Thread poster: Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2007

Hi

I run Windows XP and use Office 2003. I have a powerful computer and a very fast broadband connection. I have absolutely no problems sending or receiving e-mail from anyone - except one company. Either their e-mails do not reach me (although mine seem to reach them more often) or they seem to arrive with a substantial delay. This problem is persistent and I can only conclude that the problem is at their end as I have no other problems with my system.

The only thing t
... See more
Hi

I run Windows XP and use Office 2003. I have a powerful computer and a very fast broadband connection. I have absolutely no problems sending or receiving e-mail from anyone - except one company. Either their e-mails do not reach me (although mine seem to reach them more often) or they seem to arrive with a substantial delay. This problem is persistent and I can only conclude that the problem is at their end as I have no other problems with my system.

The only thing that is different about this company that I think may be relevant is that it is located in China. Has anybody else experienced problems communicating with China??

Any suggestions??

Tina
Collapse

Victoria Bourseul
Victoria Bourseul  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
French to English
I had the same problem Oct 2, 2007

with a client here in Europe, but strangely it was only with one contact in the company. I still don't know why. We decided to use Skype to send messages and documents and that worked fine.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Me too Oct 2, 2007

I work in France, and for the last few months I've noticed that some (not all) e-mails get lost between wanadoo addresses - have no idea why and wanadoo ('orange' now) don't appear to be aware of any problem. I've also not received e-mails from a wanadoo.co.uk address (I'm wanadoo.fr).

Twilight zone...

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
I did too yesterday Oct 2, 2007

I work in Suriname and this customer is in the Netherlands.

I received messages from him through my Hotmail account , but no attachments through a specific server.

I finally received them through another server he used. I have never had problems before and have the opportunity to receive large attachments.

I hope that it is solved today. I have not had anything yet so I do not know.

Lucinda

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 21:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Email application Oct 2, 2007

What is the email application you use to send/receive emails from this Co.?

Regards

Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same Oct 2, 2007

The same as for all the others - standard Outlook from Office 2003.

Tina

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 21:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Trusted senders' list Oct 2, 2007

Try to put the sender's domain/email address within the "Trusted senders' list" and lets see.

Kind regards

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
To Katherine - Wanadoo Oct 2, 2007

The problem with wanadoo/orange is related to their new built-in spam filter that was launched in June 07. It is built-in to the majority of their offers, and can't be deactivated by the user, nor by their customer service !! I've had problems with that myself on my wanadoo adresses. It doesn't work very well, seems to be very aleatory in deciding what is spam and what isn't.

Orange did not do a very good of announcing this change, in fact when it happened, their own e-mail ann
... See more
The problem with wanadoo/orange is related to their new built-in spam filter that was launched in June 07. It is built-in to the majority of their offers, and can't be deactivated by the user, nor by their customer service !! I've had problems with that myself on my wanadoo adresses. It doesn't work very well, seems to be very aleatory in deciding what is spam and what isn't.

Orange did not do a very good of announcing this change, in fact when it happened, their own e-mail announcing the new service often went into spam boxes (as in my case) .... so many orange customers don't even know about this feature, as the spam goes directly into a spam box that can only be viewed on their webmail page. The spam is deleted after 7 days.

The partial solution to this problem is to set the spam filter to send all spam to the regular incoming box, rather than the separate spam box. Still, e-mails are marked as **SPAM** when they arrive, which prevents them from being automatically redirected to another e-mail address (my case !) You have to manually mark each message as "not spam".

There is a feature which allows you to create a "green list" and a "red list" of addresses, but I have noticed that some messages from people on my green-list still end up marked as spam ... it's a very annoying feature ! My only advice to anyone in France is to stay away from orange.

To the OP - no, haven't had any problems with China recently.
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
THANK YOU!!! Oct 2, 2007

Hi Lori,

Wow, I had no idea. That's really interesting! I never use the orange server and have just looked in my spam box and seen I have 150 messages! Fortunately mostly spam and nothing important (I noticed I was receiving less spam and thought things were calming down... ho ho, how naive!). No 'proper' messages, but none have been 'lost' recently. I'll check more often, particularly if they're binned after 7 days... that is so useful to know! Can't thank you enough!

... See more
Hi Lori,

Wow, I had no idea. That's really interesting! I never use the orange server and have just looked in my spam box and seen I have 150 messages! Fortunately mostly spam and nothing important (I noticed I was receiving less spam and thought things were calming down... ho ho, how naive!). No 'proper' messages, but none have been 'lost' recently. I'll check more often, particularly if they're binned after 7 days... that is so useful to know! Can't thank you enough!

Talk about not informing the customer. I even called them about it. Answer? "Duhhh, the sender's server probably don't work proper...".

Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

All the best,

Kate
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Lucky you Kate - glad that was helpful ! Oct 2, 2007

I had quite a few missing email problems before discovering the cause ... I had also noticed a decrease in spam - but didn't know why ! One particular missing email turned into a rather damaging situation - client thought I had received their order, and that work had begun, and I thought they weren't interested in my offer ... I had received all previous emails from that person, but not the actual order.

When I finally found out about that spambox, I discovered many valid emails
... See more
I had quite a few missing email problems before discovering the cause ... I had also noticed a decrease in spam - but didn't know why ! One particular missing email turned into a rather damaging situation - client thought I had received their order, and that work had begun, and I thought they weren't interested in my offer ... I had received all previous emails from that person, but not the actual order.

When I finally found out about that spambox, I discovered many valid emails marked as spam, and who knows how many valid emails disappeared between June and August (when I discovered the problem).

Now I have to waste time checking orange webmail several times a day to make sure nothing important got caught up - it's truly a nightmare, as I thought I had resolved all my mail problems by switching to Delosmail in February this year ...

My company does not want to completely change over from the wanadoo addresses to new addresses as that involves changing numerous catalogues, letterhead, business cards, etc... but considering the reaction we got from Orange regarding our problem - we have no other choice but to slowly migrate all our e-mails to new addresses .... it will take some time as we get a lot of contacts from various catalogues distributed around the world ... until now we have been happily using Delosmail and having all our mail automatically forwarded from various other domains ... what a complicated matter !
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail problems

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »