Thread poster: Jeanne de Rougemont
Irina Fleming
Irina Fleming
United States
Local time: 11:32
Russian to English
more individuals Apr 3

Hello, everybody!
I have not received anything like what was mentioned by the topic starter but I do get some requests for the translation and if I start asking them more questions, they just give me attachment file for translation and say they will pay with bank money order or bank transfer, what happened with other ways of payments that seem to be safer and more... modern? like cash-app or paypal. Does it sound suspicious for you guys here too?

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
Serbian to English
+ ...
A scammer with real contact details? Apr 4

And mentioned in the local press?

This church is about about as much "real" as at least half of the agencies posting jobs.

If you have a potential interest in that kind of texts, FIRST make sure that whoever claims to represent them really has authority to do so.

But then even very "real" clients are not necessarily the kind of clients that you want to have. See my previous post.

BTW their websi
... See more
And mentioned in the local press?

This church is about about as much "real" as at least half of the agencies posting jobs.

If you have a potential interest in that kind of texts, FIRST make sure that whoever claims to represent them really has authority to do so.

But then even very "real" clients are not necessarily the kind of clients that you want to have. See my previous post.

BTW their website is in fact https://gclchurch.us/ while the subdomain https://en.gclchurch.us/ is the English version of it.

[Edited at 2024-04-05 06:01 GMT]
Collapse

Jessica Coppola
Jessica Coppola
France
Local time: 19:32
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Yep Apr 12

I just received the exact same mail from an Emma this time.
I really don't know what to think.

Mathieu Domec
Mathieu Domec  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
scam Apr 15

I also received a translation request from them.
After a quick search on their website, you can realize that it's hosted by OVH (a French company) in Roubais, with a VPN... Surprisingly, from what I understand, most of the translators here were asked to translate the same amount of documents, that is, 3 books and from English to French...

It kinda screams "scam" all over the place to me, because in my opinion, OVH is not that popular in the USA, especially compared to others,
... See more
I also received a translation request from them.
After a quick search on their website, you can realize that it's hosted by OVH (a French company) in Roubais, with a VPN... Surprisingly, from what I understand, most of the translators here were asked to translate the same amount of documents, that is, 3 books and from English to French...

It kinda screams "scam" all over the place to me, because in my opinion, OVH is not that popular in the USA, especially compared to others, such as Hostinger, A2Hosting etc...
For a Church located in NYC, it doesn't fit... xD
So beware!

You can go to Hosting Checker and enter their website address to make sure.
Anyway, here's my 2 cents. I hope this info will be useful to some of you.

Good luck !

[Edited at 2024-04-15 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Célia Thévenet
Célia Thévenet
France
New user
English to French
A very dangerous sect Apr 22

Hello,

I have been contacted too. They sent me a sample to translate. It was in English, a translation from a Chinese text, and they wanted me to translate it in French. There was a glossary. I started reading the glossary and I was a bit intrigued. As a Christian myself, I didn't quite understand some translations.

I asked for more information regarding the translation, and the answer was:
"What you are translating are live sermons delivered by Christ of the las
... See more
Hello,

I have been contacted too. They sent me a sample to translate. It was in English, a translation from a Chinese text, and they wanted me to translate it in French. There was a glossary. I started reading the glossary and I was a bit intrigued. As a Christian myself, I didn't quite understand some translations.

I asked for more information regarding the translation, and the answer was:
"What you are translating are live sermons delivered by Christ of the last days."

And I did my research. And I found that behind all this, there is a sect called "The Church of Almighty God", and it is quite disturbing. Here is a link if you want to know more: https://www.gotquestions.org/Church-of-Almighty-God.html .

Have a good day,

Célia Thévenet.
Collapse

Luciana Bonancio
Luciana Bonancio  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:32
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam Apr 26

I received the same e-mail but to translate into Portuguese, after a few questions about the project, I sent her the link to this discussion. She stopped answering me.

Marcos Vinícius Martim
Marcos Vinícius Martim
Brazil
New user
Same here 04:55

Luciana Bonancio wrote:

I received the same e-mail but to translate into Portuguese, after a few questions about the project, I sent her the link to this discussion. She stopped answering me.

Was her name Arabella?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with a potential scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »