Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2009

Hi there,

We're having font problems with a ppt file that has been translated into Polish. It is absolutely fine until it is uploaded onto the client's ftp site, at which point we end up with the characters that have diacritics getting slightly mangled - they are still legible, but the formatting is slightly off.

The font in question is Arial

Can anyone recommend an alternative font with similar aesthetics to Arial, but that is more 'bomb-proof'?
... See more
Hi there,

We're having font problems with a ppt file that has been translated into Polish. It is absolutely fine until it is uploaded onto the client's ftp site, at which point we end up with the characters that have diacritics getting slightly mangled - they are still legible, but the formatting is slightly off.

Can anyone recommend an alternative font with similar aesthetics to Arial, but that is more 'bomb-proof'?

Many thanks,

Dan
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
What about .pps Nov 25, 2009

Hi Dan

I can't help with the font, but would the client mind if you deliver it in .pps format?
First you'd need to check whether in .pps it also becomes mangled.

Just the first idea that comes to me...

Claudia

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Latin to English
+ ...
Font suggestion Nov 25, 2009

I don't know whether it would fix your problem but a very attractive font that looks much like Ariel is Calibri. (note that it's "calibri" with an initial "a", not the name of the hummingbird in some languages. Regards, Tom

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IMHO Nov 26, 2009

Dan Brennan wrote:

characters that have diacritics getting slightly mangled

I can see no problems with diacritics in the Arial that I have. Possibly, your Arial does not have the proper subset, and the characters are substituted.

Can anyone recommend an alternative font with similar aesthetics to Arial

Try FreeSans from the free fonts package, its metrics are almost identical to Arial’s, but the character set is richer.

Try also DejaVu fonts. Their shapes are quite different (they are derived from Bitstream), but they also have rich character coverages.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IMHO Nov 26, 2009

Dan Brennan wrote:

characters that have diacritics getting slightly mangled

I can see no problems with diacritics in the Arial that I have. Possibly, your Arial does not have the proper subset, and the characters are substituted.

Can anyone recommend an alternative font with similar aesthetics to Arial

Try FreeSans from the free fonts package, its metrics are almost identical to Arial’s, but the character set is richer.

Try also DejaVu fonts. Their shapes are quite different (they are derived from Bitstream), but they also have rich character coverages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

font/diacritic problem in ppt

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »