wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
此打油诗 不体现 “己所不欲,勿施于人” 的哲理 May 6, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim,[2] ethical code, or morality[3] that essentially states either of the following:
▪ (Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.[2]
▪ (Negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.
This concept describes a "reciprocal" or "two-way" relationship between one's self and others that involves both sides equally and in a mutual fashion.[4][5]
This concept can be explained from the perspective of psychology, philosophy, sociology, religion, etc.: Psychologically it involves a person empathizing with others. Philosophically it involves a person perceiving their neighbor as also "an I" or "self."[4][5] Sociologically, this principle is applicable between individuals, between groups, and between individuals and groups. (For example, a person living by this rule treats all people with consideration, not just members of his or her in-group.) Religion is an integral part of the history of this concept.[2][6]
As a concept, the Golden Rule has a history that long predates the term "Golden Rule" (or "Golden law", as it was called from the 1670s).[2][7] As a concept of "the ethic of reciprocity," it has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard way that different cultures use to resolve conflicts.[2][6] It has a long history, and a great number of prominent religious figures and philosophers have restated its reciprocal, "two-way" nature in various ways (not limited to the above forms).[2]
Statements that mirror the Golden Rule appear in Ancient Egypt in the story of The Eloquent Peasant.[8][clarification needed] Rushworth Kidder discusses the early contributions of Confucius (551–479 B.C.) (See a version in Confucianism below). Kidder notes that this concept's framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions".[9] According to Greg M. Epstein, " 'do unto others' ... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely."[10] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".

Hmm, isn't the spirit of this limerick way off the mark with the Golden Rule?

Personally, I don't approve of the mentality of treating others in a way one doesn't want to be treated oneself, especially when one gains an upper hand and is in a position to do so.

Besides, why pretend to be so enamored with such ill-treatment to start out with anyway? To endure ill-treatment due to circumstance is one thing; to be in love with it is entirely another.

[Edited at 2012-05-07 02:42 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:43
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Lovin it May 7, 2012

Absolutely. People who stayed in the industry stayed because they are, as said, enamored. Im one of those people who would re-read stuff I translated just for the heck of it.

wherestip wrote:

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim,[2] ethical code, or morality[3] that essentially states either of the following:
▪ (Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.[2]
▪ (Negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.
This concept describes a "reciprocal" or "two-way" relationship between one's self and others that involves both sides equally and in a mutual fashion.[4][5]
This concept can be explained from the perspective of psychology, philosophy, sociology, religion, etc.: Psychologically it involves a person empathizing with others. Philosophically it involves a person perceiving their neighbor as also "an I" or "self."[4][5] Sociologically, this principle is applicable between individuals, between groups, and between individuals and groups. (For example, a person living by this rule treats all people with consideration, not just members of his or her in-group.) Religion is an integral part of the history of this concept.[2][6]
As a concept, the Golden Rule has a history that long predates the term "Golden Rule" (or "Golden law", as it was called from the 1670s).[2][7] As a concept of "the ethic of reciprocity," it has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard way that different cultures use to resolve conflicts.[2][6] It has a long history, and a great number of prominent religious figures and philosophers have restated its reciprocal, "two-way" nature in various ways (not limited to the above forms).[2]
Statements that mirror the Golden Rule appear in Ancient Egypt in the story of The Eloquent Peasant.[8][clarification needed] Rushworth Kidder discusses the early contributions of Confucius (551–479 B.C.) (See a version in Confucianism below). Kidder notes that this concept's framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions".[9] According to Greg M. Epstein, " 'do unto others' ... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely."[10] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".

Hmm, isn't the spirit of this limerick way off the mark of the Golden Rule?

Personally, I don't approve of the mentality of treating others in a way one doesn't want to be treated oneself, especially when one gains an upper hand and is in a position to do so.

Besides, why pretend to be so enamored with such ill-treatment to start out with anyway? To endure ill-treatment due to circumstance is one thing; to be in love with it is entirely another.

[Edited at 2012-05-07 00:23 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
理解 May 7, 2012

Rita Pang wrote:

Absolutely. People who stayed in the industry stayed because they are, as said, enamored. Im one of those people who would re-read stuff I translated just for the heck of it.

wherestip wrote:

Hmm, isn't the spirit of this limerick way off the mark of the Golden Rule?

Rita,

We may have misunderstood each other. I'm not saying staying in the translation business when the compensation is low is not admirable. Instead I'm saying pretending to love being abused by a client might be a bit hypocritical. Frankly, that's how the 1st two lines in the limerick come across to me.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:43
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Quoting too much May 9, 2012

wherestip wrote:

Rita,

We may have misunderstood each other. I'm not saying staying in the translation business when the compensation is low is not admirable. Instead I'm saying pretending to love being abused by a client might be a bit hypocritical. Frankly, that's how the 1st two lines in the limerick come across to me.

Haha, no problem! I don't think I've misunderstood you, more likely I didn't express myself well enough. I think that people stayed in the business despite the shortcomings with the whole client relationship thing, and the low pay, likely because they REALLY enjoy their work and would put up with that kind of behaviour. I also think it's hypocritical to keep complaining about your work or the challenges thereof but kept on at it...as if almost egging people to abuse and use you

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:43
Chinese to English
打油诗 May 9, 2012

话归正传:

There was a translator from China
Whose work simply couldn't be finer
The clients paid well
And business was swell
But alas! The young man was a whiner

不是针对任何人啊!

Phil Hand
China
Chinese to English
打人诗? May 9, 2012

A translator works all through the night
Her terms are both stylish and right
But then comes a call
Client says "change it all!"
She'd like to piss on him from a great height

[Edited at 2012-05-09 02:10 GMT]

Phil Hand
China
Chinese to English
乐观版 May 9, 2012

Hey, if we're writing terrible poetry, might as well do it in our second language...

周末接到万字单,
不顾妻子不吃饭,
交稿松气出去玩,
次日迎来新挑战!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

客户虐我稿千遍,我待客户如初恋

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »