Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2013

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/marketforceslive/2013/jun/18/sdl-software-group-profit-warning?commentpage=1#start-of-comments

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:13
English to French
+ ...
The market is coming to its senses Jun 18, 2013

"Language services revenue is expected to be below expectations" - Plain English: add "continue" before "to be"

"poor macroeconomic climate" - Plain English: Yup, it's a recession

"customers reducing their volumes" - Nothing new here

"increased pricing pressure." - Plain English: No one is making money.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 01:13
Japanese to English
Allow me to translate Jun 18, 2013

"Increased pricing pressure" = our stuff is too expensive and translators are increasingly opting for cheaper options.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Implications for the industry in general? Jun 18, 2013

I thought this para was interesting with regard to the current state of the industry and maybe the way it's heading (obviously it depends to what extent this is true of other translation companies):

"Language Services revenue in the first half of 2013 is expected to be below management expectations, primarily due to the poor macroeconomic climate, resulting in our repeat customers reducing their volumes, and to a less extent, increased pricing pressure. First half profit for the Ser
... See more
I thought this para was interesting with regard to the current state of the industry and maybe the way it's heading (obviously it depends to what extent this is true of other translation companies):

"Language Services revenue in the first half of 2013 is expected to be below management expectations, primarily due to the poor macroeconomic climate, resulting in our repeat customers reducing their volumes, and to a less extent, increased pricing pressure. First half profit for the Services division is expected to be significantly below management expectations due to the above revenue shortfall. It should be noted there was also an increased investment in infrastructure of automated translation, workflow and process management to improve efficiency as previously highlighted."

Increasing pricing pressure...increased investment in infrastructure of automated translation...Doesn't fill me with optimism for the profession!

Full trading update here:

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/rns/130618sdl2636h

TransAfrique - I understand their 'Language Services' as their own services to direct clients and separate from products such as Studio. They would come under 'Technology' sales in the trading update, which were also below expectations.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 01:13
Japanese to English
Interesting. Jun 18, 2013

Huh. Shows how much I know. What exactly do they sell to direct clients?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
"below management expectations" indeed Jun 18, 2013

In plain English: Until reality hit, management either has been having its head you-know-where, or has been lying to investors.

Idiots or liars, IOW.

Richard Foulkes wrote:

"... revenue ... is expected to be below management expectations

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translations Jun 18, 2013

TransAfrique wrote:

Huh. Shows how much I know. What exactly do they sell to direct clients?

Translations.

They are not only translators' suppliers but competitors.

See www.freetranslation.com

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:13
Italian to English
In memoriam
Just a thought Jun 18, 2013

A commentator quoted in the Guardian article notes:
>
On one level, it is encouraging that the primary driver of the revenue and profit shortfalls announced today is the language services business, which is for us not central to SDL's longer-term attractions.
>
For translators, SDL's domination of the CAT tools market has somewhat masked the fact that we're not terribly important to the company's core activity, which is, apparently, "customer experience management".

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:43
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Interestingly, MT seems to have not been working well for them Jun 19, 2013

For they are talking about exiting this sector -

If the organic growth trajectory remains weak, strategic options such as the divestment of machine translation or separation of the language businesses are likely to rise to the fore.

[2013-06-19 00:44 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Business-ese 1 - 0 Plain English Jun 19, 2013

If the organic growth trajectory remains weak....
... due to poor macroeconomic climate, resulting in our repeat customers reducing their volumes and to a less [sic] extent, increased pricing pressure...

The only way the language in this article could have been more annoying is if they had said "Going forward...." or talked about "cascading ideas and strategies" which I half-expected.

If I had received this as a source text (the equivalent in my source language) my eyes would be doing a 360° roll right about now.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
SDL Jun 19, 2013

Bloodsuckers, that's what they are...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL loses a third of its value after software group issues profit warning

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »