Separate TMs for Simplified and Traditional Chinese?
Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Chinese to English
Sep 21, 2015

Hello,

Does everyone else here use separate TMs for simplified and traditional Chinese?

When I first started translating I created two separate TMs and have used them ever since. I don't think there is a way to combine them due to the differences with the script.

Does anyone work with just a single TM for both simplified and traditional? I can't see how it would work.

Thanks,

Mark

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Two for me too Oct 19, 2015

Mark Sanderson wrote:

Hello,

Does everyone else here use separate TMs for simplified and traditional Chinese?

When I first started translating I created two separate TMs and have used them ever since. I don't think there is a way to combine them due to the differences with the script.

Does anyone work with just a single TM for both simplified and traditional? I can't see how it would work.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

I, like you, use two sets of TMs for Simplified and Traditional for my Déjà Vu X3, which I think is happy with two sets rather than one in term of operation and perhaps original design.

Another reason is that I think it's easier for me to use them. When I translate Simpllfied I just use the Simplified TM and when Traditional I use the Traditional TM. Like 0 and 1 really.

I have done Oral Cantonese audio/video transcripts recently, hence I've opened the third TM for my easy access even though Cantonese is also Traditional.

To be honest, I did worry a bit whether the CAT system would be confused if I mixed Simplified and Traditional into one, hence I did not combine them.

Not sure this makes sense. What CAT tool do you use?

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Separate TMs for Simplified and Traditional Chinese?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »