Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 25, 2008

Hello,

I have received a long translation text, where some of the parts should be left untranslated. I would like to lock certain parts in the text in order to keep the formating and do not make any mistakes or mixing up the instructions while translating with Trados.

Is there any good way to do it? It is probably a very basic question but have not had any need for it before.

Thank you!... See more
Hello,

I have received a long translation text, where some of the parts should be left untranslated. I would like to lock certain parts in the text in order to keep the formating and do not make any mistakes or mixing up the instructions while translating with Trados.

Is there any good way to do it? It is probably a very basic question but have not had any need for it before.

Thank you!
Ieva
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
difficult Oct 25, 2008

Hi Ieva,

You are indeed asking a very difficult and advanced question. I don't think you can actually do that. Instead of locking certain parts, you can backup the file or copy these parts to an empty file.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Format non translatable text as hidden Oct 25, 2008

and process the file in Tageditor.
This way you will keep everything as it was without having lots of extra work.
After you are ready simple mark the whole text (CTRL+A) and deselect the "hidden text" option.
This is really as simple as that.
BTW, this trick will NOT work for Word 2007, so you need Word 2003 for that.

PS
If the text has any regularities (ie formatted in blue or with a different font), you could even use search and replace function for h
... See more
After you are ready simple mark the whole text (CTRL+A) and deselect the "hidden text" option.

PS
If the text has any regularities (ie formatted in blue or with a different font), you could even use search and replace function for hidding it.

[Edited at 2008-10-25 15:33]
Collapse

Nikolaos Katris
Nikolaos Katris  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:52
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
tw4winExternal trados style Oct 25, 2008

You have to apply the "tw4winExternal" in the sentences you don't want to translate. Workbech will skip all sentences with this style. But I am not sure how you create this style. What I do is copy the formatting from another word document that contains that style. You can download this file here:

www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=8042.0

Friedrich Reinold
Friedrich Reinold
United States
Local time: 01:52
Member (2003)
English to German
Define appropriate styles and set as non-translatable Oct 25, 2008

You could define appropriate styles in Word that match the given formatting, apply them to the passages not to be translated, and set them as non-translatable in Trados.

[Edited at 2008-10-25 16:07]

Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 25, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

PS
If the text has any regularities (ie formatted in blue or with a different font), you could even use search and replace function for hidding it.

[Edited at 2008-10-25 15:33]

Thank you very much! This seemed to be the easest way to solve this. I have word 2007 and I found the way to make it work in that too! I selected the text to wamt to hide and then with write click chose "fonts", under that there was an option "hide". It disappeared and did not show in tag editor. I tested with some fragments of the text to see if I spoil the formating, but it worked fine. I also put a document protection for the hidden parts so that I cannot unintentionally do any changes in formating.

And thanks for the advice regarding the search function. The client indeed had marked all the untranslatable texts in blue with special formating.

THIS WILL SAVE ME SO MUCH TIME!
Thank you very veru much!

Ieva

Peter Mechenov
Peter Mechenov
Local time: 11:52
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you Ieva Sep 2, 2011

You saved me a lot of time!!!!!!!

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Nov 28, 2011

Nikolaos Katris wrote:

You have to apply the "tw4winExternal" in the sentences you don't want to translate. Workbech will skip all sentences with this style. But I am not sure how you create this style. What I do is copy the formatting from another word document that contains that style. You can download this file here:

www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=8042.0

Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for, if you ever visit Serbia drinks are on me

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I lock parts of a text in Word?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »