Using a macbook air with Trados
Thread poster: Charles Jones
Charles Jones
Charles Jones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:47
Spanish to English
Nov 27, 2011

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Works superbly Nov 28, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?

Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!

S P Willcock (X)
S P Willcock (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:47
German to English
+ ...
subsidiary (or more general) question Nov 28, 2011

apologies for piggy-backing my own question onto this one, but it seems just the right place for it...

I am a long-term Mac user (for no particular reason) faced with the prospect of having to work with Trados for the first time; the commercial agency who supplies the bulk of my work has said that they want all their freelancers to use Trados from now on, which in my case means having to buy a copy.

this is a headache for me since I don't even own a Windows for Mac li
... See more
apologies for piggy-backing my own question onto this one, but it seems just the right place for it...

I am a long-term Mac user (for no particular reason) faced with the prospect of having to work with Trados for the first time; the commercial agency who supplies the bulk of my work has said that they want all their freelancers to use Trados from now on, which in my case means having to buy a copy.

this is a headache for me since I don't even own a Windows for Mac licence. for more than a decade now I have been happily working with TextEdit, which can open MS Word files and then save my work in that format.

as far as I understand the product descriptions on the SDL site, Trados accepts all Microsoft text formats, but not others; is this right? so as well as having to buy a copy of Trados, I would also have to buy some sort of MS software. I am a complete beginner in all things Microsoft and would much appreciate any explanation of what, for instance, Parallels is, or VMWare.

I'd be happy to post all this as a new question if I'm too far off-topic here. I'm hoping for some help though, since I face having to pay a few hundred dollars in licence fees either just before Christmas or in the New Year, or lose about half my current income and be forced to look around for new clients.
Collapse

Laura Navetta
Laura Navetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm using Trados in my iMac Nov 28, 2011

Hi everybody!

I am currently using SDL Trados and Studio in my iMac through Bootcamp.
iMac has a disk partitioning: one storage unit with iOS and Windows in the other partition (through Bootcamp).

It's like having two different computers: one for fun and one for work!

And Trados seems to be working fine (I am using it for around 4 months).
As David said, the only challenge is th
... See more
Hi everybody!

I am currently using SDL Trados and Studio in my iMac through Bootcamp.
iMac has a disk partitioning: one storage unit with iOS and Windows in the other partition (through Bootcamp).

It's like having two different computers: one for fun and one for work!

And Trados seems to be working fine (I am using it for around 4 months).
As David said, the only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard, but I solved this probleme changing keyboard shortcuts in the Options of Studio.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not yet Nov 28, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air

As a long-time Mac user I would suggest you wait for a few months before buying.

If you buy a Mac now, it will come with Mac OSX Lion installed and there are many teething problems with Lion, a new operating system that is radically different from its predecessor.

I installed Lion a while ago and had so many issues with it (crashes, etc) that I went back to the previous OS (Snow Leopard).

Before you buy your Mac, I suggest you hang out for a while in the Lion discussion forums, here:

http://tinyurl.com/cfrqdy2

I would suggest you wait for Apple to release 3 or 4 updates to Lion, i.e. some time around Easter 2012.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Thanks for the tip Nov 28, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

As a long-time Mac user I would suggest you wait for a few months before buying.

If you buy a Mac now, it will come with Mac OSX Lion installed and there are many teething problems with Lion, a new operating system that is radically different from its predecessor.

I installed Lion a while ago and had so many issues with it (crashes, etc) that I went back to the previous OS (Snow Leopard).

Before you buy your Mac, I suggest you hang out for a while in the Lion discussion forums, here:

I would suggest you wait for Apple to release 3 or 4 updates to Lion, i.e. some time around Easter 2012.

Thanks Charles,

I was wondering when I would get around to upgrading (really want to use iCloud)... guess I'll wait!

Best,
John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

S P Willcock (X)
S P Willcock (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
emulators & virtualisers Nov 28, 2011

Having had a look around today at product descriptions, it seems that my main problem is the age of my iBook - it's a G4, and among the last of the pre-Intel generation. Parallels needs Intel chips to run on, and so does Bootcamp, and I daresay most of the other available alternatives. Obviously I need a new machine, but I might buy a Windows box just for agency work.

I have to say that as someone totally new to Trados, I found DSL's website rather unhelpful in setting out system r
... See more
Having had a look around today at product descriptions, it seems that my main problem is the age of my iBook - it's a G4, and among the last of the pre-Intel generation. Parallels needs Intel chips to run on, and so does Bootcamp, and I daresay most of the other available alternatives. Obviously I need a new machine, but I might buy a Windows box just for agency work.

I have to say that as someone totally new to Trados, I found DSL's website rather unhelpful in setting out system requirements; nowhere on the site did I learn that the product doesn't run on standard Macs, rather from spotting the discussion here.
Collapse

Charles Jones
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody! Nov 28, 2011

Thanks everybody for your input!

My fears of not being able to run Trados have now been put to rest. To be honest, the main reason I want the macbook aIr is..........because I want a Macbok Air! They´re lovely to look at and when using them in the department store near where I live, my kids have to pull me away.

I appreciate what Tom has said, but if Trados works, and I need a laptop now, then I´m already putting on my coat and reaching for the credit card.
... See more
Thanks everybody for your input!

My fears of not being able to run Trados have now been put to rest. To be honest, the main reason I want the macbook aIr is..........because I want a Macbok Air! They´re lovely to look at and when using them in the department store near where I live, my kids have to pull me away.

I appreciate what Tom has said, but if Trados works, and I need a laptop now, then I´m already putting on my coat and reaching for the credit card.

So, one last question - will I need to buy a copy of Windows? Is there a way round this?

Thanks again,

Charles
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Yes Nov 28, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am waiting for too, I hope April I will have...

...My new Macbook Pro AIR

Charles Jones
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Parallels, boot camp, vmware? Nov 28, 2011

While I´m at it, and hopefully you haven´t got too fed up with me yet which emulator would you all go for? Boot Camp seems to be fine (and free!), but should I get something else?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Big difference Dec 1, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

While I´m at it, and hopefully you haven´t got too fed up with me yet which emulator would you all go for? Boot Camp seems to be fine (and free!), but should I get something else?

Boot Camp you can use Mac OR Windows. With a Virtual Machine you use both together. I put Mac in screen 1 and Windows in screen 2 (spaces).

I startet with VMware Fusion but I think Parallels is similar. It is not expensive and you pay just once (not like some CATs where you have to pay each year a lot of money for a buggy update). There is also a free solution from SUN (Virtualbox).

Regards

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bizarre, Lion works great! Dec 1, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

That's really odd you say this as my Macbook Air with Lion pre-installed hasn't crashed once since August. I couldn't be happier with the OS in terms of features, speed, and usability.

I couldn't access the link you posted, by the way.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:47
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@David Dec 1, 2011

Here is the link: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.7_lion

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Parallels desktop Dec 1, 2011

I vote for the Paralles.

Having boot camp means work switching between two virtual computers that have one common hard drive, waiting every time for the restart.

Having parallels means work on one computer switching between two windows on the desktop (both systems launched simultaneously)

Charles Jones
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 2, 2011

Thanks for all your help. I think I´ll go for Parallels - it really isn´t that expensive.

And how about iWorks? Should I choose this over the Office package?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a macbook air with Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »