the Search box search for all manual line breaks ^l
2) In the Replace box replace them with ^p1234^p - that is two paragraph marks with the string "1234" between them.
3) Translate normally
4) Clean up your translation
5) Reverse the operation, by replacing ^p1234^p with ^l.

Note: the reason to use ^p1234^p is so a
... See more
One thing you can do is to replace the line breaks with paragraph marks in a reversible way:

1) In the Search box search for all manual line breaks ^l
2) In the Replace box replace them with ^p1234^p - that is two paragraph marks with the string "1234" between them.
3) Translate normally
4) Clean up your translation
5) Reverse the operation, by replacing ^p1234^p with ^l.

Note: the reason to use ^p1234^p is so as to create a string that would not otherwise occur in your document: if you were to use simple paragraph marks ^p, when you replaced them back with line breaks, you would also replace the paragraph marks that should remain in your document.
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 27, 2006

Ricardo, thanks a lot for this alternative, it's working perfectly fine.

If I find how to do what I intended to, I'll let you all know.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:03
English to Czech
+ ...
NewLine Sep 27, 2006

However, it doesn't work, unfortunately...

What settings did you use, exactly? I tried it and it works. I simply added a new rule called EOL with the same settings as "End of Paragraph", only with with NewLine as the stop character.

Jerónimo Fernández
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works!! Sep 27, 2006

Hi again Hynek.

I've tried to do as you suggested and it works eventually!

It has started working once that (in File > Setup > Segmentation Rules) I have deselected "Followed by tab" and I have set "Trailing whitespaces" to 0.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience!

Jerónimo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Can it start a new segment when it finds a manual line break?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »