Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 13:07
Membre (2008)
anglais vers danois
+ ...
Apr 17, 2008

I have recently had to give Open Office in favour of Word, simply because all translation tools seems to be built around Word. I downloaded a trial of Word 2007, and I must say I am not very impressed. I'm using it with Metatexis, and everytime I open a segment from a bulleted list an start to translate, the font changes to Symbol!

I have the maker of Metatexis working on it, but I'm not sure I want to buy Word 2007 - it's not the only thing I'm not happy with. I am thinking of buyi
... See more
I have recently had to give Open Office in favour of Word, simply because all translation tools seems to be built around Word. I downloaded a trial of Word 2007, and I must say I am not very impressed. I'm using it with Metatexis, and everytime I open a segment from a bulleted list an start to translate, the font changes to Symbol!

I have the maker of Metatexis working on it, but I'm not sure I want to buy Word 2007 - it's not the only thing I'm not happy with. I am thinking of buying Word 2003 instead.

Any suggestion thoughts?
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexique
Local time: 06:07
espagnol vers anglais
I personally prefer Word 2003 Apr 17, 2008

But maybe that is just because I haven't seen that word 2007 has any improvements so it just seems to imply relearning where everything is with its new layout. Life is too short to relearn what is essentially the same program.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlande
Local time: 15:07
Membre (2003)
finnois vers allemand
+ ...
Word is loosing out Apr 18, 2008

The fact is, that most modern Translation Environments have their own editor and that even tools like Wordfast and Metatexis will soon get their own editor interface. So Word will lose us eventually. Of course those who own a Word XP or earlier will continue to use it if they wish.
Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-04-18 10:49]

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Allemagne
Local time: 14:07
allemand vers anglais
Word 2007 is slightly disappointing. Apr 19, 2008

To my great surprise, I'm finding that Word 2007 actually crashes now and then. After all this time, and with all those talented programmers at Microsoft working on the company's flagship product, I hardly expected crashes.

It does seem as though Word 2007 just re-arranges the interface to pre-existing functionality as Lesley noticed. One new, and apparently arbitrary, change is that you can save files in "Word 97-2003-Document" or in "Word-Document" format. It's not clear to me w
... See more
To my great surprise, I'm finding that Word 2007 actually crashes now and then. After all this time, and with all those talented programmers at Microsoft working on the company's flagship product, I hardly expected crashes.

It does seem as though Word 2007 just re-arranges the interface to pre-existing functionality as Lesley noticed. One new, and apparently arbitrary, change is that you can save files in "Word 97-2003-Document" or in "Word-Document" format. It's not clear to me why Microsoft needs to introduce yet another document format, but they have.

Although I no fan of Microsoft, I have to give them credit for imposing a standard word processing interface on third-party application developers. If you have no time to learn new Word versions, won't it be fun to have to learn radically different word processing interfaces for every third-party application that comes along? The ideal solution, IMHO, would be for all of the third-party developers to simultaneously abandon Word and flock to Open Office.
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
anglais vers allemand
With Bartholomew Apr 22, 2008

Agree with OO suggestion. There are only two features of OO that score on the minus side compared to Word: alphanum sorting a large number of paragraphs may be faulty without any message (Words say "File too big") and "Search and Replace" does not find paragraph marks, line breaks; Word finds them. With "large number" I'm talking about thousands of paragraphs.
Regards.

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
anglais vers danois
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
I am definitely going for word 2003 Apr 22, 2008

- I should get it soon, it's being discontinued.

I much prefer OO, but I need the Windows format for the CAT software preferred by clients.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
anglais vers allemand
re Ivana Friis Wilson Apr 28, 2008

Dear Ms. Wilson,
my OO version is capable of exporting .docs in various Word formats. So far no one has complained about the files not being a "native" Word doc.
Regards.

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
anglais vers danois
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
It's the cat tools... Apr 28, 2008

Same here - it's the CAT tools that are the problems, Trados, Wordfats etc are exclusively made for Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flaky Word 2007?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »