Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Chinese to English
Mar 23, 2014

各位网友:大家好,

我最近在Proz上找到我第一分录音翻译的案子。仲介要我可以把三分钟的电话对话翻英文的笔记。这个案子不必抄写,就要翻译而已。

我之前在本论坛上做了一些研究,看到人家推荐的价格计算是以一分钟来算。但一分钟的合理价位是多少?这份录音我花了三个小时去翻译,是否花太多时间?

那位仲介跟我说,三分钟的录音将会给我十块英镑(大概十六块美金)。因为录音上的对话比较清楚与说话者的口语速度不算快,所以对我来说是还ok的。但是,我并不清楚目前的市场行情,这样的价位是否太低?

如果各位可以分享您们的经验和意见,将感激不尽,因为我真的不知道这个价格是不是合理。

谢谢

马克

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Time Mar 23, 2014

This is a much higher rate than I charge, but my audio time to work time ratio is about 1:3.

Randy Wong
Randy Wong  Identity Verified
China
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
+ ...
这个也要看你的翻译速度 Mar 23, 2014

3分钟的录音你花了3个小时翻译未免太长了。相当于每小时只得到5美金的报酬。但如果你的翻译水平好,能在一小时完成的话就比较划算了。所以这个不单取决于对方的报价,也要看自己的速度来权衡。

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Rate is not "good"; if it's not profitable for you, don't do it Mar 23, 2014

For transcription, many people work on a guesstimate rate of six minutes of work for every minute of audio. Actual time can vary - I've had much worse than that, and I don't get much better, because I'm not a great typist.

Translation obviously adds some time on top. Unseen, I'd estimate a minimum of half an hour for a 3 minute recording. If you have access to the recording before you quote, then obviously you can give it a try and see how fast you can work.

If you're s
... See more
For transcription, many people work on a guesstimate rate of six minutes of work for every minute of audio. Actual time can vary - I've had much worse than that, and I don't get much better, because I'm not a great typist.

Translation obviously adds some time on top. Unseen, I'd estimate a minimum of half an hour for a 3 minute recording. If you have access to the recording before you quote, then obviously you can give it a try and see how fast you can work.

If you're spending 3 hours on this, it sounds like you're not really able to take on this kind of work. In terms of time, it's just too long. In terms of money, that means you're looking at earnings of GBP 3 per hour. Minimum wage is about 6 quid these days.

You can take jobs like this as learning experiences, if you think they're going to help you earn a decent rate later on. But clearly it's not a viable income stream for you now.

As to market rates, I don't think there is a single, widely accepted rate. You might be able to find rates paid by, for example, US government agencies, which can act as a kind of standard. But on the private market, anything goes.
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
这个价格太低 Mar 23, 2014

马克:

三分钟的电话对话会包含多少汉字?根据以下说法,至少会有约500字,翻成英文后至少会有300 words。
http://paper.wenweipo.com/2007/04/16/CH0704160049.htm
據介紹,日常生活中,一般人的語速為每分鐘160字至170字,演講語速可達每分鐘240字左右,播音語速可達每分鐘300字左右,相聲表演、體育解說的最高語速可達360字左右。目前,經過專門培訓、掌握中文速錄技術的速錄師已完全可以通過電腦把中文話音同步轉化為文字。

翻译录音时,你所花的时间和精力肯定比翻译现成文稿要多得多。例如,有些听不太清的话,你也许得反复地听。因此,如果按字数计,你的 rate per word 应高于你通常翻译文稿时的 rate。无论如何,10英镑是太低了,至少应收30 英镑。你这次最后翻出的英文有多少 words?如果你最后翻出的英文多于300 words,那么今后的收费还应再提高。

至于速度,你花了三小时翻译,确实是有点太慢。如果你最后翻出的英文确实只有约300 words,那么应该可以在一小时内完成。

GingerbreadMan
GingerbreadMan  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
中等水平的听译效率有多高? Mar 24, 2014

请问各位听译丰富的高手:
一般来说,
中等难度的材料,语速不是很快,也没什么特别的专业词汇,比如”网易公开课“中那些毕业演讲;
对于中等水平的听译人员来说,平均1分钟需要花多长时间,价格又是多少呢?
即给自己设置的时薪应该是多少?

crimsonguy
crimsonguy
United States
Local time: 06:34
Chinese to English
时间的换算应该是1:10,而非1:3 May 5, 2014

另外三分钟的录音也好,一分钟的录音也好,我最低收费USD30.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:34
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
3+ hours?? May 5, 2014

Let's not even think industry standards right now- would you work for 10 pounds for three hours even in your regular run-of-the-mill service/retail job?

I am quite sure you would say no. Why bother, then?

With all due respect, as Phil has said, perhaps you're just better off looking for different types of work, preferably where no audio is involved. This is not to say you are not qualified, but perhaps you simply work faster in working with different medium. However, if
... See more
Let's not even think industry standards right now- would you work for 10 pounds for three hours even in your regular run-of-the-mill service/retail job?

I am quite sure you would say no. Why bother, then?

With all due respect, as Phil has said, perhaps you're just better off looking for different types of work, preferably where no audio is involved. This is not to say you are not qualified, but perhaps you simply work faster in working with different medium. However, if you are finding yourself having to keep listening to the file again and again, perhaps you are more prepared to work with the written word instead.

I personally think the rate is very reasonable, but the time you're spending on it is not.

Someone else have also mentioned a minimum charge, which is also a good idea when it comes to quoting your client.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

合理录音翻译的价格怎么算?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »