Excel challenge
Inițiatorul discuției: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 06:10
din germană în engleză
Apr 24, 2008

Hi, my dad usually does my bookkeeping and invoicing and has disappeared off to China for a month leaving my sister with the dubious privilege. Dad uses a rather complicated method involving Excel and has left my sister with a problem:

The job involves invoicing using a set of 4 spreadsheets which use pivot tables (whatever they are). I have to refresh one of the files and when I do so I get an error message saying that it "Cannot open Pivot Table source file xxx". The xxx is the fi
... See more
Hi, my dad usually does my bookkeeping and invoicing and has disappeared off to China for a month leaving my sister with the dubious privilege. Dad uses a rather complicated method involving Excel and has left my sister with a problem:

The job involves invoicing using a set of 4 spreadsheets which use pivot tables (whatever they are). I have to refresh one of the files and when I do so I get an error message saying that it "Cannot open Pivot Table source file xxx". The xxx is the file path on my dad's computer to where the files are stored. I have tried to set up that path on my computer but I'm using Windows Vista and it won't let me create the folder Documents and Settings on the C drive. It looks to me like I need to work out how to tell the Refresh where to look on my computer for the files it needs for this pivot table.

Does anyone know how to do this in Excel 2007 and can tell me in simple terms?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Gillian
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Suedia
Local time: 07:10
din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
Vista challenge Apr 24, 2008

Gillian Searl wrote:

The job involves invoicing using a set of 4 spreadsheets which use pivot tables (whatever they are). I have to refresh one of the files and when I do so I get an error message saying that it "Cannot open Pivot Table source file xxx". The xxx is the file path on my dad's computer to where the files are stored. I have tried to set up that path on my computer but I'm using Windows Vista and it won't let me create the folder Documents and Settings on the C drive. It looks to me like I need to work out how to tell the Refresh where to look on my computer for the files it needs for this pivot table.

Does anyone know how to do this in Excel 2007 and can tell me in simple terms?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Gillian

Hi Gillian,

This is more of a Vista challenge than an Excel challenge. All the security warnings and "can't do this" is such a nuisance...

My first suggestion would be: buy/borrow an old laptop from a friend, that runs a more reasonable Windows version. Move all the files, and do your work there instead!

Second suggestion: you can actually tweak Vista and create folders. What most people do is to abandon the native file browser, and install a trial of Total Commander or other alternative explorer. TC will ignore all stupid warnings and actually do what you tell the computer to do!

Good luck,

/J

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel challenge

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »