Thread poster: Julie Barber
William Bowley
William Bowley
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
. Jun 21, 2021

As a translator, you are not a travelling salesperson in the 1800s - you are not showing off a 'portfolio' of your wares!

Providing your work in this manner goes against any confidentiality agreements you hold. Even without such agreements in place, it is questionable from an ethical and professional point of view. I wouldn't be rushing to show someone my past work.

If they're really interested, they'll give you the work based on your CV, profiles and interactions. Fail
... See more
As a translator, you are not a travelling salesperson in the 1800s - you are not showing off a 'portfolio' of your wares!

Providing your work in this manner goes against any confidentiality agreements you hold. Even without such agreements in place, it is questionable from an ethical and professional point of view. I wouldn't be rushing to show someone my past work.

If they're really interested, they'll give you the work based on your CV, profiles and interactions. Failing that, completing a short test piece or a 'trial' (small amount of paid work until they can evaluate whether they like it) might be options.
Collapse

Julie Barber

Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 22, 2021

William Bowley wrote:

If they're really interested, they'll give you the work based on your CV, profiles and interactions. Failing that, completing a short test piece or a 'trial' (small amount of paid work until they can evaluate whether they like it) might be options.

I loved the first comment, and all totally true! thanks

William Bowley

Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
NDAs Jun 22, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Any worthwhile stuff you do as a professional is under NDA, unless they simply forgot to make you sign one, in which case you should still act like it is

For a questionable prospect, I offer samples on terms like "send me a link to some article on a relevant topic and I will happily translate a sample of a couple RANDOM paragraphs of my choosing" (I refuse to do whole documents or assigned sections for off-the-street randos, since that often gets used by scammers)

For a PROVEN prospect (know people who work there, work with them already on other language pairs) I'll take an assigned one-page sample

Once upon a time I tried to land some voiceover gigs, for that I just recorded a few short samples of classical literature or news articles. If you really want unsolicited samples to show off, I suppose you could do that.

I often work for agencies who don't ask me to sign anything, however I always act as if we do have an agreement. A new direct client asked me to do a paid test article. They liked the work, so to be courteous, I deducted the test price from my first invoice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portfolio of work

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »