Dicounted rate for repetition in the source text?
Thread poster: Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
Latvian to English
+ ...
Mar 25, 2003

I have been asked to translate a number of financial statements and have been asked if I would consider giving a discount for repetition in the source text. Whilst each financial statement *essentially* contains the same reports, the information in each indiviual report (balance sheet etc) is different. To my mind, I believe I should only agree to a discount if there are 100% duplicates.

What do others think?

Thanks in advance for any advice and ap
... See more
I have been asked to translate a number of financial statements and have been asked if I would consider giving a discount for repetition in the source text. Whilst each financial statement *essentially* contains the same reports, the information in each indiviual report (balance sheet etc) is different. To my mind, I believe I should only agree to a discount if there are 100% duplicates.

What do others think?

Thanks in advance for any advice and apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn\'t find any relevant threads in the forums.
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
French to English
Hourly rate for verification Mar 25, 2003

I recently had a project in which there was a good deal of repetition.

I calculated the number of words to translate from scratch (charged per word), and I charged per hour to check the exact matches found when pretranslating (which still need checking, IMO!). This way, the client got a discount and a good-quality text.

FWIW,

Erika

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
German to English
+ ...
Several factors Mar 26, 2003

Sveika Jana!

I generally would agree to a discount if I was told ahead of time where the repetitions are. If I have to find them myself, it means going over the whole text anyway, so I charge normally for that.

There are exceptions, though - I recently had a job where I was provided with background info that ended up containing a lot of the text with minor changes. I just charged the couple of hours it took to copy over, edit, and proof.

... See more
Sveika Jana!

I generally would agree to a discount if I was told ahead of time where the repetitions are. If I have to find them myself, it means going over the whole text anyway, so I charge normally for that.

There are exceptions, though - I recently had a job where I was provided with background info that ended up containing a lot of the text with minor changes. I just charged the couple of hours it took to copy over, edit, and proof.

I think Erika\'s suggestion of an hourly charge for those sections is a good one.

Collapse

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 26, 2003

Ultimately it is difficult to calculate a discount if there are no exact repetitions of entire \'chunks\' of the source text. Luckily I managed to persuade the client that this should be treated as an \'ordinary\' translation!

But thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Finnish to English
Cutting and pasting Mar 26, 2003

Hi

Cutting and pasting is still translating. You have to read the stuff through and check it is the same as previous text.

I would be against granting large discounts, and maybe any discounts at all, depending on your relationship with the client.

Best

Spencer
[addsig]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
No discount at all Apr 14, 2003

Whenever a client approaches me with such requests, I refuse him point blank. Are you responsible for the repetition? Even to cut and paste one has to be very careful, indeed even more so than in the case of original translation. My advice: Never discuss with the client about the nuts and bolts of the job. He requires something to be translated and a translator is required for that. He cannot do it himself. You provide him the solution. That\'s all there is to it. Some clients want us to leave o... See more
Whenever a client approaches me with such requests, I refuse him point blank. Are you responsible for the repetition? Even to cut and paste one has to be very careful, indeed even more so than in the case of original translation. My advice: Never discuss with the client about the nuts and bolts of the job. He requires something to be translated and a translator is required for that. He cannot do it himself. You provide him the solution. That\'s all there is to it. Some clients want us to leave out numbers from the word count saying that they are not translated. Maybe. But only a translator knows where to put the numbers in the final text and that is what translation is all about. Have pride in your work and do not accept such demeaning conditions.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dicounted rate for repetition in the source text?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »