James Armel Smith
James Armel Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:10
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2021

As a still relatively new professional translator, I am curious to know if/how established translators demonstrate their existing clients to agencies they work for in the event an agency presents them with work from one of the translator's existing private clients. More specifically, as an academic translator, I want to be prepared to demonstrate to any agency that may present me with work from a major university (or other relevant academic/research institution) I've already worked for directly ... See more
As a still relatively new professional translator, I am curious to know if/how established translators demonstrate their existing clients to agencies they work for in the event an agency presents them with work from one of the translator's existing private clients. More specifically, as an academic translator, I want to be prepared to demonstrate to any agency that may present me with work from a major university (or other relevant academic/research institution) I've already worked for directly that they are already an existing client of mine. Do you simply inform the agency of this prior to agreeing to work on the project for your existing client through them as well, or are you required to provide documentation (e-mails, contracts, invoices) demonstrating they are a private client to the agency?Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's none of the agencies' business Jul 16, 2021

I never ever give any outsourcer information about who(m) I work for. It's none of their business. And today's agencies will probably use that information to poach your private clients by underselling you.

Wolfgang Schoene
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Baran Keki
Tom in London
Yolanda Broad
Tanja Oresnik
Kevin Fulton

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Of course not Jul 17, 2021

Your client list will immediately be pilfered and seduced with 2 cent MTPE outsourced to a 'Stan.

Tom in London
Christine Andersen
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Abba Storgen (X)

James Armel Smith
United States
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jul 17, 2021

I think I may not have stated my question clearly enough. I'm not considering telling every agency my full direct client list up front. I'm curious what you do specifically in the case when an agency asks you to translate for one of their clients who happens to already be a client of yours as well. So, let's say "University X." If an agency asks me to do a job for University X, and I already work/have worked with University X as a direct client of my own, should I disclose that to them in any wa... See more
I think I may not have stated my question clearly enough. I'm not considering telling every agency my full direct client list up front. I'm curious what you do specifically in the case when an agency asks you to translate for one of their clients who happens to already be a client of yours as well. So, let's say "University X." If an agency asks me to do a job for University X, and I already work/have worked with University X as a direct client of my own, should I disclose that to them in any way so they do not find out some other way later and think I circumvented our non-compete and took University X from them?Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 08:10
Japanese to English
No need Jul 17, 2021

James Armel Smith wrote:

I'm curious what you do specifically in the case when an agency asks you to translate for one of their clients who happens to already be a client of yours as well. So, let's say "University X." If an agency asks me to do a job for University X, and I already work/have worked with University X as a direct client of my own, should I disclose that to them in any way so they do not find out some other way later and think I circumvented our non-compete and took University X from them?

The burden of proof is on the accuser. If an agency claims you circumvented their non-compete, it will have to prove that you already knew the agency worked with University X and that you went ahead to solicit X's business despite that knowledge.

Unless they actively disclose their client list to you, or unless you contacted University X after working with them through the agency, you don't have to tell them anything. You're a business, they're a business. You have your clients, they have theirs.

Tom in London
Georgi Kovachev
Christine Andersen

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@James Jul 17, 2021

You are not obliged to disclose with whom you have worked before, but I must say that for the sake of transparency I have done so in one or two cases (please note that I have been translating for over 35 years).

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jul 17, 2021

You don’t have to tell them. If it ever came to anything, you could prove you were working for the client already.

Christel Zipfel
Yolanda Broad
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Christine Andersen
AnnaSCHTR
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

James Armel Smith
United States
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 20, 2021

Thanks for your feedback! Everyone certainly seems to be in agreement on this subject. Much appreciated!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Is a University even a client? Jul 21, 2021

AFAIK, the usual way they operate in the western model makes them for all intents and purposes closer to an office building, with your actual clients within being little more than their tenants.

Professors and labs in academia are essentially independently funded and competing entities. They don't have shared contractors for translation services precisely because they are hiring you or that agency independently, as Dr. John Doe's Lab/Staff, not as Employee Representing University X.
... See more
AFAIK, the usual way they operate in the western model makes them for all intents and purposes closer to an office building, with your actual clients within being little more than their tenants.

Professors and labs in academia are essentially independently funded and competing entities. They don't have shared contractors for translation services precisely because they are hiring you or that agency independently, as Dr. John Doe's Lab/Staff, not as Employee Representing University X.

James Armel Smith wrote:

I think I may not have stated my question clearly enough. I'm not considering telling every agency my full direct client list up front. I'm curious what you do specifically in the case when an agency asks you to translate for one of their clients who happens to already be a client of yours as well. So, let's say "University X." If an agency asks me to do a job for University X, and I already work/have worked with University X as a direct client of my own, should I disclose that to them in any way so they do not find out some other way later and think I circumvented our non-compete and took University X from them?

[Edited at 2021-07-21 01:08 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:10
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
When ... Jul 21, 2021

James Armel Smith wrote:

If an agency asks me to do a job for University X, and I already work/have worked with University X as a direct client of my own, should I disclose that to them in any way so they do not find out some other way later and think I circumvented our non-compete and took University X from them?

... you are lucky, your direct client may ask you to have proofread that job they outsourced to that agency. And then it would be more wise both parties don't know that you already work for either, so that you can tear down and improve your own work done for them via the agency and have your direct client taken over to you completely.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-competes: Proving existing private clients to agencies

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »