British Diana
Germany
Local time: 14:49
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
language professionals May 30, 2011

Thank you for your thoughts, Nikki

The key word here is "language professionals", you are right in that this is what these people are.
So when you say,

It really is quite a responsibility, as glossaries establishing lists of word-for-word translations can be problematic. If not used correctly in-house, the wrong word in the wrong context for example, chances are the client will consider it to be your fault. Just how basic or how expert do they expec... See more
Thank you for your thoughts, Nikki

The key word here is "language professionals", you are right in that this is what these people are.
So when you say,

It really is quite a responsibility, as glossaries establishing lists of word-for-word translations can be problematic. If not used correctly in-house, the wrong word in the wrong context for example, chances are the client will consider it to be your fault. Just how basic or how expert do they expect this to be?

the answer is, it will have to be foolproof and words with different usages will have to have several entries with examples. I am expecting this to be a requirement. It is not the sort of technical glossary giving a certain name to each nut and bolt!

I am of course also expecting to be paid for anything I do, not that the company has got as far as giving me an assignment yet, but I want to be prepared so that I know what I may be letting myself in for - and in order to sound a bit knowledgeable, of course!
Collapse

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
Local time: 14:49
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Taking the plunge - Wordfast for dummies? Help in German? Jul 7, 2011

Hallo, I'm back!
I've just been reading about Wordfast and how it is possible to make a TM or glossary with this even if one has no experience with any such tools. I also see that the trial version can be downloaded free and works for up to 500 entries.

I am thinking of giving this a go and composing a mini-glossary with Wordfast, just to see if it works (or rather, just to see if I can work it ). Then armed wit
... See more
Hallo, I'm back!
I've just been reading about Wordfast and how it is possible to make a TM or glossary with this even if one has no experience with any such tools. I also see that the trial version can be downloaded free and works for up to 500 entries.

I am thinking of giving this a go and composing a mini-glossary with Wordfast, just to see if it works (or rather, just to see if I can work it ). Then armed with the mini-glossary I could talk to my client, who would hopefully give me the paid assignment and the wherewithall to buy the full version (about 180€ I hear?).
My queries?
Is wordfast really relatively foolproof?
Is there a beginners instruction manual online for it, preferably in German (as I am thinking of asking a German to help me install and try it out )?
Thanks a lot!
Diana
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a glossary for a client ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »