Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Microsoft developing instant translation tool that 'works like a human brain'

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Microsoft developing instant translation tool that 'works like a human brain'".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The foolishness of the human race Nov 28, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

.....it's definitely possible. When - or if - we get there is anyone's guess. Not in the next five years. In the next 25? Probably not. In the next 50? Maybe. In the next 200? I'm almost certain.

The foolishness of the human race is that it's trying to arrive, via technology, at a machine that is able to do what we already know how to do. Madness.

[Edited at 2012-11-28 15:37 GMT]

Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
This can be true... but on another planet Nov 28, 2012

computer can't think by itself, it needs always a degree of human control to function. When science actually manage to create a full human being from scratch, then there might be a chance to create a human like minded software. in all cases, this will never work for my Arabic language.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No- it's true here and now Nov 28, 2012

Nihad_Ali wrote:

computer can't think by itself, it needs always a degree of human control to function. When science actually manage to create a full human being from scratch, then there might be a chance to create a human like minded software. in all cases, this will never work for my Arabic language.

No, Nihad - it's happening NOW. Read this article entitled "Will machines kill mankind? Cambridge academics want to know. Academics highlight threat of super-intelligent technology"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/will-machines-kill-mankind-cambridge-academics-want-to-know-8348998.html

Some of the comments to the article are hilarious, others are really thoughtful and interesting.

And may I point the accusing finger at your Arabic language and mathematics for (a) having introduced the concept of 0, without which no computers could ever have worked (b) the evil Abū ʿAbdallāh Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizm, inventor of al-jabr (algebra).

Guilty !

[Edited at 2012-11-28 17:20 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
??? Nov 29, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

.....it's definitely possible. When - or if - we get there is anyone's guess. Not in the next five years. In the next 25? Probably not. In the next 50? Maybe. In the next 200? I'm almost certain.

The foolishness of the human race is that it's trying to arrive, via technology, at a machine that is able to do what we already know how to do. Madness.

Well, we also know how to walk. That didn't stop us from inventing the car, and I'd say it has proven pretty useful. We also know how to do additions and substractions on paper, but we still invented the calculator and the computer. We also know how to communicate via postal letter, but I noticed you just made a post on an Internet forum.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
God Nov 29, 2012

Some people believe in technology the way some others believe in a god. I'm not one of them. Ever since 1912 when the unsinkable "Titanic", that model of the most advanced technology of the time, foundered on her maiden voyage, I have understood that technology is not triumphant but tragic - see this story from today's newspapers, for instance: http://tinyurl.com/d844xn9 - I don't worship technology; I'm suspi... See more
Some people believe in technology the way some others believe in a god. I'm not one of them. Ever since 1912 when the unsinkable "Titanic", that model of the most advanced technology of the time, foundered on her maiden voyage, I have understood that technology is not triumphant but tragic - see this story from today's newspapers, for instance: http://tinyurl.com/d844xn9 - I don't worship technology; I'm suspicious of it and I don't beleve there is a technological solution to every problem facing mankind. Including translation. Technology is just a tool. Sometimes useful, often dangerous.

Over and out.

[Edited at 2012-11-29 08:00 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
We're not in that discussion Nov 29, 2012

Nobody here claimed that technology can solve all problems. You did claim, however, that it's misguided to seek technological solutions for things we can do without technology. I felt I had to point out how spurious that argument is.

I for one think that trying to develop a computer system that can accurately translate thousands of pages of text in seconds for a cost of 1 dollar is a worthwhile endeavour. If it succeds, it could put a bunch of people out of a job, but that's just th
... See more
Nobody here claimed that technology can solve all problems. You did claim, however, that it's misguided to seek technological solutions for things we can do without technology. I felt I had to point out how spurious that argument is.

I for one think that trying to develop a computer system that can accurately translate thousands of pages of text in seconds for a cost of 1 dollar is a worthwhile endeavour. If it succeds, it could put a bunch of people out of a job, but that's just the way it goes. If you can't see the usefulness of something like that, I'm not sure what to say.
Collapse

Oliver Romero
Oliver Romero  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
why Dec 2, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

That is a big claim and it is backed up by... nothing. Intuitively, emotionally, this claim feels "right" to many people but that doesn't make it true. By stating this unsupported claim, the author essentially tries to resolve the debate by way of declaration before it even begins.

It is backed up by plain common sense. Coming to a ground of general agreement on where to go and why. But let us leave that specific book aside. Instant, perfect, automated means of doing everything we do at our own stumbling pace - where (the hell) does that requirement come from? Are we that sick of doing what we do? We are talking about MT here, but it concerns our whole civilization. Not even entering any kind of moral debate (please), it shouldn't be so far-fetched to ask "what for" instead of sticking to "why not" and going on along an endless road of questionable progress. I'm with Tom here: madness!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft developing instant translation tool that 'works like a human brain'

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »