Skype hijack of on screen (phone) numbers
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:08
Italian to English
Oct 21, 2009

I downloaded a Skype upgrade a few months ago.

Ever since, whenever there is a phone number on screen, in practically every format (web page, pdf etc.) or even a number that could legitimately be a phone number but isn't, I see a Skype version of it that can be clicked for a Skype Out call. This is a grey band with semi-circular ends, containing country flag for the international code (or a UK flag if there is none) and the number - or more usually part of the number - I have to hov
... See more
I downloaded a Skype upgrade a few months ago.

Ever since, whenever there is a phone number on screen, in practically every format (web page, pdf etc.) or even a number that could legitimately be a phone number but isn't, I see a Skype version of it that can be clicked for a Skype Out call. This is a grey band with semi-circular ends, containing country flag for the international code (or a UK flag if there is none) and the number - or more usually part of the number - I have to hover the cursor over it and try to remember the whole number before it disappears.

It disappears when printed; I tried to send a pdf copy to my son, who is an IT techie but it reverted to the original format. I can't find anything in my Skype settings that works.

Does anyone have any experience of this please?

[Edited at 2009-10-21 12:45 GMT]
Collapse

Aniza Borhan
Aniza Borhan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 03:08
Member (2007)
English to Malay
+ ...
Check your browser Oct 21, 2009

Hi Russel,

I had the same problem before. However, I can't actually remember how I turned it off, but it had to do with something/somewhere in the browser that we use.

It appears like how your explained in my mails and anywhere else. But yes, once that button is turned off, or that choice is unchecked, all turn back normal. Someone must be able to provide an answer soon, but meanwhile, try and check your IE or Firefox and if I find it fast enough, I'll post a reply
... See more
Hi Russel,

I had the same problem before. However, I can't actually remember how I turned it off, but it had to do with something/somewhere in the browser that we use.

It appears like how your explained in my mails and anywhere else. But yes, once that button is turned off, or that choice is unchecked, all turn back normal. Someone must be able to provide an answer soon, but meanwhile, try and check your IE or Firefox and if I find it fast enough, I'll post a reply/comment again.
Collapse

Yury Rovnov (X)
Yury Rovnov (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:08
English to Russian
+ ...
It's a browser add-on Oct 21, 2009

So you can either delete the add-on altogether or push the "off" button (I think it should be there).

See here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/10/disable-uninstall-and-remove-skype-add-on-call-this-phone-number-on-web-page-and-toolbar-plugin-menu-in-ie/

Hope
... See more
So you can either delete the add-on altogether or push the "off" button (I think it should be there).

See here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/10/disable-uninstall-and-remove-skype-add-on-call-this-phone-number-on-web-page-and-toolbar-plugin-menu-in-ie/

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
If you have Firefox: Oct 21, 2009

Go to Tools, Add-ons und disable "Skype extension for FF".

This was indeed annoying...

Stephanie Ezrol
Stephanie Ezrol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
English
+ ...
Thank you very much Christel and everyone else Oct 21, 2009

I use the windows internet explorer with a google tool bar. I had to go to help, and found that Alt T took me to options described above.

I had uninstalled Skype last year because that feature was so horrible, and Skype was no help at all in responding to requests on how to turn it off. I re-installed Skype a few days ago and thought I had to live with that stupid feature.

This also enabled me to turn off an add-on from Microsoft money which was also very annoying.... See more
I use the windows internet explorer with a google tool bar. I had to go to help, and found that Alt T took me to options described above.

I had uninstalled Skype last year because that feature was so horrible, and Skype was no help at all in responding to requests on how to turn it off. I re-installed Skype a few days ago and thought I had to live with that stupid feature.

This also enabled me to turn off an add-on from Microsoft money which was also very annoying.

So thanks again.

[Edited at 2009-10-21 14:17 GMT]
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:08
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 21, 2009

Thank you all for your advice.

In the end, for IE, the only one that worked was the final option in Yury's link: locate SkypeIEPlugin.dll in hidden files and delete it.

I've got my numbers back!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:08
English to French
Tools>Options>Advanced>Check box "Use Skype to call callto: links on the internet Oct 21, 2009

I have this checkbox unchecked in Skype 4 and no skype icon on web pages.
I think it is checked by defaut.
Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype hijack of on screen (phone) numbers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »