Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:41
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 22, 2021

Do you also have problems with login to PayPal?
It seems I'm not the only one.

Paulo Reis (X)
Angus Stewart

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:41
English to Thai
+ ...
A competitive service provider May 22, 2021

I started using PayPal and another provider from UK since 1997. I never had trouble to login with PayPal but repeating troubles and hassles to requirements of login with the competitive system as well as a Proz.com payment system. Now I use only PayPal.
But I know that PayPal in different countries can be a very boredom.

Soonthon L.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
High rates! May 23, 2021

PayPal keeps claiming it sends and receives money for you "for free", which is absolutely not the case. First of all, they deduct me a fee for any payment I receive, then there is an exchange rate, then they charge me for withdrawing money to my bank, and the rates are atrocious!

I am trying to look for other alternatives such as Payoneer, Paylution, Zelle, ACH transfers, etc.

Anjana Dhakal
Peter Motte
Evelien van de Haar

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Christina May 24, 2021

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

PayPal keeps claiming it sends and receives money for you "for free", which is absolutely not the case. First of all, they deduct me a fee for any payment I receive, then there is an exchange rate, then they charge me for withdrawing money to my bank, and the rates are atrocious!

I am trying to look for other alternatives such as Payoneer, Paylution, Zelle, ACH transfers, etc.

May I suggest Wise (previously known as Transferwise)?

https://wise.com/

[Edited at 2021-05-24 18:05 GMT]

Korana Lasić
Laurent Di Raimondo
Liviu-Lee Roth
mariealpilles
John Fossey
Tom in London
Martín Ybarra

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 10:41
English to Finnish
+ ...
So far, so good. May 24, 2021

One of my best customers pays me using PayPal, from UK to US. I haven't had any issues.

Eric Dos Santos
Eric Dos Santos
France
Member (2010)
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
So so expensive May 25, 2021

3.4% on transfers is so so high! It is absurd.

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
PayPal May 26, 2021

I refuse to use PayPal since in Europe they are absolutely worthless. They take very high rates and their exchange rates are horrendous as well. When there is a certain amount they refuse to let you withdraw all the amount in one transaction, so they can take more rates. I managed to get what was owed to me only once I started writing a complaint to their head office in Luxembourg. Since then I have found out more about their very borderline practices, so I do without. Bank transfers are safe an... See more
I refuse to use PayPal since in Europe they are absolutely worthless. They take very high rates and their exchange rates are horrendous as well. When there is a certain amount they refuse to let you withdraw all the amount in one transaction, so they can take more rates. I managed to get what was owed to me only once I started writing a complaint to their head office in Luxembourg. Since then I have found out more about their very borderline practices, so I do without. Bank transfers are safe and in the EU they are almost free in the SEPA zone. From the US, I ask for Wise to be used and it works - or has so far.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Korana Lasić

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ongoing log in problems with Paypal Jun 28, 2021

The title says it all.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some possible solutions. Jun 29, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:

The title says it all.

1. Clean your cache, or try several different browsers, or a different device.
2. Ask a question on their community forums, it will at least prompt them to pay attention to your problem as there is no dedicated customer service email:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Community/ct-p/en
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Help-Community/ct-p/en-support

Log in problems in the community with some solutions (you can use the search box): https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&filter=location&location=category:en&q=log%20in%20problems

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot log in Jul 6, 2021

And how are you going to ask something to the community if you can't log in?

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll have to quit Aug 2, 2021

I'll quit some subscriptions I have, because they only accept PP payments. Well, at least that'll save me some money.
Unfortunately, proz.com is one of them, because they accept or PP or credit card, and I don't have a credit card.
It's a pity. I have to admit I liked using PP, but it had become a hassle since a year, and since they want you to use a smartphone or the like, it's risky because you could loose the sim c
... See more
I'll quit some subscriptions I have, because they only accept PP payments. Well, at least that'll save me some money.
Unfortunately, proz.com is one of them, because they accept or PP or credit card, and I don't have a credit card.
It's a pity. I have to admit I liked using PP, but it had become a hassle since a year, and since they want you to use a smartphone or the like, it's risky because you could loose the sim card subscription.
As a matter of fact, my mobile phone sim card provider has actually left town, so I'm not even sure at the moment whether I'll be able to renew my sim card subscription. Which also means I might have to change my smartphone number.

I think I also know why PP wants us to use a smartphone.
What they actually want to do, is have the ability to send you text messages via another device then your computer. A tablet connect to your wifi probably won't do, because it's the same internet connection your pc uses.
Till recentely they showed you a code on the computer screen, then they called you, and you had to type in the code.
They want to get rid of those phone calls, that's what's going on. To save a few bucks on phone calls.
And what they gain, the user looses because he has to have a phone being able to receive text messages (usually a mobile phone or smartphone, or some fancy kind of normal phone), and if it's a mobile phone, there are all kinds of riscs involved because of loss/theft/subscription problems.

Some of my friends actually reported they lost some money on PP, simply because they don't have access anymore, and PP is not very helpfull.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Alternative emails. Aug 2, 2021

If you have alternative emails for your account, have you tried logging in with those? Or click “I forgot my password” option and follow the procedure: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/i-forgot-my-password.-how-do-i-reset-it-faq1933

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand Aug 3, 2021

I really don't understand your reaction.
My problem is not the e-mail-account, is that they want me to use text messages by phone to log in, whereas in the past a normal phone was sufficient (and before that, not even a 2nd device was needed).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »