jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 12:03
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
May 21, 2023

I was away from proz.com forums for a very long time and also from other relevant sources, so I am not at all up-to-date regarding the latest developments in the translation industry. Now one of our clients wants us to provide him with an online server based CAT solution for his translation projects, and I am considering "MemoQ Server" for that purpose.

I was probably among the first users of MemoQ in the very beginning when they published their first version(s) and I remember that
... See more
I was away from proz.com forums for a very long time and also from other relevant sources, so I am not at all up-to-date regarding the latest developments in the translation industry. Now one of our clients wants us to provide him with an online server based CAT solution for his translation projects, and I am considering "MemoQ Server" for that purpose.

I was probably among the first users of MemoQ in the very beginning when they published their first version(s) and I remember that their support was just brilliant then. Also many other colleagues here confirmed the same back then.

I now tried to contact the MemoQ sales staff twice in the past weeks through their website. Both times I received an automatic confirmation of receipt for my request, but nobody came back to me regarding my inquiry. That was surprising and makes me assume that MemoQ's service and/or support might have becum much worse in the past yeras. Moreover, I just noticed when browsing the MemoQ support forums here that very often there is no member of MemoQ support team here to answer the translators' questions. That is different than it was before, I think, as I believe to remember that back then years ago there usually would always be someone directly from MemoQ here to answer the questions.

So my question is: have you had any experiences with MemoQ's service and support recently? Are the still good and react fast, and well? Or have you experienced some problems with their service/support?

I am asking this because of the above mentioned recent experiences (no reaction from the sales team to my inquiries, and no MemoQ staff in the recent posts here in forums), and because I do not want to suggest to our client a solution that might turn out later to be a bad choice due to bad support when we need it.
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Still good for me May 22, 2023

I can't comment on their sales team but support was one of the reasons I left Trados about 10 years ago and I personally have only a positive experience. I rarely have extremely urgent requests so don't flag them as such, and the team generally replies within a couple of hours, even quite late at night. They may be slightly less available then at the very beginning, but I've always been satisfied with both the software and the support. I should also point out that I came up against much more ser... See more
I can't comment on their sales team but support was one of the reasons I left Trados about 10 years ago and I personally have only a positive experience. I rarely have extremely urgent requests so don't flag them as such, and the team generally replies within a couple of hours, even quite late at night. They may be slightly less available then at the very beginning, but I've always been satisfied with both the software and the support. I should also point out that I came up against much more serious issues with Trados that would prevent delivery, and there was no support at all. MemoQ is still very user-friendly.
HTH
Kate
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Rita Translator

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:03
Danish to English
+ ...
No problems with memoQ support or their server software May 23, 2023

memoQ support always answers in a timely manner on their support site. I have never seen them reply in forums, and I'm not sure if it's a reasonable expectation, as support not related to bugs is reserved for users with a support and update subscription (which isn't expensive). In general, I'm happy with the support experience.

I would open a support ticket about the lack of a reply from marketing.

A couple of years ago, they implemented an Ideas portal for users to pro
... See more
memoQ support always answers in a timely manner on their support site. I have never seen them reply in forums, and I'm not sure if it's a reasonable expectation, as support not related to bugs is reserved for users with a support and update subscription (which isn't expensive). In general, I'm happy with the support experience.

I would open a support ticket about the lack of a reply from marketing.

A couple of years ago, they implemented an Ideas portal for users to propose improvements, and many of the suggestions have already been implemented, so they are working quite hard on making everything better and probably can't justify using their limited resources on trawling forums for people who want assistance without paying for it.
Collapse

John Fossey

David Gibney
David Gibney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Terrible Aug 19, 2023

They make you pay support for the years you haven't had any issues so I ended up paying hundreds and it was zero help and awful service. I basically got links to 3rd party websites and a lot of excuses.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I agree Aug 20, 2023

David Patrick wrote:

They make you pay support for the years you haven't had any issues so I ended up paying hundreds and it was zero help and awful service. I basically got links to 3rd party websites and a lot of excuses.

That's why I don't upgrade/update MemoQ 9.x anymore. I don't see why I should pay for a service I did not use. Kilgray is not an insurance company.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The money pays for ongoing development Aug 21, 2023

Which makes total sense to me. I'm happy to pay for a program that is constantly being improved.

Also, in my experience support has always been great.

Katherine Mérignac
Thomas T. Frost
John Fossey
Rita Translator

Katherine Mérignac
France
Member (2004)
Plus upgrades Aug 21, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

Which makes total sense to me. I'm happy to pay for a program that is constantly being improved.

Also, in my experience support has always been great.

I agree. And the price also includes upgrades of course, which some companies will make you pay much more for.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Of course Aug 24, 2023

[quote]Katherine Mérignac wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Of course, me too, but why pay for something you didn't use?

So I paid my due in 2021 (aprox. 120 €), skipped the 2022 version, and now in 2023 I would have to pay both for v 2022 I skipped and v 2023 (240 €). Strange business model.

IIRC if I skip upgrading Trados 2020 I have a couple of years to decide wether to update to v 2022 without having to pay for the version in between. But I may be wrong.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
That's not how it works Aug 24, 2023

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

So I paid my due in 2021 (aprox. 120 €), skipped the 2022 version, and now in 2023 I would have to pay both for v 2022 I skipped and v 2023 (240 €). Strange business model.

The €120 you quote is for the annual update and support subscription (it's €124, more precisely). It entitles you to use any version released until the end of your subscription and get unlimited support.

It's not a payment for a 2022 version or a 2023 version, and memoQ doesn't even have a 2022 version or a 2023 version. The most recent version, which I use, is 10.2.11.

If you stop your subscription and later want to resume it, they quite reasonably ask you to pay for the period you skipped, as the subscription model is based on a continuous subscription. Alternatively, you'd have to pay for a complete new licence for €620 (or make use of a promotion to get it for perhaps €434).

The last couple of years, many improvements have been implemented, such as Memsource/Phrase support, backup/restore of the software settings so you can migrate to another computer, choice of whether filter strings in the editing grid should be cumulative or not, improved TM structure (the old one doesn't find certain matches from previous segments) and option for repetitions not to propagate to specific segments. These are improvements users had asked for. You can see the complete list on their website.

Of course, someone who doesn't see any need for the improvements can legitimately choose to stay 'frozen' on a given version, but if that someone then later needs a newer version, the cost of reaching that newer version still needs to be paid. IT development costs a lot of money, and €124 a year to stay up to date and get support is not expensive. With Trados, a similar upgrade and support package costs twice as much.

Tomasz Sienicki
Webb Wei

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Be it as it may Aug 24, 2023

[quote]Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

The €120 you quote is for the annual update and support subscription (it's €124, more precisely). It entitles you to use any version released until the end of your subscription and get unlimited support.

Kilgray has lost a long-standing customer with me.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Free services Aug 24, 2023

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

People choose what they want to buy and what not. Someone who expects software and services to be free isn't very interesting as a client anyway. We see it all the time as translation providers when outsourcers come up with all sorts of excuses for not paying for this or that. Anyway, there are free CAT tools, and one is included in the Proz membership.

As far as I can see, what you want is something like paying for upgrades only every other year and then get all the same improvements that the rest of us pay for annually, i.e. get the same improvements for half the price. Quite reasonably, they decline that.

Katherine Mérignac
France
Member (2004)
Work tool Aug 24, 2023

I personally consider the tool essential to my work and am happy to pay 124 euros a year to keep everything ticking over smoothly. It makes my work easier, it's user-friendly, I know I can rely on rapid support if there's an issue that might prevent on-time delivery (I can only speak from personal experience based on the very rare occasions I've needed assistance), and it significantly increases my efficiency. The sum represents about 0.15% of my income. So for me it's a no-brainer.

... See more
I personally consider the tool essential to my work and am happy to pay 124 euros a year to keep everything ticking over smoothly. It makes my work easier, it's user-friendly, I know I can rely on rapid support if there's an issue that might prevent on-time delivery (I can only speak from personal experience based on the very rare occasions I've needed assistance), and it significantly increases my efficiency. The sum represents about 0.15% of my income. So for me it's a no-brainer.

There are of course other options out there if you're seeking a cheaper option.

And let's face it, things could be so much worse - professionals required to use the Adobe suite fork out one hell of a lot more
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Andrus Lauringson
Rita Translator
John Fossey
Webb Wei

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
No Aug 24, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

People choose what they want to buy and what not. Someone who expects software and services to be free isn't very interesting as a client anyway. We see it all the time as translation providers when outsourcers come up with all sorts of excuses for not paying for this or that. Anyway, there are free CAT tools, and one is included in the Proz membership.

Firstly, I have paid licences for four or five CAT tools. Meaning I'm not interested in free software. OmegaT I use for fun.

As far as I can see, what you want is something like paying for upgrades only every other year and then get all the same improvements that the rest of us pay for annually, i.e. get the same improvements for half the price. Quite reasonably, they decline that. [/quote]

You are wrong. I have been paying my annual fee every year since MemoQ is on the market. I missed out one year. And I don't want to pay in full for something I missed out once since 2007 and did not use. Period.

And IIRC Trados service releases are for free.
With Trados I can choose if I want support or not and if I want to pay for it or not.
Given the wide knowledge and helpfulness of colleagues on the net, who needs paid support anyway (but that's my very own opinion)? Let me quote Cafetran as an example where you can find free help both from the developer and from knowledgeable users.

I would upgrade to MemoQ 10, but not for 248 €.

One thing I have to give Kilgray credit for is that MemoQ is not switched off on not renewing so that one can use his own last version.

[Edited at 2023-08-24 12:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-08-24 12:14 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:03
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
They seem to be preparing something Aug 25, 2023

I think they might be onto something big. If you visit their site, they say this is your last chance to buy memoQ translator pro for 620 EUR before the "price hike" of 100 EUR (https://hub.memoq.com/memoq-promotion-2023-08).

Also, if you log in to your memoQ account, you can see that you can buy a subscription to memoQ translat
... See more
I think they might be onto something big. If you visit their site, they say this is your last chance to buy memoQ translator pro for 620 EUR before the "price hike" of 100 EUR (https://hub.memoq.com/memoq-promotion-2023-08).

Also, if you log in to your memoQ account, you can see that you can buy a subscription to memoQ translator pro for 360 EUR/year (https://my.memoq.com/subscription). (I am not sure if this option was there before; it's new for me, at least.)

[Edited at 2023-08-25 09:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-08-25 09:33 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Subscription Aug 25, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Also, if you log in to your memoQ account, you can see that you can buy a subscription to memoQ translator pro for 360 EUR/year (https://my.memoq.com/subscription). (I am not sure if this option was there before; it's new for me, at least.)

What's the interest of paying €360 a year if you can buy a licence for €620 (soon €720) and pay just €124 a year for a support and maintenance agreement? After just three years, the subscription will be more expensive. €360 is only interesting if you know you will need the software for maximum two years.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ support - still good (or alive)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »