Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:08
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2009

I'm not quite sure what this is, but I gather it would allow me to sign contracts and NDAs without having to scan or fax them (I don't have a convenient fax machine and can't figure out how to hook up my scanner to Linux!). I've googled about, but cannot figure out just what a registered electronic signature is or how I can get one.

There is one previous forum thread on this, but the advice was to scan your signature and copy and paste it into a Word document, then save that as a se
... See more
I'm not quite sure what this is, but I gather it would allow me to sign contracts and NDAs without having to scan or fax them (I don't have a convenient fax machine and can't figure out how to hook up my scanner to Linux!). I've googled about, but cannot figure out just what a registered electronic signature is or how I can get one.

There is one previous forum thread on this, but the advice was to scan your signature and copy and paste it into a Word document, then save that as a secured PDF. I have done that on other occasions, but on this occasion the contract, etc., are submitted in PDF and I do not see a way to copy and paste onto the signature line. In any case that would not be a "registered" signature, which is what my client mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

[Edited at 2009-10-15 11:20 GMT]
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:08
Member (2007)
English to Italian
What I do Oct 15, 2009

When I receive WO in pdf format, I open the file with Acrobat (full view, i.e.: the whole page displayed on the screen). I then hit the ***print*** key on the PC, open Microsoft Paint, paste the image and save the file in jpeg format. Then open MS Word, insert the jpeg image saved, paste also your digitalized signature and save the document in pdf format.

Dunno if it can work for you, but anyway...
Gianni
... See more
When I receive WO in pdf format, I open the file with Acrobat (full view, i.e.: the whole page displayed on the screen). I then hit the ***print*** key on the PC, open Microsoft Paint, paste the image and save the file in jpeg format. Then open MS Word, insert the jpeg image saved, paste also your digitalized signature and save the document in pdf format.

Dunno if it can work for you, but anyway...
Gianni

[Edited at 2009-10-15 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 12:08
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just create a stamp Oct 15, 2009

Tools > Comment&Markup > Stamps

You might try this one. I assume this is only working in Acrobat Professional.

Regards.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:08
German to Spanish
No, no Oct 15, 2009

I think what your client needs is a legal signature, the question is another one. Everybody knows how to paste a image (signature) in a document. But the question, i assume, is how to validate a electronic signature, how to make a legal use of your signature. For this you have to pay AFAIK, there are some legal sites where you can register.

Or am I wrong?

Regards

[Edited at 2009-10-15 12:13 GMT]

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Electronic signature looks different from your hand-written signature. Oct 15, 2009

It's a file that you create in Adobe Acrobat Professional. In Acrobat open Advanced > Sign and Certify > Place Signature, or hit the "Sign" icon, and follow the instructions. You'll be prompted to create a signature by entering some information. You'll create it once and it will be saved in your documents. Then, as soon as you need to sign a document, you'll just follow the above described steps or hit the "Sign" icon, and the signature will be placed in your document, where you want it to appea... See more
It's a file that you create in Adobe Acrobat Professional. In Acrobat open Advanced > Sign and Certify > Place Signature, or hit the "Sign" icon, and follow the instructions. You'll be prompted to create a signature by entering some information. You'll create it once and it will be saved in your documents. Then, as soon as you need to sign a document, you'll just follow the above described steps or hit the "Sign" icon, and the signature will be placed in your document, where you want it to appear.Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
verisign (or similar) Oct 15, 2009

go to their website and you'll find all relevant informations

the digital signature is not expensive, you can sign even e-mails, and I think there is still a demo to try

I had it for 1 year but thereafter I renounced because many customers of mine (10% or so) had problems to read my signed e-mails and NO ONE agency of mine (the other 80%) has ever understood the importance (to me) to have a signed e-mail address and to sign work documents ...
;-D

B
... See more
go to their website and you'll find all relevant informations

the digital signature is not expensive, you can sign even e-mails, and I think there is still a demo to try

I had it for 1 year but thereafter I renounced because many customers of mine (10% or so) had problems to read my signed e-mails and NO ONE agency of mine (the other 80%) has ever understood the importance (to me) to have a signed e-mail address and to sign work documents ...
;-D

BUT, if you need only to put a picture of your sign on a PDF, you can simply use Foxit Editor

For some odd reason, my Adobe Acrobat Pro doesn't allow to put an image on a PDF
(or at least I was not able to find this option

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-10-15 18:08 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:08
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 22, 2009

Thank you all for your suggestions. I got swamped by a big job and haven't had a chance to pursue them yet, but will do so as soon as I'm out from under it. I'll start by talking to a friend who has Adobe Acrobat.
Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a "registered electronic signature"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »