Thread poster: Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2002

I am a UK native and as such have a UK sterling bank account. However, I have lived in Spain and intend to emigrate there permanently next year. I have a Euro Bank account in Spain.

Does anyone know how I will deal with tax? I know it\'s a bit of a technical question, but if I\'m being paid in sterling into my UK bank account and Euros into my Spanish account. Do I pay tax in Spain/UK or (God forbid) both!

Thanks

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
No one may be subjected to double-taxation Nov 11, 2002

Where you pay your tax depends on where you are considered a resident. If you get an EU residence card from Spain, you are considered a Spanish resident. For the meantime, there are as yet no controls on the amounts you are paid in the UK in sterling without an invoice creditable to a Spanish tax account number. However, tax laws are converging more and more every year; it would be good to get periodic updates from the Delegación de Hacienda where you finally decide to live.

... See more
Where you pay your tax depends on where you are considered a resident. If you get an EU residence card from Spain, you are considered a Spanish resident. For the meantime, there are as yet no controls on the amounts you are paid in the UK in sterling without an invoice creditable to a Spanish tax account number. However, tax laws are converging more and more every year; it would be good to get periodic updates from the Delegación de Hacienda where you finally decide to live.

Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
I have a similar situation Nov 11, 2002

in that I get paid into my German and UK accounts. You are only subject to tax in the country where you are resident. I am resident in the UK (for more than 6 months a year) so I pay British tax. While you are living in the UK you are subject to UK tax. When you emigrate you will be subject to Spanish tax. There may be a small overlap if the tax years are different but if so you re-claim your UK tax if you paid too much. You may need to take advice from two accountants - a UK one and a Spanish o... See more
in that I get paid into my German and UK accounts. You are only subject to tax in the country where you are resident. I am resident in the UK (for more than 6 months a year) so I pay British tax. While you are living in the UK you are subject to UK tax. When you emigrate you will be subject to Spanish tax. There may be a small overlap if the tax years are different but if so you re-claim your UK tax if you paid too much. You may need to take advice from two accountants - a UK one and a Spanish one after you move but in general it makes more sense to change over to paying tax in your new country of residence as quickly as possible. Hope that helps. Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 19:56
French to English
+ ...
This is what I do Nov 14, 2002

I\'m registered in France but I still have an English bank account. If I have a client who wants to pay in sterling, I make out the invoice in euros as usual, and then add the total in sterling. The sterling cheque then gets deposited into my UK bank account but the invoice is declared on my French accounts.

Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 15, 2002

Thanks guys for the info. That clarifies it a little more!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bank accounts and taxation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »