Traditional Chinese in Big 5 Code
Thread poster: Angela Huang
Angela Huang
Angela Huang
Canada
Local time: 00:35
English to Chinese
Jan 9, 2003

Dear colleaues, could you recommend a software for me to convert Simplified Chinese characters in GB code to Traditional Chinese in Big 5 code. I\'m using simplified Chinese Office 2000. Thanks a million!

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
Local time: 06:35
English to French
+ ...
Chinese Star or Twinbridge Jan 9, 2003

Try those two softwares, I think it works

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Jan 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-09 19:24, angelahy wrote:

Dear colleaues, could you recommend a software for me to convert Simplified Chinese characters in GB code to Traditional Chinese in Big 5 code. I\'m using simplified Chinese Office 2000. Thanks a million!

I think NJ Star(南极星,南極星) also works.

Dave Mayer
Dave Mayer
Local time: 12:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
you can use MS Word to do Big5-GB conversions Jan 10, 2003

Angela,

MS Word 2000 has a Big5/GB conversion function. Go to (Big5) ㄣ > 粂ē > いゅ锣传

Then click the appropriate button to choose which direction you need to convert. As soon as you click on 絋﹚, the entire file will be converted.

Hope this helps

David Mayer, Taipei

Angela Huang
Angela Huang
Canada
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nicolas Jan 10, 2003

Thank you very much Nicolas, I\'ll give them a try.

Angela Huang
Angela Huang
Canada
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Hi,thank you so much for your prompt help Jan 10, 2003

I have another quesiton. I guess people who don\'t have NJStar installed in their computer won\'t be able view a NJStar file. Can I copy and paste the characters in big5 code onto a MS Word file?

I\'m sorry I might have asked a stupid question.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
We can say good-bye to the Chinese Word file conversion problem! Jan 10, 2003

Angela,

You asked a very good question. As a matter of fact, I was thinking to post my findings in regarding to such question a few weeks ago, but got distracted by the holidays.

As we all know, it had been a pain in the neck for long time to convert Simplified Chinese characters (GB code) to Traditional Chinese characters (Big5 code), or vice versa. However, this is not a problem anymore, especially for the PC users who have Windows 2000 or XP and als
... See more
Angela,

You asked a very good question. As a matter of fact, I was thinking to post my findings in regarding to such question a few weeks ago, but got distracted by the holidays.

As we all know, it had been a pain in the neck for long time to convert Simplified Chinese characters (GB code) to Traditional Chinese characters (Big5 code), or vice versa. However, this is not a problem anymore, especially for the PC users who have Windows 2000 or XP and also use MS Office 2000 or XP like myself.

Microsoft developed 2 software packages to handle such conversion job. One is called “Microsoft Proofreading Tool”, the other is “Multilanguage User’s Interface.” You only need one of them to get such job done. You can find more information about these two software programs in Microsoft’s website.

After one of these programs is installed, you can open a Chinese Word file, say in GB code, then go to “Tools” in the menu bar, rollover “Language” and select “Chinese translation”, then a popup window appears, asking you the conversion direction, select the radio button you want. Before the blink of your eyes, the job is done! These two programs work with MS Word seamlessly, and made the Chinese conversion in a breeze. I have been using them for over five months now, and never have had a problem. I am so pleased with them, and wish you all should have it.

Good luck!

Kevin

P.S.

jinshi is absolutely correct. I use the Chinese keyboard came with the Windows XP (Windows 2000 also have them). It works very smooth with MS Office. No computer freeze and compatibility problems anymore, but I do feel sorry about all those Chinese language vendors losing business to Microsoft. I did have to buy a Chinese font package to increase my Chinese font selections, because the Windows only give 2 fonts for the SCH characters and 2 fonts for the TCH characters.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-10 18:38]
Collapse

jinshi
jinshi
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Kevin is right! Jan 10, 2003

Also you may choose to use \"微软拼音输入法\" by selecting on the toolbar \"简\" or \"繁\" to type desired Chinese character at the translation stage.

Good luck!

Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Chinese to English
+ ...
It's simpler if you use Chinese Word 2000. Jan 10, 2003

Open the simplified Chinese file, click Tools and then Language(s), and a pleasant surprise! You will find SC & TC Conversion and click on it and it\'s done!

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not stupid at all! Jan 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-10 01:35, angelahy wrote:

I have another quesiton. I guess people who don\'t have NJStar installed in their computer won\'t be able view a NJStar file. Can I copy and paste the characters in big5 code onto a MS Word file?

Everything you save in a NJ Star file can be cop... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-10 01:35, angelahy wrote:

Everything you save in a NJ Star file can be copied and pasted onto an MS Word file and saved again as an MS Word file. I have been doing this for quite a long time, and all my clients have been happy with that. What I can assure you is that any computer with MS Word(either English or Chinese) installed can read your file (in SC or TC) without any problem.

HTH

Betty ▲ Collapse

Angela Huang
Angela Huang
Canada
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Folks, I'm so grateful to you all for your prompt help! Jan 10, 2003

Thank Nicolas, BBW, David, Kevin, Jinshi and Y_Bill for helping out!

Nicolas and BBW, I tried Chinese Star last night, but I can\'t read the file I converted to Big5 code myself. I\'m wondering whether it\'s converted properly.

David, Jinshi and Y_Bill, I saw a conversion button on the toolbar but does it convert to Traditional Characters in GB code or in Big5 code?

And Kevin, thank you so much for writing me a detailed instruction. So from your experience, do you t
... See more
Thank Nicolas, BBW, David, Kevin, Jinshi and Y_Bill for helping out!

Nicolas and BBW, I tried Chinese Star last night, but I can\'t read the file I converted to Big5 code myself. I\'m wondering whether it\'s converted properly.

David, Jinshi and Y_Bill, I saw a conversion button on the toolbar but does it convert to Traditional Characters in GB code or in Big5 code?

And Kevin, thank you so much for writing me a detailed instruction. So from your experience, do you think it\'s worthwhile to invest for the two MS packages?

Thank you all again for your great help!

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traditional Chinese in Big 5 Code

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »