E-mail etiquette 101

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "E-mail etiquette 101".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Gabriela D'Ippolito
Gabriela D'Ippolito
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Nov 17, 2014

I loved it. It is clear, precise and tremendously useful.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
The what now? Nov 17, 2014

Mostly common sense. However, I don't know about "don’t use Return Receipts on every single email", as I don't know what "return receipts" are in an email context.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Well... Nov 17, 2014

It can't get any more basic than that. Does this really have to be put together in a blog post?!

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:40
French to English
Email tracking Nov 18, 2014

neilmac wrote:

Mostly common sense. However, I don't know about "don’t use Return Receipts on every single email", as I don't know what "return receipts" are in an email context.

Email apps give the sender the option of requesting a receipt, and the recipient then has the option of notifying the sender that the message has been received/read.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
ACKs Nov 18, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Email apps give the sender the option of requesting a receipt, and the recipient then has the option of notifying the sender that the message has been received/read.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation. I call these "receipt acknowledgements" and in EDI they are knowns as ACK. I don't use formal ACK requests as most, if not all of my clients, usually acknowledge delivery as a matter of course. If they haven't received the translations due, they soon let me know! However, I may occasionally add "please confirm receipt" if my wifi or other tech has been playing up, or if the files are unusually large, as the webmail services I use (Yahoo, Gmail) can be unreliable. I don't use Outlook or anything like that.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:40
German to English
People could use BCC more Nov 18, 2014

I regularly receive mall emails from friends/colleagues in which each recipient is displayed (cc:). The unfortunate consequence of this is that since many people still don't use an antivirus program, I receive a fair amount of spam shortly afterward, as well as all the responses from people who choose "Reply to all".

Shockingly, I've received email from agencies revealing their entire vendor list. You'd think an agency would be smarter about things like that.

Last year
... See more
I regularly receive mall emails from friends/colleagues in which each recipient is displayed (cc:). The unfortunate consequence of this is that since many people still don't use an antivirus program, I receive a fair amount of spam shortly afterward, as well as all the responses from people who choose "Reply to all".

Shockingly, I've received email from agencies revealing their entire vendor list. You'd think an agency would be smarter about things like that.

Last year a colleague sent out a mass mailing to about 100 friends. The resulting spam forced me to abandon that email address.

If I'm writing to more than one person, I blind copy (bcc:) everyone, unless they're colleagues working on the same project.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail etiquette 101

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »