Thread poster: TRANS4CHINA
TRANS4CHINA
TRANS4CHINA  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 19, 2008

最近看新闻报道说,面临巨额财政赤字,明年美国很可能会大量发行纸币,从而导致美元贬值。美元发行量实际上已在增加,之所以没有贬值反而在升值,是因为在全球共同应对经济危机的情况下,各国对美元的需求都很大,美元出现“暂时短缺”的状况。然而,一旦危机度过,市场信心恢复,各国对美元的需求量就会下降,那时美元的大量发行就会导致其贬值。基于这种情况,我想应该在适当的时候把收汇收入兑换成人民币,大家是怎么想的呢?

Red & Black
Red & Black  Identity Verified
Spanish to Chinese
+ ...
Insightful! Oct 19, 2008

Mingle Ji wrote:

最近看新闻报道说,面临巨额财政赤字,明年美国很可能会大量发行纸币,从而导致美元贬值。美元发行量实际上已在增加,之所以没有贬值反而在升值,是因为在全球共同应对经济危机的情况下,各国对美元的需求都很大,美元出现“暂时短缺”的状况。然而,一旦危机度过,市场信心恢复,各国对美元的需求量就会下降,那时美元的大量发行就会导致其贬值。基于这种情况,我想应该在适当的时候把收汇收入兑换成人民币,大家是怎么想的呢?

Correct! You are thinking almost the same way as Joseph in Egypt (cf. Old Testament). Joseph kept corns when there were abundant and sold them when there was a famine.

My husband told me the other day the same thing as you write here. He said, since my government pays me in US dollars and Taiwan needs US dollars just as bad as the other countries, we shall live on US dollars in Taiwan. His income last month was about 10 thousand USD. However, it was 2/3 in EUR. So, we decide to take 1/3 of his USD income to combine with my income in USD for our living sustainment in Taiwan and leave EUR in Europe while the exchange rates for EUR to USD and New Taiwan Dollar (NTD) are dropping and the interest rates in Europe are going up.

As you reasoned, when the over issuing of USD comes to the extent that the depreciation is felt, EUR will go up while USD drops and then it is time to move EUR back to Taiwan for living sustainment while we will just keep the USD income Argentina for another "circle of 7 years."

I think every freelancer in Asia shall be prepared for such impact of a depreciation of USD during the second quarter of the next year.

[Edited at 2008-10-19 19:54]

Michael Arnold
Michael Arnold  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
高手 Oct 20, 2008

兄台的分析够专业,在译员里估计很少见到有人会提这么有深度的金融问题,呵呵呵。

可惜我是一个金融白痴+外汇白痴,这个问题我无法回答。

一起期盼个中高人解答!

Michael Arnold
Michael Arnold  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
看到一个类似的帖子! Oct 20, 2008

看到一个类似的帖子!http://wenda.tianya.cn/wenda/thread?tid=44c91e3262221024

兄台看后也许会有收获。

TRANS4CHINA
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
我可不是什么高手 Oct 21, 2008

这些内容也是我网上看到的,今天现汇买入价又降了,是不是时候该把美元卖掉了,我也是在这等高人出来解答。

Angeline PhD
Angeline PhD  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
:) Oct 21, 2008

阿姨是个中高手:)

Red & Black wrote:

Correct! You are thinking almost the same way as Joseph in Egypt (cf. Old Testament). Joseph kept corns when there were abundant and sold them when there was a famine.

My husband told me the other day the same thing as you write here. He said, since my government pays me in US dollars and Taiwan needs US dollars just as bad as the other countries, we shall live on US dollars in Taiwan. His income last month was about 10 thousand USD. However, it was 2/3 in EUR. So, we decide to take 1/3 of his USD income to combine with my income in USD for our living sustainment in Taiwan and leave EUR in Europe while the exchange rates for EUR to USD and New Taiwan Dollar (NTD) are dropping and the interest rates in Europe are going up.

As you reasoned, when the over issuing of USD comes to the extent that the depreciation is felt, EUR will go up while USD drops and then it is time to move EUR back to Taiwan for living sustainment while we will just keep the USD income Argentina for another "circle of 7 years."

I think every freelancer in Asia shall be prepared for such impact of a depreciation of USD during the second quarter of the next year.

[Editd at 2008-10-19 19:54]

Red & Black
Red & Black  Identity Verified
Spanish to Chinese
+ ...
Oh, hello! Oct 21, 2008

Angeline_sh wrote:

Angeline,

Nice to meet you here. My best part told me about you. Congratulations for the new member of your family, a baby!

In order not to have to start a new thread with a new topic, let's abide with the topic of this thread: Financial crisis and how to ensure the value of foreign exchanges we translators earn.

I am not good in this stuff. I just follow my instinct. The reasoning does my best part. The exchange rate for USD is overvalued and it will keep on for a while, because everybody has to help Uncle Sam. The pain will be felt after the second quarter of next year and everybody pays some more to Uncle Sam.

A currency is a commodity, too. We buy when it's abundant and sell when the demand is high. That's one way to avoid working too hard for too less.

As a freelance translator, it is time to ask for more EUR payments and save it for later exchange. The European clients would be very happy to pay EUR for at least the following 3 to 8 months. It would be unwise to make them paying in USD, unless one really needs the money for now. If the latter is the case, either ask for a raise of your rate or ask for USD for the next few months. The European clients won't be happy this way. So, do some more jobs for the North American clients. It won't hurt them, anyway.

By the way, have you heard about Island? I am wondering who might be the next. Switzerland? My best part is convinced that the Swiss bankers are too smart to be hurt. Let's wait and see which country goes broke as the next.

Take good care.

- Auntie Red & Black

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
阿姨的老公 Oct 21, 2008

Angeline_sh wrote:

真正的高手是阿姨的老公,我说过,除了孔子和毛主席,被人引用最多的也就是阿姨的老公这个高手了。没见Red&Black每贴必说my husband said或my husby told me或my husby would say么?

开个玩笑。

[Edited at 2008-10-21 06:11]

TRANS4CHINA
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谁是阿姨的老公? Oct 21, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel是Red & Black的老公?
如果猜错了,请见谅。
Wenjer Leuschel确实是真正的高手,我的问题等好久都没人回答,最后都是他解决的。

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 16:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't think Euro will go up, Oct 23, 2008

Red & Black wrote:

Mingle Ji wrote:

[Edited at 2008-10-19 19:54]

and the interest rate for Euro zone is set to go lower not higher. The near term (say one year) trend for Euro is bearish and dollar will stay strong for a while. teh exchange rate between Yuan and dollar hasn't budged much since late July. Given the slow down of China's economy and the loosening of monetary policy in China, IMO, the exchange rate between yuan and dollar will remain stable for a while.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:15
Chinese to English
+ ...
prescient Oct 23, 2008

isahuang wrote:

I don't think Euro will go up,

and the interest rate for Euro zone is set to go lower not higher. The near term (say one year) trend for Euro is bearish and dollar will stay strong for a while. teh exchange rate between Yuan and dollar hasn't budged much since late July. Given the slow down of China's economy and the loosening of monetary policy in China, IMO, the exchange rate between yuan and dollar will remain stable for a while.

Tingting,

Your last call on the top of the Euro was very good. However, like the average Joe in the United States, I don't usually pay attention to the fluctuation of different currencies.

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/63298-我们这里有外汇市场专家吗?m+m+m!-page27.html#843050

April 25, 1 Euro = 1.5634 USD

April 25, 1 Euro = 10.9586 Chinese Yuan

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/EUR/hist2008.html

http://www.x-rates.com/d/CNY/EUR/hist2008.html

[Edited at 2008-10-23 03:39]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Joe oh Joe Oct 23, 2008

wherestip wrote:

However, like the average Joe in the United States, I don't usually pay attention to the fluctuation of different currencies.

So now we have Joe the Translator??? Hey, Joe the Translator, would you like to have a six-pack????

I am glad the US dollar is going up, well, at least against Singapore dollar. I am upset about the New Zealand dollar though. I set up a 3-mth NZD fixed deposit account in July and since then NZD has been depreciating against SGD. Don't think I should draw the money out at the end of this month. I am feeling bad because I got my mum to do this with me too. You know how old folks are - they get worried when they know their investment is losing money. I told her I'll give her back the money plus interest this month and I'll hold on to the fixed deposit to wait for NZD to go up. This may take a year or more.

I'm really hoping US chooses the right president this time. It will certainly do good for the world economy. I'm rooting for this guy but it's not appropriate to discuss this here. He is the person to bring America out of the rut.

[Edited at 2008-10-23 05:50]

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
悬念片Hide and Seek, Academy Award® winner Robert De Niro stars Oct 23, 2008

Mingle Ji wrote:

Wenjer Leuschel是Red & Black的老公?
如果猜错了,请见谅。
Wenjer Leuschel确实是真正的高手,我的问题等好久都没人回答,最后都是他解决的。

比最近看的suspense-thriller HIDE AND SEEK的结局还悬念。

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
sweet though Oct 26, 2008

Dallas Cao wrote:

Angeline_sh wrote:

真正的高手是阿姨的老公,我说过,除了孔子和毛主席,被人引用最多的也就是阿姨的老公这个高手了。没见Red&Black每贴必说my husband said或my husby told me或my husby would say么?

开个玩笑。

[Edited at 2008-10-21 06:11]

阿姨的老公最近还有什么指示么?

美元贬值的话,那我是不是该赶紧看看自助游的攻略拿着人民币出国玩一趟再说呢?

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:15
Chinese to English
+ ...
Euro Oct 27, 2008

FWIW, here's an Associated Press article that has some analyses by currency market experts on some of the likely reasons for the recent steep drop in Euro ...

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/24/business/EU-Europe-Currency-Turmoil.php

Analysts said that the movements are symptomatic of the end of a long period when cheap credit fueled investment booms, a period which started in the wake of the terrorist attacks in the U.S. in 2001 when the U.S. Federal Reserve slashed interest rates. As investors now flee emerging market risk, beneficiaries have been the dollar and the yen, both considered safe haven currencies because of the lack of their banks' exposure to emerging markets.

"It seems reasonable to suppose that just about every major trend of the last six years that was fuelled either directly or indirectly by the availability of cheap and abundant cash is at risk of a significant, if not complete, unwind," said Neil Mellor, currency strategist at Bank of New York Mellon.

The euro fell in part on fears that European banks, particularly those in Germany and Austria, have lent heavily in countries such as Hungary, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus that may be in serious difficulty or even heading for financial collapse. As well, trouble in the east may hurt EU trade with the region.

p.s. chance, notice the mention of the prolonged period of cheap credit made availabe precipitated by the 9/11 terrorist attack.

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/63298-我们这里有外汇市场专家吗?m+m+m!-page28.html#947176

[Edited at 2008-10-27 20:21]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

金融危机时期,大家怎么处理外汇收入?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »