Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2011 SP2R suddenly can't recognise XLS files!
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:06
German to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2012

I have a project to complete and Studio is suddenly not letting me translate Excel files!

The following error messages appear if I try to add XLS files to a project:

"Pre-Scanning failed to identify the file type, the following messages were generated:"

"Pre-Scanning Error: Microsoft Office 2003 or later must be installed for processing XLS files."

What the ???

I have MS Office 2007 installed and it is the default editor for XLS fi
... See more
I have a project to complete and Studio is suddenly not letting me translate Excel files!

The following error messages appear if I try to add XLS files to a project:

"Pre-Scanning failed to identify the file type, the following messages were generated:"

"Pre-Scanning Error: Microsoft Office 2003 or later must be installed for processing XLS files."

What the ???

I have MS Office 2007 installed and it is the default editor for XLS files.

The only thing I can think that could be causing the problem is that I have installed MS Office 2013 Preview and that is confusing Trados somehow. If that is the case then SDL needs to take action quickly, because 2013 is coming onto the market very soon!

Is this a registry problem? Any ideas?

[Edited at 2012-10-23 05:08 GMT]
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 365 / Office 2013 Nov 4, 2012

I'm inclined to believe that Office 2013 is the cause of this problem. When trying to load an XLSX file created with Excel 2013 I receive the following message:

Pre-Scanning error: The file was not created by supported version of Microsoft Excel application and will not be processed

This does not explain why an XLS file is also being rejected (unless it is a registry entry causing the problem), but is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed urgently by SDL.
<
... See more
I'm inclined to believe that Office 2013 is the cause of this problem. When trying to load an XLSX file created with Excel 2013 I receive the following message:

Pre-Scanning error: The file was not created by supported version of Microsoft Excel application and will not be processed

This does not explain why an XLS file is also being rejected (unless it is a registry entry causing the problem), but is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed urgently by SDL.

HALLO SDL! When will the filter for Office 2013 files be delivered? And is there a workaround until that time? (Using TTX is notoriously unstable with Studio and I would prefer to avoid the extra step!)
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Office 2013 is still only a preview version Nov 4, 2012

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

HALLO SDL! When will the filter for Office 2013 files be delivered? And is there a workaround until that time? (Using TTX is notoriously unstable with Studio and I would prefer to avoid the extra step!)

Hi Nick,

We will of course support Office 2013 but I can't confirm when yet. Your problems are surely caused by 2013, even the xls will be affected by this.

The final version of Office is often different to the preview version so we won't commit serious time to this until we know what the final version will look like.

Regards

Paul

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 365 / Office 2013 (Preview) Nov 4, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that as a pre-release version, SDL will be reluctant to commit too many man hours to the problem, but do you know of a workaround? I even tried changing the default program for Excel to make sure that 2013 was out of the equation, so to speak, but this made no difference.

So far, I have only had problems with Excel files (I also have Office 2007 AND 2010 installed, but this seems to be ignored by studio). Did I menti
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that as a pre-release version, SDL will be reluctant to commit too many man hours to the problem, but do you know of a workaround? I even tried changing the default program for Excel to make sure that 2013 was out of the equation, so to speak, but this made no difference.

So far, I have only had problems with Excel files (I also have Office 2007 AND 2010 installed, but this seems to be ignored by studio). Did I mention that the XLS file was not created in 2013 and not opened or saved at any time with 2013?

The problem hasn't cropped up with Word files as yet.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Office 2013 seems to... Nov 4, 2012

... make some deep changes that uninstalling doesn't clear either. You could try processing as an xlsx but I don't know if this will help. I'm afraid you may be on your own with this at present. I'll ask the support team but can't be certain to give you a workaround at the moment.

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe also... Nov 5, 2012

... try repairing your installation of Office 2007? Perhaps this will help?

Regards

Paul

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
for further information Jan 14, 2013

I have recently installed Office 2013, and I have Studio 2011. There seems to be a major incompatibility issue with docx files and Studio throws 2 errors, one about "document created with an incompatible Windows version" and one about the T4win bookmark. If i save the files as .rtf or .doc the problem is resolved, but I can only assume this is something to do with the Office 2013 file formats.

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2013 throwing up problems Jan 21, 2013

Wendy Leech wrote:

I have recently installed Office 2013, and I have Studio 2011. There seems to be a major incompatibility issue with docx files and Studio throws 2 errors, one about "document created with an incompatible Windows version" and one about the T4win bookmark. If i save the files as .rtf or .doc the problem is resolved, but I can only assume this is something to do with the Office 2013 file formats.

I still have Word 2007 installed and can usually get docx to work although it sometimes throws a wobbly ... Sometimes re-opening the doc in 2007, making a small change and resaving is enough for Trados. Word 2013 obviously leaves some identifier in the file that Trados rejects, even though the file itself would appear to be compatible. It probably only needs some minor tweak on the Trados filter ...

David Grau
David Grau  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use a different version of Office Feb 3, 2013

I can tell you what worked for me.

After some time struggling with Office 2013 and trying all the possible solutions I could think of (saving in Word 2003 format, saving in Compatibility mode...), I tried saving the files in a different computer which only had Office 2010 installed. I opened the files, saved them with a different name and moved them back to the computer that has Trados installed. It worked like a charm.

As Nick pointed out above, Office 2013 might leave
... See more
I can tell you what worked for me.

After some time struggling with Office 2013 and trying all the possible solutions I could think of (saving in Word 2003 format, saving in Compatibility mode...), I tried saving the files in a different computer which only had Office 2010 installed. I opened the files, saved them with a different name and moved them back to the computer that has Trados installed. It worked like a charm.

As Nick pointed out above, Office 2013 might leave some identifier that confuses Trados.
Collapse

Richard Jacobs
Richard Jacobs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2020)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Supporting Office 2013? Feb 7, 2013

Any news about when SDL will start supporting Office 2013 files? It's out officially, so I assume they're working on it?

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 20:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Close Office 2013, run Office 2007 and then Start Studio. OR Cumulative update 8! Mar 6, 2013

Nick,
Just an idea. Since you have MS Office 2007 installed, you can try this. Before you start SDL Studio, start Excel 2007 (just the program) and keep it open. You may have to wait a couple of minutes till setup repairs your Office 2007 installation. Then start SDL Studio and try to import your excel file.

This helped me with Word files (including preview in Studio) when I first installed Office 2010 and there was limited support for the version. I haven't tried Office 2013
... See more
Nick,
Just an idea. Since you have MS Office 2007 installed, you can try this. Before you start SDL Studio, start Excel 2007 (just the program) and keep it open. You may have to wait a couple of minutes till setup repairs your Office 2007 installation. Then start SDL Studio and try to import your excel file.

This helped me with Word files (including preview in Studio) when I first installed Office 2010 and there was limited support for the version. I haven't tried Office 2013 yet and cannot check this solution. Someone with 2013 and an earlier version could try it and post feedback.

Also, I just noticed there is cumulative update 8, which adds support for 2013 documents. Installing it may solve your problem.

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4536

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Reindel
Reindel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
English to Danish
+ ...
Studio 2014 SP1 can't recognise XLS files after update to Office 2016 Jan 26, 2016

I just updated to Microsoft Office 2016, but after this update I have not been able to process Excel files in Studio 2014, even if I choose to save as a Excel 2007 file.

My temporary solution is to save as an Excel 2007 file on another computer (running Office 2007). Then I can open it in Trados Studio 2014.

I also searched the SDL knowledgebase, but haven't been able to find any viable solution here.

It seems to be a replicate of previous errors described
... See more
I just updated to Microsoft Office 2016, but after this update I have not been able to process Excel files in Studio 2014, even if I choose to save as a Excel 2007 file.

My temporary solution is to save as an Excel 2007 file on another computer (running Office 2007). Then I can open it in Trados Studio 2014.

I also searched the SDL knowledgebase, but haven't been able to find any viable solution here.

It seems to be a replicate of previous errors described in this thread for incompability issues with previous combinations of Trados Studio / Microsoft Office, however there ought to be a solution out soon, since the Office 2016 is official.
Collapse

Jack Sims
Jack Sims  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
French to English
repeat of problem with Family 365 and trados 2011 Mar 15, 2016

I just updated to Family 365 and can no longer open xls files in Studio 2011.
I also have Excel 2007 installed. None of the suggestions above are helping me!!!

Dr Kats
Dr Kats  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
Office 2016 on 365 update - can this be rolled back to make Trados work again? Mar 31, 2016

I have the same situation as above Jack Smis esq with Excel and Word since the last software update. Before that, Office 2016 was working normally on my Studio 2011 as with previous versions.

If the above suggestions didn't work, I wonder rolling back the update wouldn't work either? Has anyone tried it? Feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

MICHIRU YABU
MICHIRU YABU  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:06
English to Japanese
Treat as XML spreadsheet Apr 3, 2016

My way to work around this problem is;
- Open the Excel file then save it as XML spreadsheet 2003
- Open the XML spreadsheet in Trados and compete translation then save the translation file as XML spreadsheet
- Open the translation file (XML spreadsheet) in Excel then save it as Excel book.

There may be unwanted lines produced in Trados but it is the best way I figured out for now.

If there are many words which do not need to be translated contained in
... See more
My way to work around this problem is;
- Open the Excel file then save it as XML spreadsheet 2003
- Open the XML spreadsheet in Trados and compete translation then save the translation file as XML spreadsheet
- Open the translation file (XML spreadsheet) in Excel then save it as Excel book.

There may be unwanted lines produced in Trados but it is the best way I figured out for now.

If there are many words which do not need to be translated contained in the source file, I recommend to extract only what needs to be translated to a new file to use in Trados.

My work setting is;
- Windows 10
- Trados Studio 2011 SP2
- MS Office 2016

I hope it helps a bit.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 SP2R suddenly can't recognise XLS files!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »