Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is anyone using the Cloud as offsite storage/backup?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Already Jan 25, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

.... I think that you would be better off using an external hard drive and a backup tool that can make an image of your bootable disk to the external drive.

I do this already.

May I also recommend that you make a bootable DVD containing an antivirus?.

Not necessary with the Mac OS, and in fact installing AV software on a Mac can generate problems.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
CrashPlan Jan 25, 2011

Nickolas Dagostino wrote:

if you backup your entire system, your computer will never really stop backing up.

But if something really bad happens and I lose *everything* including all my system files, applications, add-ons etc., I need to recover all of it. I don't necessarily need or want to be always connected to the CLoud backup facility. Only when I decide to backup - say once a day.

From the research & reviews I read, CrashPlan seemed like the best bet for Mac.

Yes, CrashPlan looks good and people say good things about it. But it's yet another monthly outgoing, every month....

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Jan 25, 2011

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Tom, since you are a Mac user did you try Apple's MobileMe?

Yes, I should look into that. But I'm becoming more convinced by the argument that it's better not to entrust one's data, encrypted or not, to any third party - unless the third party is a personal friend and the data is on a physical drive

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Dropbox and Carbonite Jan 25, 2011

I back up all my documents to Dropbox - so can read them on my laptop, PC or from the cloud.
I also back them and everything else on my PC to Carbonite - that way I have everything on Carbonite and my documents on Carbonite and Dropbox. Surely they won't both disappear off the face of the planet at the same time?!

Is it safe? Not sure but you could also get a friend/family member to store stuff on a large disk for you offsite. How will you get it to them? Over the net of cours
... See more
I back up all my documents to Dropbox - so can read them on my laptop, PC or from the cloud.
I also back them and everything else on my PC to Carbonite - that way I have everything on Carbonite and my documents on Carbonite and Dropbox. Surely they won't both disappear off the face of the planet at the same time?!

Is it safe? Not sure but you could also get a friend/family member to store stuff on a large disk for you offsite. How will you get it to them? Over the net of course. So which do you trust more - your friend/family member or a company with a big server...

Gillian
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:50
English to French
+ ...
MobileMe - not so great Jan 26, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Tom, since you are a Mac user did you try Apple's MobileMe?

Yes, I should look into that. But I'm becoming more convinced by the argument that it's better not to entrust one's data, encrypted or not, to any third party - unless the third party is a personal friend and the data is on a physical drive

That might be wiser indeed....

No regrets:
I just contacted Apple Customer Service and in fact MobileMe cannot do incremental backups (at least from a PC - I use both a Mac and a PC and wanted to sync them together - but AFAIK it's the same on a Mac).
The only service provided by MM is to stock the data you upload and allow you to access them from anywhere through your me.com account online. But if your data change you need to upload them manually again (that is, everyday, for us!)
The only sync that is made automatically is between your calendar, contacts and emails on the different Apple devices "connected" to MobileMe (computer, iPhone iPad etc.). The Documents folder can't be synced automatically.

ETA: moreover Apple takes no liability in case your data are lost...

[Edited at 2011-01-26 14:54 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is anyone using the Cloud as offsite storage/backup?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »